RIP Earl Turbington Jr [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : RIP Earl Turbington Jr

Tim Price
08-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Aug. 4 Earl Turbinton, a saxophone player who was one of the leaders in modern jazz in New Orleans, has died.

Turbinton, 65, had suffered from lung cancer for some time, The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune reported. He died in Baton Rouge.

Inspired by Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane, Turbinton was one of the founders in 1969 of The Workshop, a club on Decatur Street. He hoped the club would become a local center for the avant-garde in jazz.

Here was a great saxophone player- and I had the pleasure of hearing him live a few times. And have been inspired by him.

Earl was the " other " sax player on ZAWINUL the Atlantic recording of pianist / composer Joe Zawinul before Zawinul got WeatherReport off the ground. MATTER OF FACT.....Earl was the 2ed sax player in Weather Report.
In the beginning there was Wayne Shorter and Earl. Earl never took the gig further than the beginning stages due to a R n' B gig that was a salery thing he was afraid to leave. From what I heard ( via-John Stubblefield and others ) there is tapes of this band with Wayne and Earl.

Earl was very into Alvin Batiste's teachings and knew the " BAT METHOD"
very well. Another from this thinking is Wes Anderson. A cool NOLA guy.

Earl had a beautiful recording out on ROUNDER called;
Earl Turbinton/Willie Tee
Brothers For Life

THIS RECORDING TELL THE TRUTH.
Earl shoulda been playing more " world" gigs and in the public eye/ear more.
Soprano saxophone is no joker to just pick up- and Earl had it going on in aces on the soprano.

To me, Earl's forte was his ability to combine technical facility with emotional force, and his robust tone remains distinct. His style seemed to balance elements of bebop and R&B adeptly. Not in a " Brecker-ish" thing either but something unto itself. Very personal and moving.

His knickname was THE AFRICAN COWBOY....Earl had a great vibe for wearing some unque clothes for sure. Cowboy boots with his long robes or his skull caps with some Earl-type garb. He was one of a kind.Cats like John Stubblefield spoke highly of him.

Sad he couldn't be acknowledged and gain credibility in the USA. He will be missed.

Listen for him on the above recordings. He was one bad hombre.

RIP EARL.

sideC
08-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Yes, I remember hearing Earl on recordings in the '70s and was very impressed with his playing. Never had the opportunity to hear him live. I remember his very personal and unique style. Another voice stilled.

Tim,thanks for the info.

Tim Price
08-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Ask guys like Wes Anderson or Plaz about Earl. GREAT GREAT PLAYER,

Earl was also a really great RnB- rock player to. Anyone into WILD MAGNOLIAS from NOLA? Earl played a lot with them.

There is a BlueNote date with him as well- maybe an organ player like Johnny Hammond Smith? One of those guys.....

Earl really had the personality on the sax. Listen to him on ZAWINUL.

Tim Price
08-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I was just listening to Earl solo on the disc by the WILD MAGNOLIAS...He had that THANG in the soprano sax sound. The " moan in the tone" as Cannonball called it.

I always dream of what woulda happened if he would of took the other reed position in the early WEATHER REPORT. What a interesting thing it might of been.

Reedsplinter
08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Earl was very into Alvin Batiste's teachings and knew the " BAT METHOD"
very well.
Sad he couldn't be acknowledged and gain credibility in the USA. He will be missed.

Listen for him on the above recordings. He was one bad hombre.

RIP EARL.

RIP Earl T. indeed. I grew up in the deep South and all the players down there knew Earl's work. Sorry to see him go.

Tim, if it's not inappropriate to ask such a question in a memorial thread, what do you mean by the "bat method"? This is not a term I've run across before.

Tim Price
08-19-2007, 12:17 AM
RIP Earl T. indeed. I grew up in the deep South and all the players down there knew Earl's work. Sorry to see him go.

Tim, if it's not inappropriate to ask such a question in a memorial thread, what do you mean by the "bat method"? This is not a term I've run across before.

MEANING= THE TEACHING OF ALVIN BATISTE. HIS CONCEPTS.