YAS62 v Hanson SA8 [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : YAS62 v Hanson SA8

Face Ache Mike
12-09-2005, 09:54 PM
I`m going to, eventually, buy either:

The venerable Yamaha YAS 62 from Sax.co.uk for 995 inc delivery, pre-d inspection & setup. 2 years warranty. Standard gold lacquer finish.

Or the pretender to the throne, the Hanson SA8 in 24k gold plate. 919 inc delivery, 5 years warranty and 5 years free servicing and repairs. See http://www.saxophonesdirect.com/

Both come with a case, mpc etc, everything to get you going.

This is how I`m thinking:

The YAS 62 is a very well known sax and is well respected. I expect its resale value to stay quite high over the years but I don`t envisage ever selling it. I`ve played a new `62 and fell in love with it. The fact it is a Yamaha does appeal to me - Ok, I`m a brand name snob ;)

The SA8 is the new kid on the block and the company seem to be doing handstands to gain a customer base. They`re also local enough for me to call in if I ever need anything. A big carrot being dangled is the 7 day free trial and their offer of giving you back its full price in p/x f you ever want to upgrade but at the moment this is their flagship alto.

I`m wondering if I should stick to my first idea, the `62 especially as the price has just been reduced - or - if I should take up the 7 day free trial from Hanson. I could return it if I didnt like it, no quibble they say, then buy the `62. Something else they offer is to buy it back for full price minus 15 per month I`ve had it (and a deduction for any damage/wear etc). It all seems too good an offer to ignore.
I can`t see the `62 dealer doing any of this, so buying there would have to be a pretty final decision.

Another option would be to visit the SA8 dealer (Hanson) and spend some time playing their sax and getting to know the setup there. Chances are, doing that, I`d feel obliged and end up coming away with their sax - unless I was strongly against it which I think is unlikely. Theres virtually no chance I could visit the `62 dealer, its just too far away, which also make me uncomfortable about warranty problems etc.

My heart and some of my head says buy the `62 but my head also puts up a good argument for the SA8.

Have you ever had a choice like this? What would you do?

fballatore
12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Mike -

Gee, I don't know if I'm biased or anything, but I'd get the 62!.

The price difference doesn't seem like it's that much, and I'd prefer to buy a horn with a much more established track record. From what I've seen so far, the 62 is a killer. And besides, if you got a new 62, I'd be the jealous one. :D

But hey - if it's a no obligation trial on the Hanson, what the heck you might as well try it out before you buy the Yamaha.

Frank

Ari
12-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Like they say - buy what you like and what plays best for you but the 62 will have a better resale value in the future

SaxyAcoustician
12-10-2005, 03:42 AM
No brainer. Get the 62 now or you'll end up getting it later, after you've sold your Hanson for a loss.

rogerb40uk
12-11-2005, 09:24 AM
How many of you who are dismissing the SA8 have actually played one?
As suggested, you have nothing to lose by trying it first, and you might just be surprised!!

I agree with what you say about re-sale value, but that, surely shouldn't be your prime concern in choosing a sax to play?
(And in a few years Hanson may be 'the' sax to buy... who knows? ;) They certainly have the ambition! )

The after-sales offer of 5 years' free service shouldn't be dismissed lightly, either.

To declare my interest, I have visited Hanson's and have an SA-5 on order as I write!

Gandalfe
12-11-2005, 04:07 PM
A quick read of the ad on the site pointed to below leaves me wondering what kind of metal is used in this instrument. The big four always give an indication of what percentage of and what kind a brass or materials are use. Maybe I just missed it.

I'll look at a new instrument, even if in the past it had a bad name if musicians and repairmen that I respect are talking up the newest incarnation. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have bought a Yamaha, Yanagisawa, or Antigua Winds (if they existed then). Now I own/have owned all of these kinds and I am very happy with them.

