Double Bass [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Double Bass

brucemacdonald
10-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Years ago, when I was at school, I had a couple of lessons on double bass. But I was also learning the tenor sax, so I gave up the bass.

I have often wondered what might have been if I had kept it going. I find myself listening to the bass in jazz and thinking that perhaps I should have settled in the rhythm section. Listening to Ornette Coleman and Trane, and their respective bass players (Haden, Izenzon and Garrison) and others such as Buster Williams and Dave Holland, and my favourite, Richard Davis, I pay most attention to what the bass player is doing.

I played bass guitar for a while and though it was fun, it didn't have the same feeling.

Does anyone here double on double bass? What are the challenges, apart from building up strength in the left hand? And what are the recommended student-grade instruments to get (since proper basses command prices that make Mark VIs look positively cheap)?

Best wishes

Bruce

SaxPlayer1004
10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Challenges I had learning was learning all the different hand positions and intonation problems. A lot more guess work and being able to hear the notes. Depending on what you want to do with it depends on the bass. I know a lot of Jazz Bassists that play uprights use either 3/4 size, or electric, or acoustic electric. You can have pickups put on the forks for amps. Depending on your budgets yamaha makes a nice electric upright for around 3 grand I believe. See if a local college or university has a community band that you could try out one of their bass's. Alot of concert charts have them, so you could have a bass to use, and start practicing the easier stuff before the walking bass lines come in to play.