Sax on the Web Portal - SOTW history 20 years

• Looking back Sax on the Web path

I remember that date well. It was around that time PDF’s first appeared. I was working on a big project at the time, and to have the ability to send files back and forth without having to use courier or snail mail, seemed truly revolutionary.

Then, came websites.

Did any of us, back then, have any idea of the vast potential of the Internet, of the incredible array of resources, including video and music, we now take for granted.

I say all of this because the growth of SOTW has been truly amazing and wonderful to witness.

I always have viewed it as one of the most, if not the most, successful online communities.

It doesn’t seem that long ago

- an article appeared about a largely unknown French sax “SML”

-Pete Hales’ incredible research about sax manufacturers, serial numbers, et al.,

-John Laughter’s invaluable early research about who did what and when

-pro players and technicians who, right from the beginning, donated their skills, knowledge, and experience to help SOTW members

-the amazing reach of the Forum, where one could discuss and learn about every possible aspect of playing…

to name just a very few of SOTW’s incredible resources. You never knew who would suddenly appear to talk about things like the production of King Curtis’ sound in studio, Stan Getz’s daughter and her memories of her father, what it was like in the studio when a specific album was recorded, what it was like on tour with groups like Blood, Sweat and Tears, and so many, many more.

All of this was made possible and came to life because of you Harri and your great vision.

Decisions like this are always tough, but at the same time, in our hearts we know that someday it will happen. Therefore, when we can do it our own terms, and do it with the immense satisfaction I’m sure that you must feel, we know that we have made the right decision at the right time.

Harri, thanks for everything!!!! SOTW has had an immense impact on my life and for that I shall be ever grateful.

Looking forward to more of the same!

This article was originally published in forum thread: Changes in SOTW ownership started by Harri Rautiainen View original post

Facebook comments

• Amazon ad

• Recent Article Comments Widget

Matty Bannond

Improvisation: A union of mind, body and music

I write short stories as a hobby, and one has just been published in an online journal. The... Go to last post

Matty Bannond 03-17-2018 08:24 AM
  • Google ad

• SheetMusicPlus

• Recent Forum Posts

Re: White Lacquer Pro Tenors...

There have been many interesting suggestions in this thread. As is often the case, it's tough to maximize every key variable (quality, affordability, convenience) at the same time. But there's one...

LostConn Today, 03:54 AM Go to last post

Re: 5 of my 10MFAN hr tenor mpc’s available this week

1, 3, 5

10mfan Today, 03:50 AM Go to last post

Re: FS: Bundy Special Tenor

Hey guys, this is actually my old horn! The intonation is spot on. Whereas you might tune a Selmer slightly sharp and lip it down, these German horns can be tuned right in the center of pitch and...

MusicHasMeaning Today, 03:34 AM Go to last post

Re: White Lacquer Pro Tenors...

No flaming at all, because the temporary notion isn't a bad one; but the likelihood that a DIY would actually be successful either functionally or aesthetically is quite low. Think of the masking...

JayePDX Today, 03:30 AM Go to last post

Kessler sopranino wanted in 2018

Kessler is currently sold out of sopraninos. They may have more sops in the future, but if not then I'd be interested in finding a used sop for Kessler to refurbish.

Ninovator Today, 03:28 AM Go to last post