If you like the sound of the instrument after trying one and your repairman gives you the thumbs up as far as repairability then I say you've done your research. But buying one because of the seller good copy on the internet, well that has never worked for me.

rogerb40uk
12-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree with your last 2 paragraphs, Gandalfe, but I've just had a look at the Selmer and Yamaha websites and couldn't see any more detailed spec of the brass used(for saxes) than such terms such as "Yellow brass", "French brass", or "Special brass alloy with a higher proportion of copper".

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but does this tell you anything other than they are made of "brass", which my dictionary defines as "A yellowish alloy of copper and zinc, sometimes including small amounts of other metals, but usually 67 percent copper and 33 percent zinc"?

Do French Brass and Yellow Brass have a defined composition?

Face Ache Mike
12-11-2005, 06:25 PM
The Hanson website reads so much like a dream come true that its easy to read it with an ever increasing, critical eye. What would you read into this?

"Lastly, if we had a £ for every time we've heard "we just opened the case and it was like that" we would probably be retiring to the Bahamas by now. The fact is that musical instruments do get knocked and bent even by the most careful people."

I`m leaning very strongly toward the 62 now.

Gandalfe
12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Actually, I'd just be happy if they mentioned brass was in the instrument. :D
I agree with your last 2 paragraphs, Gandalfe, but I've just had a look at the Selmer and Yamaha websites and couldn't see any more detailed spec of the brass used(for saxes) than such terms such as "Yellow brass", "French brass", or "Special brass alloy with a higher proportion of copper".

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but does this tell you anything other than they are made of "brass", which my dictionary defines as "A yellowish alloy of copper and zinc, sometimes including small amounts of other metals, but usually 67 percent copper and 33 percent zinc"?

Do French Brass and Yellow Brass have a defined composition?

rogerb40uk
12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
The Hanson website reads so much like a dream come true that its easy to read it with an ever increasing, critical eye. What would you read into this?

"Lastly, if we had a £ for every time we've heard "we just opened the case and it was like that" we would probably be retiring to the Bahamas by now. The fact is that musical instruments do get knocked and bent even by the most careful people."

I'd read that as avoiding the issue about whether it 1.wasn't properly checked, 2. was damaged in transit, or 3. was damaged by the new owner who is now trying to pass the blame.
They say "Just send it back and we'll fix it anyway"

Of course, you could read it as giving Hanson a free hand to be less than meticulous with their checks.

I have met Alastair Hanson and his team and I know who I'd rather trust, him or a complaining customer :)

If you don't trust him, I agree you should go for the 62, an excellent product, and just hope it arrives 'perfect' ;)

Of course, if my SA-5 arrives bent .......:(

rogerb40uk
12-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Actually, I'd just be happy if they mentioned brass was in the instrument. :D

I'd guess it was a simple omission; they do seem to describe the components pretty fully.
What do you fear it might be?

That doesn't alter my point, that the 'big' makers don't appear to give very detailed info on their alloys anyway, they say "Yellow Brass", or "French Brass".

Anyway, the ones I handled certainly looked like brass, although I am not a metallurgist :)

I'd have thought a 7-day trial period and a 5-year repair warranty was reasonable 'insurance', especially for European owners.

Face Ache Mike
12-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Well, I have ordered my new sax and it will arrive tomorrow :D

Can`t wait!!!! :toothy7:

rogerb40uk
12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, I have ordered my new sax and it will arrive tomorrow :D

Can`t wait!!!! :toothy7:

Good luck with it, Mike; mine will arrive 'soon' :D

rogerb40uk
12-12-2005, 11:43 PM
FWIW, I hear that Pete Thomas will soon be seen on a UKTV Channel 4 ad, playing a silver-plated Hanson SA8 :D

Have I heard correctly, Pete?

Russ
12-13-2005, 12:31 AM
FWIW, I hear that Pete Thomas will soon be seen on a UKTV Channel 4 ad, playing a silver-plated Hanson SA8 :D

Have I heard correctly, Pete?

Pete Thomas. Now there is one hell of a player !

