Sax on the Web Portal - Re: Jazz is Dying Out

• Re: Jazz is Dying Out

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Yes I saw that, but I didn't get it, ie I didn't follow the logic of a purist being a conservative.
    Look it up in a dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conservative

3 a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Jazz is Dying Out started by OaklandBhoy View original post
    Comments 9 Comments
      gary -
      I don't get it. Where's the article?
      magical pig -
      Well, everyone's afraid of everything nowadays, it makes sense.
      paulwl -
      I just wish everybody would stop thinking of music as a product OOH and an art OTOH. There ain't much common ground to stand on in between those two ideas, and it's always shifting.

We need to see live music as part of the community. That will create opportunity, so there won't be so much fighting for gigs. One problem is no one wants to give away "product" to build up demand.
      gary -
      Quote Originally Posted by paulwl View Post
      I just wish everybody would stop thinking of music as a product OOH and an art OTOH. There ain't much common ground to stand on in between those two ideas, and it's always shifting.

We need to see live music as part of the community. That will create opportunity, so there won't be so much fighting for gigs. One problem is no one wants to give away "product" to build up demand.
      Paul, what are you referring to? Where's the article that's the topic of this thread?
      paulwl -
      http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...z-is-Dying-Out

Thread started last April and closed after 19 pp of directionless, feverish moiling around.

What I'm referring to, I guess (sorry it's been so long), is that jazz is caught in a corner. It is art music that is also entertaining, but it's caught in a bind here in the US. We're a big, mass-culture-oriented country, so everything has to be promoted. But the only promotion models that work do so as either art or entertainment, with no ambiguity allowed.

It used to be a little less difficult - only a little, if you're a musician/promoter - back before the media were so consolidated and corporatized. Jazz has been a niche since at least the 70s, but back then, jazz, and a lot of other niche styles that weren't big money, still had some cool cachet and some association with sophisticated people. Nowadays, sophistication is defined more by consumption than taste, and jazz isn't upmarket enough to cut it.

What jazz needs, I think, is to get free of the matrix and find a way to exist and thrive that doesn't rely on the existing structure of the music industry. I can tell you right now that young musicians are not being taught to think of this - or indeed anything but how to fit into the fewer and fewer pro spots available in the industry, status quo.
      BOPITY FUNK -
      Paul you may be right BUT! how do you --or I--or any interested party persuade average Joe who listens to the top 40 or his/hers 70's/80's/90's CDs to actually LIKE Jazz. Jazz like Rock and 60's pop was youth orientated it was risque, rebellious, it caused raised eyebrows among the older generations.
      Jazz is now perceived as respectable, slightly eccentric usually patronised by the 'professional' classes who read the broadsheets as opposed to the tabloids--sorry but this is the general view.
      Bebopalot -
      I remember reading an article in the L.A. Times that I saved for a long time. It was titled, "The End of Jazz". It was all about "the demise of jazz due to the drastically different world which we live in". Full of interviews with people from Leonard Feather to Art Pepper. That was back in the late 70's......... Society worried that jazz was ending back then too. The only ones that knew it would survive were the musicians. I have a lot of faith in the longevity of jazz.
      saxphil -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bebopalot View Post
      I have a lot of faith in the longevity of jazz.
      ... jazz and $1 beers.
      midlandcomputersweep -
      OK, and I recall the same was being said in the 70's about classical music. BUT has it died ? NO! Jazz was certainly, in the early part of the 20th century, then in the 50's with "modern Jazz' and then the 70's and 80' with "fusion jazz" a major musical art form, and, like classical nusic, while it will not always appeal to the "masses" there will always be a market with an audience that appreciates the musical form and the skill of the musicians practising that art form, just as has been the case with classical music, and even "blues" music. It won't probably ever reach the height of "visibility" in the market that it did during the 20's, 50's and 70's but it will always be there.

Facebook comments

• Amazon ad

• Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

John Laughter

Re: Brian Setzer Orchestra

Appears to be one of several sax players in Brian's band depending on the CD, the year or the live performance. Can't find any background info on Tim.

John Laughter Today, 07:08 PM Go to last post
    Fader

Re: Hands - I think I'm going MENTAL.

Well....You're still a bad-***. Probably more-so than ever with all those new parts! I want to be like you when I'm 88...

Fader Today, 07:05 PM Go to last post
    Lambros

Re: Playing With Mouthpiece Upside Down

That’s the world of flutes and here in New York City there’s is plenty of drama I’ve seen at repair shops. It’s the rigidity and regimentation of having certain thing not necessarily being a genuine...

Lambros Today, 07:00 PM Go to last post
    Fader

Re: Keeping the sax warm

Saxes are pretty resilient - My gig horns live in the garage, car, bus, or a truck. The only make it inside after a gig to dry overnight with case open, and then they they go back into storage.

Fader Today, 06:55 PM Go to last post
    MNSaxMan

Re: sax alto Romeo Orsi Perfectum with very strange key mechanism, rolled tone holes and microtuner

That is one very COOL Sax! Very interesting to say the least!

MNSaxMan Today, 06:55 PM Go to last post