Sax on the Web Forum banner

Matte Finish 82Z

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  supersax54 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Yamaha makes their 82Z's with the matte finish? I'm planning on getting one but have my heart set on that finish. Looks aren't everything, though.

#3 ·
Morry's right. The unlacquered sax would most closely resemble the matte finish. I would like to say however, the new lacqered saxes are not the same shade as the older 875 customs and 62's. I have the soprano custum now and compared their lacqeres noticing the Z's to be a few shades darker. Not much darker though. Some describe it "honey lacqered". (More amber shading in it.) What ever it is, it's beautiful. I'm almost certain the new EX's are also the same as the Z's

#5 ·
BP, If you are really set on the matte finish, get the unlaq, take it to a really competent tech, have him use extremely fine steel wool on the finish on the metal and then clear laq it.
Badabing...You got yourself a satin finish.
I have seen this done on several horns and it looks great!

#6 ·
I own an unlacquered "Z" and it looks nothing like a matte finish. When the horns are made in the factory, they completely buff them, as if they were to be lacquered. Then they just skip the spray booth and put them in the case and ship them out. Over time the finish will oxidize and patina and go through many gorgeous phases of "finish" eventually ending up in a "matte" finish (not unlike that of the bell of my MkVI bari). My advice is to not buy a horn based on the finish, but based on the sound (especially if you are only interested in buying a "Z") I tried black, clear, and unlacquered horns, and the one that sounded the best was the unlacquered one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.