Where did you read this ? It would be interesting what he feels about the Hanson.

rogerb40uk
12-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Where did you read this ? It would be interesting what he feels about the Hanson.

He tells me that it's actually ITV (Ch3), starting 17th Dec, and that it's "a beautiful instrument" :D

My SA-5 is scheduled to arrive TODAY, subject to the vagaries of UPS!

Face Ache Mike
12-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied - I`m now the ecstatic owner of a brand new YAS 62. Pics on the Beginners recordings section (along with some recordings when I get home from work tomorrow).

fballatore
12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Hmmmmm - Dec 9
I`m going to, eventually, buy either...

to Today
I`m now the ecstatic owner of a brand new YAS 62

Not bad for eventually...

Good luck Mike - you're going to love it!!

Frank

Face Ache Mike
12-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Heheh yeah I did notice that :) All I can say is it seemed like it was never going to happen. Every man and his dog was conspiring against me! Thanks to the South African fraudster that cloned my credit card and took £1200 when I was about to buy my `62. I say thanks because two weeks later when I got a new card, the price had dropped by £70 :)

Bartleby
12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
I've NEVER heard of anyone being disappointed with a 62.

fabienlevrai
12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
The HANSON looks like the MAURIAT saxes isn't it?

The HANSON looks like the MAURIAT saxes isn't it?

f

rogerb40uk
01-12-2006, 07:22 AM
I've NEVER heard of anyone being disappointed with a 62.

I've NEVER heard of anyone being disappointed with a Hanson SA-8 ;) :D :D

I've just got an SA-5 and just love it.

JfW
01-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Is this the same Hanson (http://www.hansonclarinets.com/) that makes clarinets that are considered Elite?

Russ
01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Is this the same Hanson (http://www.hansonclarinets.com/) that makes clarinets that are considered Elite?

Yes.

timw1977
01-14-2006, 06:13 PM
i love my 62

Face Ache Mike
01-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I want to marry my 62. Well, it makes more sense than marrying a dolphin!

rogerb40uk
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
The Hanson looks like a MKVI clone in most respects, and it sounds great.
(I am already married - 31 years, but not to my sax :) )

AlistairD
01-20-2006, 10:51 AM
All,

This is an interesting discussion from my point of view. At some point over the next 12 months or so, I am likely to want to upgrade my current tenor. I am waiting for two things, money and the talent to be able to distinguish between the various models available.....

I find the discussion analogus to buying a car. Do you believe the marketing hype, do you worry about re-sale value, is it a work horse or is it for enjoyment. I can remember a few years ago, having the option of a new company car from a very wide list. Now all the advertising and peer pressure said go for the BMW.... Well I drove the BMW and others and settled on the one I found most relaxing to drive (as I was doing a lot of company miles at the time) and it wasn't the BMW. I had always wanted a BMW but when I drove it, I did not really enjoy it.

Back to the real point, in order to make the correct decision, I think you should consider why you are buying the Saxophone. I'm sure a working Pro will have different criteria to a beginner.... or like me, a beginner who is thinking of upgrading in the future.

Now, my main criteria is enjoyment. I play because I love playing the sax and learning. Being seen with the latest gear is not a top priority, but having something which is "easy" to play correctly is high on my agenda because I think it will heighten my enjoyment of playing. If I am having to fight the instrument as well as my limitations then I will get less enjoyment out of it.

So, how did I make my first choice of Sax. Well as I had never touched one prior to purchase, I had no idea what to expect, look for or even whether I would enjoy it. So the main choice was between renting and buying very cheaply. I did some quick research and settled on a Bently, because their reputation seemed to be ok and they were re-selling on eBay for not much less than they were going for new. So I bid for a number of Altos and Tenors until I won one in my price bracket (205)... The reason it was cheaper was that it was Pink... Now 200 would just about have rented me a sax for 6 months and if I had rented then I would now be looking to buy... good thing I didn't as I haven't got the money to get a "proper" sax at the moment.

