What next? [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : What next?

Loscar9
02-12-2017, 07:40 AM
I have both an alto and tenor saxophone and have been playing for around 8 years. But I have a dilema: do I either

Buy a soprano saxophne
Learn the flute
Learn the clarinet

Any advice would be helpful

milandro
02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
why?

I mean, playing any of this other instruments is fun but the situation that you are in is hardly a ď dilemma ď in the sense that it isnít ď conditio sine qua non ď ( something ineluctable and unavoidable).

Some people play one horn for the rest of their lives and I am certain that you havenít exhausted all that you have to learn on tenor playing.

Over the years, I doubled in many other instruments, all the ones you mentioned and more, but Iíve recently decided to concentrate ONLY on tenor playing rather than spreading my attention thinner among several other horns.

There were also other reasons such as physical problems but the main thing is to concentrate on doing one thing better rather than doing many half-baked things.

I still, occasionally play soprano, alto, flute ( soprano, bass and alto) and clarinet ( soprano and bass), because I happen to buy one and sell it, but in my band I am a tenor only player.

If you like to play more instruments then play them all. Each has its merits and applications and your playing will benefit from acquiring new skills.

spike421
02-13-2017, 03:51 AM
If you're looking for a double that will possibly increase your opportunities to play with a group, Flute has replaced Clarinet for contemporary groups, Latin and 60's and later charts, while clarinet still rules for Swing (thru the 50's into the 60's) and earlier charts. Of the 3 Clarinet, is probably the most challenging and will require more time devoted to it than the others, especially Soprano. About half the players I know own a Soprano and it's a pretty easy transition with embouchure adjustment and getting accustomed to the smaller size. As Milandro said above, any double will take time away from your primary horn, so what are your priorities?

forreals
02-13-2017, 04:26 AM
Clarinet or flute. If you want more opportunities to work you will want to be versatile. A soprano might be more fun for your personal enjoyment though.

For me, the flute was easier to adapt saxophone fingerings to but the embouchure and breath support are very different and difficult to adjust to. Clarinet is the opposite.

adamk
02-13-2017, 05:54 AM
I started on flute then sax.
Tried violin and clarinet.
Still play flute(s) and sax(s)
Really want to try steel pan drum.

Loscar9
02-13-2017, 06:39 AM
If you're looking for a double that will possibly increase your opportunities to play with a group, Flute has replaced Clarinet for contemporary groups, Latin and 60's and later charts, while clarinet still rules for Swing (thru the 50's into the 60's) and earlier charts. Of the 3 Clarinet, is probably the most challenging and will require more time devoted to it than the others, especially Soprano. About half the players I know own a Soprano and it's a pretty easy transition with embouchure adjustment and getting accustomed to the smaller size. As Milandro said above, any double will take time away from your primary horn, so what are your priorities?

One thing stopping me is the style of music I want to play. I currently play in a soul band a jazz and sometimes musically. I am a bluesy jazzy person.
The other thing is when I blufht the tenor I have stopped playing the alto really...so I don't want that to happen again.

jaysne
02-14-2017, 02:51 AM
It depends on what your goals are. Being a "bluesy jazzy person," I could see you playing on any of those three instruments you mentioned.

I say listen to some jazz or blues being played on soprano, flute, or clarinet and see which instruments speaks to you the most (that is, the one whose sound you like most). Then you'll have your answer.

click
02-14-2017, 03:01 AM
Baritone!

nvilletele
02-14-2017, 03:08 AM
Really want to try steel pan drum.

You like pan? You should head down to Trinidad, man . . . . Home of pan and Carnival . . . . and Carnival is starting very soon. The steel band fetes and competitions are probably already going strong.

adamk
02-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Do you know of Chris Wabich?

germanwatches
06-12-2017, 09:33 PM
My comedy show is 75% tenor, 20% vocal, and 5% soprano.

ZootTheSim
06-13-2017, 03:10 AM
Just buy an Aerophone and you can have it all.

JayeLID
06-13-2017, 03:13 AM
The other thing is when I blufht the tenor I have stopped playing the alto really...so I don't want that to happen again.The OP hasn't been back in months..I hope the blufnt didn't prove fatal.....:(