• Recent Articles

12-31-1969 11:00 PM Go to last post

• Recent Activity Widget

altoman

Venus Saxophones

Thread Starter: altoman

Does anyone have any experience with this saxophones. They are probably Taiwanese stencils and Selmer copies. I can't seem to find any information on them. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Venus-Quality-ALTO-SAX-Antique-Finish-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ7361311961QQcategoryZ624QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last Post By: JayePDX 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM Go to last post
    Harri Rautiainen

SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Thread Starter: Harri Rautiainen

Now, turning over a new leaf I'd like to welcome our new members to this community of saxophone players and woodwind aficionados. This thread is for you for introductions and expressing your innermost wishes and desires. SOTW administrators want to thank all members for your support during...

Last Post By: tiomaza Yesterday, 05:36 PM Go to last post
    mrhiatus

never buy a cheap asian horn!!

Thread Starter: mrhiatus

Well I did. And I've posted that it wasn't that bad of a deal. I take that back. I tried to play it today for the 1st time in a few weeks, and several of the keys wouldn't even come close to moving through their range, and I mean not even close. Then I started to wiggle some keys and things,....and...

Last Post By: saxcop Today, 01:30 PM Go to last post
    MrGreenLantern

Guidance on my search for the perfect tenor mouthpiece

Thread Starter: MrGreenLantern

Hello! I've been debating whether to ask some questions I have. If some of these things have already been answered in other threads I want to apologize in advance, and if you could direct me there I would greatly appreciate it. I'm mostly just looking for advice. A lot of you have answered...

Last Post By: Dr G Yesterday, 02:47 PM Go to last post
    luispa

Definitive case compatibility chart

Thread Starter: luispa

Hi SOTW fellows, I must to admit I didn't use this subforum in the past. I recently posted here asking about sax/case compatibility. I received a lot of replies but I also did a lot of search here. I realized a lot of post are about this but the information is mixed and not too easy to find (or...

Last Post By: Guto Yesterday, 07:10 PM Go to last post
  • Motivational, Inspiration RSS Feed

by Published on 02-26-2017 09:55 PM     Number of Views: 2270 
    1. Categories:
    2. Motivational, Inspiration
    Article Preview

Improvising on the saxophone has transformed my life forever. It has awakened me to a completely new level of spirituality Ė hard words for me to type, as a rationalist. Improvisation is a religious revelation. It is meditation, red mist and the soul. Playing music without a plan showed me the full dignity of the human consciousness and the hot power of the mind. It made me question everything that had gone before, and opened up unlimited possibilities for everything that lay ahead. It very nearly never happened. I want to share my story, and my elation, about how it did. Somebody showed me how.

When I was about 11, my parents made me start taking lessons once a week for 30 minutes, together with another kid. Our teacher, a clarinet player, would take us through the required pieces for the next grade exam. They were classical: The melodies felt stiff. I thought the saxophone was the stupidest thing on the planet, and I gave up around four years later. I donít think I played the instrument at home even once.
    by Published on 11-29-2015 04:30 PM     Number of Views: 10211 
    1. Categories:
    2. Education
    Article Preview

A few years ago, I published a program on SOTW for stage fright and anxiety that has been downloaded nearly 40,000 times.

After publication, over the years, I received many questions about the emotional and psychological aspects of performing, especially why we can't perform consistently well every time, all the time.

The answer is "distractions".

Imagine a circle. When you compete and/or perform at your very best, the circle is 100 percent complete. However, when distractions get in your way (which includes "thinking", nerves, anxiety, and self-doubt), each distraction removes a slice of the circle until you are performing at only a fraction of your potential.

By far, the most serious distraction is that voice in your head that shows up at the worst possible time to comment on how you're doing, to worry about you making mistakes, wonder what people are thinking about you, and so on.

It doesn't have to be that way.

"Pressure Proof- Mental Training For Competition and Performance" is a program that can be accessed for free.
    by Published on 03-02-2015 08:56 AM
    1. Categories:
    2. General information

Let's start with the moral of the story: don't be a dumbass and think you'll hold up forever if you neglect your health. ...

• Amazon ad

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Mrblackbat

Re: Do you wear shades when you go to the grocery store?

It's the gnarly fisherman sweaters that gets me. And the need to buy artisan cheese on toast.

Mrblackbat Today, 01:25 PM Go to last post
    Bob M

Re: New SKB Bari Sax Case

I'm looking for a case with wheels for my Buescher model 139 (pictured in my avatar) and the SKB is definitely under consideration. If I recall correctly vintage King Zephyr baritones have a...

Bob M Today, 01:19 PM Go to last post
    sandster

Re: Wood B & H "Edgeware" For Sale

Thanks, Bopity Funk.

sandster Today, 01:14 PM Go to last post
    Mike T

Re: What do we have here?

The LH bell keys and their keyguard say Conn 6M; the LH little finger table says Conn New Wonder Series I; the neck octave key says Conn, as do the upper LH side keys. Thus it looks to me like a...

Mike T Today, 01:11 PM Go to last post
    Reedsmith

Re: Do you wear shades when you go to the grocery store?

Damn, that's the funniest thing, so far, today. At times, I cannot walk ten paces without seeing a berk with a W.G. Grace beard, and tattooed up to the armpits (and probably in them, too). Usually...

Reedsmith Today, 12:45 PM Go to last post