Now I've no regrets and if you have seen some of my other posts, you will know I am happy with the Tenor. In fact it is great value for money, IMHO.

I am not ready to even think too much about my next Sax yet as I am not near the standard where I think I could differentiate between them. Until I am good enough, I will stick with what I have got. Though, I am looking and researching and reading to see what I would like to try out when I am ready. But when I am ready, then the choice will be which one I enjoy playing the most and I will keep enjoying for many years to come....

Suggestions on a post card please.....

Pete Thomas
02-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the compliment.

I recently visited the hanson factory. I had borrowed an alto and baritone (both 8 models) but wanted to try a few of the less expensive horns (the 3s and 5s) as I am often asked to recommend student or beginner saxophones, and felt my experience on the pro horns would not really be relevant.

I tried a few altos and I have to say I could have easily used the SA3 or SA5 on a gig. The SA5 in particular compared very well with the pro SA8 I had borrowed, and any of these would easily blow away a Jupiter or Trevor James Signature and even compared very favourably to an early YAS-62 I used to have.

Unfortunately I didn't get to try any sopranos or ST5s as I got waylaid by a bunch of ST8s, all of which were very nice instruments but one in particular I just couldn't put down - it had a sound that was seemed to have that magical quality of two sounds at once - it was warm and dark, but without being dull. In fact it had a kind of brightness surrounding the darkness - I can't think of any other way to describe it. Not just this but every note had a sort of resonance that inspired you to play...basically the best tenor I've ever played - I didn't go there intending to buy anything but I just had to take that horn away with me.

Hurling Frootmig
02-06-2006, 06:19 PM
The photos I have seen of the 8 series says Selmer serie II copies to me with the added feature of the double arms ala Yanagisawa.

Pete,

What's your take Selmer copies or Yani copies?

Hurling Frootmig
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
And let me add that there's nothing inherently wrong with these horns being Selmer copies or Yani copies. Remember that's how Yamaha and Yanagisawa started out as well - copying other designs and then modifying them.

Pete Thomas
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
The photos I have seen of the 8 series says Selmer serie II copies to me with the added feature of the double arms ala Yanagisawa.

Pete,

What's your take Selmer copies or Yani copies?

I asked about this and I don't think it's any secret that the horn is inspired by Selmer. It definitely doesn't have that weedy Yanagisawa sound, but then neither does it sound or feel like a Selmer. I imagine one horn can look very similar to another, but the slightest differences in build can be translated into bigger differences in sound or intonation. Double arms are a great feature to copy IMO.

Hurling Frootmig
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Pete,

Thanks for the update. I thought it looked more serie II than Yani. The Yani's feel great in the hand and I love their Bari's and Sopranos.

Jarr
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
PMFJI...

I'm a humble newbie to the sax so my opinions on playing, design etc., are not really pertinent. However, as a Hanson SA5-E owner, I can say in all honesty that Hanson's level of service and customer care is exactly as described on their website and would be hard to be beaten in any industry... and I'm not an employee.

Highly recommended IMHO

RussDavey
07-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the info - just ordered a YAS62, but the cheapest I could find it was 1075 (yet you got sax.co.uk to sell to you for 995!??) The cheapest they would do for me was 1123! You got a great deal Mike!

AlistairD
07-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the info - just ordered a YAS62, but the cheapest I could find it was 1075 (yet you got sax.co.uk to sell to you for 995!??) The cheapest they would do for me was 1123! You got a great deal Mike!

Russ,

I'm sure you will enjoy the YAS62. Let us know how you get on when it arrives....

Morry
07-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I`m going to, eventually, buy either:

The venerable Yamaha YAS 62 from Sax.co.uk for 995 inc delivery, pre-d inspection & setup. 2 years warranty. Standard gold lacquer finish.

Or the pretender to the throne, the Hanson SA8 in 24k gold plate. 919 inc delivery, 5 years warranty and 5 years free servicing and repairs. See http://www.saxophonesdirect.com/

Both come with a case, mpc etc, everything to get you going.

