Sax on the Web Portal - Re: Jazz and Accounting

• Categories Widget (top-down)

• Recent Activity Widget

Nefertiti

Tenor Mouthpiece Website

Thread Starter: Nefertiti

Hey Everyone, New website is www.neffmusic.com I just got a piece back from Ed Zentera and decided to put a recording on there. I'm always trying different pieces so I figured I'd see if this might help any of you out there who are like me. I have 8 tenor piece right now and am trying to...

Last Post By: Manitou Today, 10:21 PM Go to last post
    Harri Rautiainen

SOTW new member introductions ~ Jan 2017-

Thread Starter: Harri Rautiainen

Now, turning over a new leaf I'd like to welcome our new members to this community of saxophone players and woodwind aficionados. This thread is for you for introductions and expressing your innermost wishes and desires. SOTW administrators want to thank all members for your support during...

Last Post By: soptenit Yesterday, 12:16 AM Go to last post
    ChicagoJazz

Martin Fan Club

Thread Starter: ChicagoJazz

Hey Martin lovers! Let's not let the King Super 20 disciples have all the fun - we should have a "Fan Club" of our own! I've started this thread to hear everyone's stories and experiences since acquiring their first Martin saxophone. I just purchased my first Martin about a month ago from Mark...

Last Post By: bluebenz1 Yesterday, 10:29 PM Go to last post
    Douglas Pipher

Selmer Modèle 26 - an ongoing study

Thread Starter: Douglas Pipher

For this study, I am hoping to gather information on any Selmer sax stamped with "Modèle 26" I am looking for the following information: Full Serial Number: Type: (Alto, Tenor etc) Finish: (Silver, Gold, Lacquer, 2Tone etc) Distributor Stamp: (Elkhart, London, Toronto, Montreux, none,...

Last Post By: Douglas Pipher 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM Go to last post
    milandro

Some Grassi serial numbers

Thread Starter: milandro

As I promised long ago, I was going to get some information on the Grassi serial numbers. They are from a reliable source. Unfortunately the information is rather sketchy for both the beginning and the end of the company's production lifespan so I will quote here only the SN upon which there is...

Last Post By: joaomorais Today, 07:00 PM Go to last post
  • Jazz and Accounting

Alan Greenspan was a saxophone player and played in Jack Teagarden's orchestra ......too bad that next to him a good friend of his, Stan Getz who, despite Alan's virtues and efforts, outplayed Greenspan, so eventually he decided to take to business rather than music.

The world lost a saxophone player and gained a guy who..........did what he did (we can't talk politics here !)

Anway, the bank crisis was Stan Gets's fault! Had he not being in the same orchestra maybe Greenspan would have played the saxophone rather than the financial markets.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jazz and Accounting started by derickmont View original post
    Comments 3 Comments
      David Clabaugh -
      My Grandfather also took up accounting after missing his big chance, he played for the Carlos Molinas Orchestra, at the Latin Quarter which had four spots, New york, Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. They would tour between all four, and while they were in LA, they were asked to be the backing band for Carmen Miranda's films. Unfortunately a war had just started and my grandfather was drafted, losing his spot. Upon returning to Milwaukee, he found he was ineligible for service and promptly became an accountant, cutting a few 78's in Chicago and teaching privately on the side. Moral of the story, Politica and Sax don't mix for the most part.
      DylanT -
      Kenny G majored in Accounting. Also, a friend of mine, and great guitar player, currently majors in Accounting.
      The Daddymac -
      Slightly off track, but Josh Redman was accepted to Yale law before deciding to focus on music. His bio on Wikipedia makes for interesting reading.

Facebook comments

• Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

Matty Bannond

Improvisation: A union of mind, body and music

Hello again,

I've just published a new article. This one's about how woodwind and brass... Go to last post

Matty Bannond Today 09:11 PM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

The MKD

Re: FS- Charles Bay Artist Model bass clarinet mouthpiece M-O-M facing

I meant to thank Benny for a great transaction! This piece plays just as he claimed, it has a bit more projection and is maybe a touch brighter than my regular Bay M-O-M piece. Perfect for getting...

The MKD Today, 10:37 PM Go to last post
    Manitou

Re: Tenor Mouthpiece Website

steve, thanks for the review. i tend to agree with joel's preference for the 3l.

Manitou Today, 10:21 PM Go to last post
    beginner

Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2017

Thanks for the feedback, it's helpful. I would definitely like to tackle one of the B&I TOTM tunes time permitting, but lately it hasn't permitted much.

beginner Today, 10:18 PM Go to last post
    Dr G

Re: Tenor Mouthpiece Website

Funny that you comment on the qualities of Rigotti 3L vs 3M. I was starting to wear out my 3L reeds, and switched to 3M just over the weekend, in the hope that I wouldn't blow them out as fast.

Dr G Today, 10:16 PM Go to last post
    1saxman

Re: Question about reeds?

The clamp point on the reed is one of the well-known 'sweet spots' on a sax where small influences can, cumulatively, make big changes. This is why there are so many ligature designs and why so many...

1saxman Today, 10:13 PM Go to last post