Sax on the Web Portal - Motivational, Inspiration

• Categories Widget (top-down)

• Recent Activity Widget

Nefertiti

Tenor Mouthpiece Website

Thread Starter: Nefertiti

Hey Everyone, New website is www.neffmusic.com I just got a piece back from Ed Zentera and decided to put a recording on there. I'm always trying different pieces so I figured I'd see if this might help any of you out there who are like me. I have 8 tenor piece right now and am trying to...

Last Post By: Nefertiti Yesterday, 07:24 PM Go to last post
    Harri Rautiainen

SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Thread Starter: Harri Rautiainen

Now, turning over a new leaf I'd like to welcome our new members to this community of saxophone players and woodwind aficionados. This thread is for you for introductions and expressing your innermost wishes and desires. SOTW administrators want to thank all members for your support during...

Last Post By: soptenit Yesterday, 12:16 AM Go to last post
    ChicagoJazz

Martin Fan Club

Thread Starter: ChicagoJazz

Hey Martin lovers! Let's not let the King Super 20 disciples have all the fun - we should have a "Fan Club" of our own! I've started this thread to hear everyone's stories and experiences since acquiring their first Martin saxophone. I just purchased my first Martin about a month ago from Mark...

Last Post By: bluebenz1 Yesterday, 10:29 PM Go to last post
    Douglas Pipher

Selmer Modèle 26 - an ongoing study

Thread Starter: Douglas Pipher

For this study, I am hoping to gather information on any Selmer sax stamped with "Modèle 26" I am looking for the following information: Full Serial Number: Type: (Alto, Tenor etc) Finish: (Silver, Gold, Lacquer, 2Tone etc) Distributor Stamp: (Elkhart, London, Toronto, Montreux, none,...

Last Post By: Douglas Pipher 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM Go to last post
    milandro

Some Grassi serial numbers

Thread Starter: milandro

As I promised long ago, I was going to get some information on the Grassi serial numbers. They are from a reliable source. Unfortunately the information is rather sketchy for both the beginning and the end of the company's production lifespan so I will quote here only the SN upon which there is...

Last Post By: joaomorais Today, 07:00 PM Go to last post
  • Motivational, Inspiration RSS Feed

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 1778 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality – hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I don’t think I played the instrument at home even once.
    by Published on 11-29-2015 04:30 PM     Number of Views: 10045 
    1. Categories:
    2. Education
    Article Preview

A few years ago, I published a program on SOTW for stage fright and anxiety that has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times.

After publication, over the years, I received many questions about the emotional and psychological aspects of performing, especially why we can't perform consistently well every time, all the time.

The answer is "distractions".

Imagine a circle. When you compete and/or perform at your very best, the circle is 100 percent complete. However, when distractions get in your way (which includes "thinking", nerves, anxiety, and self-doubt), each distraction removes a slice of the circle until you are performing at only a fraction of your potential.

By far, the most serious distraction is that voice in your head that shows up at the worst possible time to comment on how you're doing, to worry about you making mistakes, wonder what people are thinking about you, and so on.

It doesn't have to be that way.

"Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition and Performance" is a program that can be accessed for free.
    by Published on 03-02-2015 08:56 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General information

Let's start with the moral of the story: don't be a dumbass and think you'll hold up forever if you neglect your health. ...

• Amazon ad

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

jazzbluescat

Re: Dont like new forum look

It looks the same as it has for years. I like that....I'm agin' change. :)

jazzbluescat Today, 08:48 PM Go to last post
    Nefertiti

Re: Seamus Blake Workshop @ Smalls

i wish they taped it and put it on Small's live. I'd pay to see that even on video..........

Nefertiti Today, 08:26 PM Go to last post
    Rudz

Re: lots of SATB, BC, BASS mouthpieces - various, from DE or US

And I prefer email over messages here, as I have to clean up my inbox all the time ;o)

Rudz Today, 08:24 PM Go to last post
    Eulipion2

Re: Robert Baksa Soprano Sax Sonata

Zombie thread alert! It's been a little over three years. Has anyone found a recording of this piece? I just started working on it, but I have no clue if I'm doing it any justice.

Eulipion2 Today, 08:23 PM Go to last post
    Ballad state of mind

Re: Classical Fingers

No .... and wouldn't recommend it either. The money would be best spent on the complete Klose Method for Clarinet, then practice.

Ballad state of mind Today, 08:14 PM Go to last post