This is how I`m thinking:

The YAS 62 is a very well known sax and is well respected. I expect its resale value to stay quite high over the years but I don`t envisage ever selling it. I`ve played a new `62 and fell in love with it. The fact it is a Yamaha does appeal to me - Ok, I`m a brand name snob ;)

The SA8 is the new kid on the block and the company seem to be doing handstands to gain a customer base. They`re also local enough for me to call in if I ever need anything. A big carrot being dangled is the 7 day free trial and their offer of giving you back its full price in p/x f you ever want to upgrade but at the moment this is their flagship alto.

I`m wondering if I should stick to my first idea, the `62 especially as the price has just been reduced - or - if I should take up the 7 day free trial from Hanson. I could return it if I didnt like it, no quibble they say, then buy the `62. Something else they offer is to buy it back for full price minus 15 per month I`ve had it (and a deduction for any damage/wear etc). It all seems too good an offer to ignore.
I can`t see the `62 dealer doing any of this, so buying there would have to be a pretty final decision.

Another option would be to visit the SA8 dealer (Hanson) and spend some time playing their sax and getting to know the setup there. Chances are, doing that, I`d feel obliged and end up coming away with their sax - unless I was strongly against it which I think is unlikely. Theres virtually no chance I could visit the `62 dealer, its just too far away, which also make me uncomfortable about warranty problems etc.

My heart and some of my head says buy the `62 but my head also puts up a good argument for the SA8.

Have you ever had a choice like this? What would you do?

I can guarantee you that Yamaha will still be in the saxophone business 5 years from now. Who knows if that is true for Hanson. The Yamahas sound great, have good resale value, and are extremely durable to boot. Go with the 62.

Morry
07-16-2006, 08:25 AM

I noticed on that site that they make a titanium bodied clarinet. Cool.

RussDavey
07-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Russ, I'm sure you will enjoy the YAS62. Let us know how you get on when it arrives....

Yeah, will make a nice upgrade to my battered leaky old YAS32! :)

RussDavey
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi,

Got my sax today - plays beautifully thanks for all the advice. It does seem to play a bit flat tho - maybe i have one of the earlier G1 necks... I cant seem to see any "dot" that some of you mention which indicates a fixed neck. Where abouts should I be looking?

Thanks.

RussDavey
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Ahh just rang Yamaha, think i do have the latest one, just need to play around with the tuning - its different from my other saxes and the mouthpiece needs to be fully on really. He said the G1 stamp is smaller on the newer crooks (5mm x 4mm) the older G1 necks had a bigger 8mm x 5mm stamp.

Face Ache Mike
07-18-2006, 10:50 AM
At the wide end of the neck, you cant miss it really. I spoke to a very nice man at Yamaha as I was concerned I may have got the earlier neck. He assured me there was very, very little chance of that happening as the faulty ones were a relatively small batch and the majority of which have been returned now. That was all done about 2-3 years ago. Even if you have ebded up with the early neck, they will replace it for you under warranty.

Welcome to the 62 club :)

Face Ache Mike
07-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah youre right about the mpc having to be pushed further on - same with mine.

Time for a quick blast I think :D

RussDavey
07-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Mike, does this look like yours? Mine doesnt have a dot on it tho, hmmm.

http://www.russdavey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ebay/223.jpg

http://www.russdavey.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ebay/224.jpg

Face Ache Mike
07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Yep, exactly like that! (expect it has a reflection of me in it instead of you)

RussDavey
07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Haha! Thanks Mike! Very reassuring to know i have the right one lol.

Also thanks for the welcome to the 62 club - im very happy now ive adjusted the mouthpiece and found the best position for it. It plays really nice and the metal seems much thicker than my old 32. So much easier to play - should have got one a long time ago!

:)

paul.trumpet
11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
There is no contest between the YAS62 and SA8.

