newb here! [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : newb here!

Tlaloc
01-02-2006, 11:15 PM
hey everyone! This is my first post in SOTW! It's been a while since I've joined an online forum. But anyways, here's where I am musically:

I have been playing electric bass fo 6 years now, and i'm into many different genres of music (I have been starting to gravitate towards many kinds of jazz in the past 3 or 4 years). 2 summers ago, I decided to see what it is like to play saxophone. So I went to a music store and rented this little alto sax and i loved it! After that, I immediately rented a tenor sax and i felt way more comfortable with the lower, richer sound. I have since bought a Monique tenor sax (a green one!) and I'm starting to like playing sax more than playing bass. So now, I think I would like to get a baritone sax. I feel that would suit me better because it's a lower register instrument like the bass and it could either do lead or backing sort of music.

I consider myself mostly a hobbyist. I've been going to music lessons for bass for quite a while until a few months ago. I tried doing professional gigs and all on bass, but I got no satisfaction out of it to be honest. I have never taken a sax lesson, but I think I might get more serious on baritone if I discover that I like it enough.

Well, for those who read all of that, thanks. I'll probably have quite alot of beginner questions for a while. This is pretty exciting; I'm no stranger to playing music and reading music (in bass clef at least), but I feel like such an amateur. It's refreshing actually. :D

Gandalfe
01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Well, since no one else has jumped in, welcome to the SOTW forum. It sounds like you have a lot of interesting work and study ahead. Consider filling out your profile a little more using the User CP menu item at the top of the page. Cheers.

bubblegirlsax
01-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Congrats. Sounds like you are going to rock!

S.

SAXISMYAXE
01-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Tlaloc,
Welcome to the forums. I'm moving your post to a more appropriate forum folder where you are likely to get more responses to your specific concerns. Cheers.

kcp
01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi. First off welcome to SOTW forum :)

After that, I immediately rented a tenor sax and i felt way more comfortable with the lower, richer sound. I have since bought a Monique tenor sax (a green one!) and I'm starting to like playing sax more than playing bass.

Your bass playing will sure help in baritone playing. I started playing bass 3 years ago before switching to baritone (was primarily a tenor player). I find bass playing helped me a lot. I still play bass almost on a daylly bassis, to learn/improve walkings and such and then when I got it down real good, I translate that to the baritone.

Cheerz!