recorder manufacturer [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : recorder manufacturer

gr8jake
12-31-2007, 10:17 PM
I am not sure if I am in the right thread or not? Has anyone heard of a W German manufacturer of recorders by the name of Weiss? I have the oportunity to purchase a wooden alto recorder at a good price.

gary
12-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Do you have any links or other info?

I don't know of this. You know "weiss" means "white"? Not to insult you, but you're not looking at a "white" recorder for sale are you?

The only real connection with "Weiss" I know of is a book of recorder music by the compiler of the same name.

BTW, what do you consider "a good price" for a recorder?

gr8jake
01-01-2008, 01:45 AM
The one I am looking at is only $80

csax
01-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Hmmm - even a search for "Weiss Blockflöte" only picked up the white ones, and a few recorder players called Weiss..:)

I've played recorder on and off since school, and Weiss isn't amongst the handfull of German manufacturers I know of. gr8jake - is it mentioned on the internet anywhere, or just local ?

gary
01-01-2008, 01:37 PM
...and to piggy back, here's something I found very interesting.

Recently one of the major wind-music/instrument magazines tested recorders and concluded that there were practically no significant differences in playability between expensive, wooden recorders and good student model ones. Furthermore, for ease of cleaning and maintenence, a simple plastic one will do the trick.

In the reviewer's opinion, there are differences but they are so subtile, you would have to be an excellent player (and the implication being most of us are not) before you would even feel them. Now, I've got a Moeck Rottenburgh recorder and I can tell the difference between it and my Yamaha. But my Moeck costs $750.00, too.

My advice is that if you want a wooden recorder and our advice that you provide us with more detailed information and an internet link, if possible.

Gandalfe
01-01-2008, 03:58 PM
I recommend Aulos from music123.com for my students. Great price and easy to get. The intonation seems fine to me too as a new player. I'm sure you can get better recorders or cheaper ones, but I think the point is to get something that is playable.

jthole
01-01-2008, 07:21 PM
In the reviewer's opinion, there are differences but they are so subtile, you would have to be an excellent player (and the implication being most of us are not) before you would even feel them. Now, I've got a Moeck Rottenburgh recorder and I can tell the difference between it and my Yamaha. But my Moeck costs $750.00, too.

Moeck also produces an inexpensive student recorder, which is very popular with young music students here in the Netherlands.

gary
01-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Moeck also produces an inexpensive student recorder, which is very popular with young music students here in the Netherlands.
Yep. I like those as well as the Mollenhauers. But to be honest, I like those for the name and the looks but a simple Yamaha plastic flute works just as well.

bubblegirlsax
03-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm not sure if information is still wanted by Jake, but I may be able to help.

I haven't heard of Weiss, but have heard of all the popular brands. Really, if you're looking at a budget, go a plastic model. They will still sound great, be easy to care for, and are very cost effective. For your $80 you can get 3 different models.

I've always played Angel Recorders. They are very comparable to the more expensive plastic models. Altos range at $40, Sopranino at $20 and Descant at $10. Yamaha's 300 series is slightly better if you're looking at Alto or Descant, but I think the Angel Sopranino is actually nicer than the Yamaha. The Angel Alto is a great instrument and has been my favourite for a long time, however the Yamaha 300 series alto is actually better.

If you don't believe in plastic Recorders, please see my recordings at http://www.bubblegirl.net/temp/. All of these are Angel plastic Recorders, and despite it being thought of as an "amateur" brand compared to Yamaha or Aulos, they do sound very good. And they are in tune, as cannot be guaranteed in some more unknown brands.

If you want the expensive desserts of plastic Recorders, there are Dolmetsch. They are wooden Recorder makers who also have a plastic range called Nova. They are a bit more expensive, but I have heard many good reports about them.

Hope that helps!
S.

Heise
03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I play Hohner [wooden] recorders. Paid $25 new for my soprano, $30 on eBay for my tenor. These are perfectly good for my modest level of proficiency and use.

-DH

hakukani
03-01-2008, 05:06 PM
I've had an aulos alto plastic recorder since my undergrad days. It works well for camping and backpacking, because I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

I played in a recorder consort back in my undergrad days. They other early music folks we played for turned up their collective noses at my plastic recorder--until they heard me play.:twisted:;)

meilaushi
12-29-2015, 01:46 PM
I have a set of Weiss Recorders: Soprano, Alto, and Tenor. They are excellent instruments, well made, and if not ruined by consistent overblowing, produce a beautiful tone. I have been looking for a Weiss Bass on the internet, but I think the company is by now out of existence. My recorders are over 50 years old, but play as well now as when they were new, but of course, they have been well cared for.