I had to try an alto due to facial problems continuing to play the trumpet. After 26 years practise I am getting worse!

So I got a Conn Selmer Prelude AS700 and Yamaha 4C alto to try. It blew loud and bright - but not in tune enough. I realised I'd be upgrading fast - so I did.

So I sold that and ordered a Hanson SA5 having seen how bad a Yamaha 275 and 475 were in the shops. I didn't like the feel of the keys or the tone produced. OR THE PRICE!
(I never bothered blowing them)

A Hanson SA3G turned up by accident due to a shipping mistake. I still had the SA700 in the house but was amazed at the quality of the Hanson versus it.

Then went back and Hanson shipped an SA5 (they have very few left, they sell out fast) which was HEAVY and had a powerful cutting tone. It even came with a mouthpiece and lig better than the Yamaha 475 has.

A little practise later, I decided the middle D on the horn was hard to get. A friend who's played professionally came and blew it with his Lawton, he didn't like the D either.

I rang up Alastair Hanson, he offered to take the horn back immediately. We chatted a little and he mentioned he had 2 ex-demo SA8's in stock. A new lacquered dull brass SA8 is 699. The ex-demo models were 30 more and very nicely silver and frosted gold plated.

So I decided to buy an SA8 in frosted gold finish after 1 month of saxophone playing. Following postings on this website I also got a Vandoren AL3 and Rico Royal plasticover 2 reeds, BG super revelation ligature.

This combination sounds (and looks) fantastic.

I paid about 800 for the whole thing and a Yamaha YAS62 is a very nice mass produced horn but it would have cost 1300 for the sax (gold finish) and more to get a Vandoren AL3 and BG SR ligature.

Yamaha seem to have captured the saxophone market and the YAS62 is a very nice horn. But it is overpriced and does not offer the character of the Hanson.

Thank you for all the great postings on this website advising about mouthpieces, reeds and horns.

NOW I just need more playing time!

Hanson do not aim for a "rock and roll" screaming bright tone - its VERY easy to play quiet on the SA8 compared to the YAS62. Maybe I'll want a YAS62 when I can blow more octaves...maybe not. Too early to say.

IF you want rock n roll, the YAS62 cuts, but the SA8 is mellow and smoother than velvet.

Did I mention the price?
If it was a new SA8 vintage, it's 699 versus 999 for a YAS62. Hanson include courier delivery.

AND Alastair says they're putting a Vandoren mouthpiece with the SA8 now. Included in the price.

So you now get free delivery, a Vandoren mouthpiece and an SA8 for 699. I cannot believe they will not increase their prices soon. They have met my best expectations.

Did I mention the 5 year warranty? Servicing?

I am very satisfied. The tuning is right on to.

Pete Thomas
11-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Hanson do not aim for a "rock and roll" screaming bright tone - its VERY easy to play quiet on the SA8 compared to the YAS62. Maybe I'll want a YAS62 when I can blow more octaves...maybe not. Too early to say.

That's not to say you can't get a screaming rock & roll sound on a Hanson IMO>

Yes, very nice horns indeed

jonni
11-06-2006, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE]I paid about 800 for the whole thing and a Yamaha YAS62 is a very nice mass produced horn but it would have cost 1300 for the sax (gold finish) and more to get a Vandoren AL3 and BG SR ligature.

And in 3 years time when you want to upgrade to a better instrument you will be lucky to get 30% of what you paid for the Hanson, whereas with the Yam you would have got 60 - 70% of the retail price.

I'm not knocking Hanson or any other Taiwanese instrument but until the trade start to recongnise them as well made instruments that will last and offering to buy them back at a decent price then I'll stick to buying Yam, Yani or Selmer.

Face Ache Mike
11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Interesting that this thread lives on. Its nearly a year since I bought my YAS62 and Im still in love with it, moreso every time I play it :) Its very true about the resale value, I paid 995 for mine and shortly after the price went up by about 200. I know $value isnt everything but it does say a lot.

