Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone offer advise on Trevor J James 'The horn' saxophone

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  stitch 
#1 ·
Hi, I have been renting an Elkhart saxophone for 9 mths and which to now purchase my own sax which will last me hopefully for years. I have tried Trevor J James 'The horn' and find the sound fantastic. Athough I am worried as it is a brand that is not discussed in this forum. Is there a reason, is it a good sax?

ta

#2 ·
They are very popular, and often recommended by teachers. I have no experience of them (I prefer vintage, and anyway I'm not good enough a player to tell decent horns apart - only really bad ones! :lol: ), but I do know they are reputed to be good value for money.

Don Mackrill http://www.donmack.com/index.htm sells a new alto for £635, but for £660 you could get a new Yamaha YAS 23, or a used one for under £500. The YAS 23 has a reputation as a solid reliable horn, which the TJ model doesn't (perhaps undeservedly?) yet have. If it were me I'd go for the Yamaha, but the bottom line is to play as many different models as you can get your hands on and pick the one that suits you best - irrespective of what anyone else says!

I know there are other UK players with experience of TJ The Horns, so perhaps they'll be able to give you better advice than I.

#3 ·
Well, looks like I was wrong 'zoo, maybe there aren't any UK players with TJ experience out there!

However, this comes from a previous thread (http://saxontheweb.myforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2849&highlight=):

singlereed said:
'The Horn' is a Taiwanese student sax from Trevor James, and in the UK they do at least give them a once-over in their workshop before shipping them, one reason the retailers like them. Not much to choose between those and the other two I mentioned, the only student sax that really stands above the others is Yamaha and you pay accordingly more.
So it looks like at least one other person would recommend the Yamaha over the TJ...

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.

#4 ·
..... Also, do a search of this site - use the 'search' button at the top of the page: type in 'Trevor James' choose 'all terms'; a few matches will be found, though none of them add much to what I've already posted - good background info though, and may give you a few other things to think about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.