Good luck to Hanson & co, I hope they become as well established as Yamaha has with its saxes. I`m sure even Yam et all didnt make it overnight.

paul.trumpet
11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
By what magic will I discard the perfect alto sax in 3 years?

I love the thing, the SA8 is great. And under 5 year warranty.

Morry
11-09-2006, 09:09 PM

Bold statement for someone who had been, by his own admission, playing sax for only 1 month at the time.

Face Ache Mike
11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I`m happy to return to this thread in 3 years to compare again.

rogerb40uk
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Perhaps we should ask (if we haven't already!) how long people have kept their 'best' sax.

The problem is, for many IMO, that sooner or later they start to wonder if there isn't 'something better' out there... the beginning of a GAS attack!

My teacher has had his MkVI tenor for over 50 years... I'd guess that's pretty unusual :D
(He paid 50 GUINEAS for it :o )

So, even if the SA-8 is the answer to your prayers, it's quite likely that, in a few years.......

If I had the cash to spare, I might feel this way (and do something about it!) :)

Face Ache Mike
11-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I agree with that, Roger. I love my 62, I`ve had it nearly a year and now I`m thinking of upgrading to the flagship 875. Its not because I`m disappointed with it, its because I want more of the same. If I can, I might keep my 62 - and part with it in 50 years when I can trade it in for a house ;)

paul.trumpet
11-10-2006, 08:03 PM
It is not bold to state the obvious.

Lets say an SA8 costs 699 delivered with a decent case, sling, BG ligature and vandoren mouthpiece.

Now lets go to a shop and see what we can get.
The accessories are worth 100, so that leaves us 600 to buy a Yamaha bottom of the range 275 model.

There really is no contest ON PRICE.

Face Ache Mike
11-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Paul,

First off, we werent comparing the 275, we were comparing the YAS62.

Here`s how I look at it:

SA8 = 699 incuding those other things.
Take away 20 for delivery...
Take away 80 for a decent case...
Take away 20 for sling...
Take away 20 for BG ligature...
Take away 60 for Vandoren mpc..

You are left with 499. I`m being approximate with the figures - its just a rough example.

Tell me what kind of sax would you expect for 499?

Do the same with my YAS62.

I paid 995 including some of the things you got.

Take away 20 for delivery...
Take away 80 for a better case...
Take away 20 for a sling...
Take away 60 for a Yamaha mpc and ligature...

You are left with 815. I know what kind of sax I got for my money.

Try doing the same for those wacky Chinese saxes. You`d be left with a pittance.

The accessories shouldnt figure because they`re expendable.

YAS62 for 995 or SA8 for 699. I chose the Yamaha.

rogerb40uk
11-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Perhaps it simply shows that Yamaha, which AFAIK are sold via wholesalers and retailers, have more people taking a cut than Hanson, which you buy directly from the manufacturer?

At Hanson, I compared my SA-5 (GBP459 including most of the things you mention) with a Yamaha YAS475 which would cost about twice as much, withOUT some/most of those things.
I thought the Hanson was better-finished, and felt more robust.... cannot comment on the sound but I doubt the Yam was/is significantly superior.

So the trade-in value might be less, if/when I wanted an 'upgrade'... unless I chose an SA-8, of course, in which case I'd be allowed the full price I paid.

There really is 'no comparison' between Hanson and Yamaha on price :D
(You'd be pushed to find a 62 for less than about 1200+ now, I guess,while SA-8s still start at 699!)

fballatore
11-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Oooooh, I just learned a new method to determine what the best sax is. Here's my new favorite, only $150. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/SELMER-BUNDY-II-ALTO-SAX-W-CASE_W0QQitemZ220047179911QQihZ012QQcategoryZ64455QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Face Ache Mike
11-10-2006, 09:40 PM
By that logic we should all buy a Ford before a Merc because there`s no comparison on price.

I wasn`t comparing with price being the only deciding factor. We pay once and play many times (hopefully!)

Can we end this now because its nearly a year since I bought my 62 and I don`t regret my decision one bit.

Off to start a thread "875 or SA8" ;)

rogerb40uk
11-10-2006, 09:52 PM
There appears to be some trolling here.... we are not comparing a Merc with a Ford. We are comparing two musical instruments which some people at least think are comparable in build quality and performance.
(A player as reputable as Pete Thomas just wouldn't say the complimentary things he has about Hanson if it were a POS sax churned-out from a Chinese sweat-shop).

One of the two in question simply has a 'famous name' and a price to match and the other doesn't.

BTW, Mike I am delighted that you say you don't regret your choice, and hope you like the 875 even more :D

Face Ache Mike
11-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes, I agree about the trolling. Its getting silly.

I wanted to compare as many factors as people here considered important. I used the info I gained to help me decide. Good use of the forum I`d say.

BTW, where was I this afternoon? Huddersfield!

paul.trumpet
11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
I just wanted to share my experience of buying a saxophone from Hanson. It was a good one. They gave me a better horn for my money than any shop could offer.

Just remember how Yamaha dominate the music shops; pianos, guitars and wind - they make a VERY good profit.

If you fancy a 62 or 875 there are plenty on Ebay.

jakethesax
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Firstly, I'm a pro player, of about 15 years experience, and I have just bought a hanson sb8 (2 months),( partly on reccomendation of a great sax repairer that often works on my horns.. )

The first bari I received had been ever so slightly damaged in trasit, but Maria and Allistair got me a replacement immediately, and were incredibly helpfull, Allistair even bought it to London for me himself.
These horns are good, and should be tried, dont rely on hearsay, get one and try it..
I did try this horn, and it's as good tonewise as the martins I've tested, or many other baris, the keywork is modern, the tuning good, (the only other bari I really liked was a customized selmer super 80ii, and I tried a few good names..)

I also talked with Allistair about horn design in general, and he is a keen developer of instruments who should be at least given a chance..

The Hanson seems much better made than my Borgani tenor, which cost substantially more than a Hanson gold plate tenor....

you should also be hearing my Hanson bari on sky sports channel this rugby season..

Feel the force Luke! (use your ears, words are not always that important..)

rogerb40uk
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
FWIW, Mr Hanson is ALAStair, Jake.... :)

It's his enthusiasm and candour which I find so infectious... no BS at all!
(and Maria is a little sweetie, isn't she... nothing is too much trouble)

chicken
12-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I have just bought a new Hanson ST8 tenor, upgrade from my student yamaha.
It's lovely, big round beefy tone but very controllable dynamics. I was sent so many saxophones in large boxes on approval that we could barely get into the house and lost the cat in the empty boxes. The service was impeccable and I am pleased to buy from a British company for a modest price. After I was thinking of splashing out on a Yani too.
Its made me happy anyway.:cat:

SlipperyJim
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Of course the smart thing to do is buy a second hand Hanson really cheaply, preferably one less than five years old, and get it serviced for free until it's nearly five years old. Then use the original receipt to get a discount on one of their ex-demo upmarket models (or switch tenor/alto ) with full discount of the original price. They're really well made horns. You could beat the guitarist in your band over the head with it and still carry on playing afterwards!

Face Ache Mike
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Crikey! I sold my 62 10 months later (for 750) and bought my 875 which I still enjoy playing after all these years.

juniorfingers
02-27-2017, 05:40 PM
... I almost did that! (the first bit, anyway) An ST8 (gold/silver) (2 yrs old) came up on ebay at fantastically good price and, as I'd been looking, that week, at all these nice comments on Hanson instruments, I made impulse buy. It's a cracker!!! Trouble is I'm only a mid-grade player, so that I will take ages to get it under control. BUT, meanwhile, it LOOKS stunning, feels good and makes me feel good. Thanks to those players who led me to capturing a Hanson; I must get a visit to the far North soon. I'm not sure I'd have the cheek to do the discount juggling though!