Doubling and different fingerings [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Doubling and different fingerings

Arundo Donax
11-01-2016, 03:45 AM
My main instrument is the tenor sax - however I'm enough of a beginner that I need sheet music to play, rather than having some long-developed bond between sound and key.

Anyway, there are other instruments I'd like to play, such as the recorder, clarinet, and practice chanter. The problem is that I'm afraid playing these instruments will interfere with my sax playing since the keying is either vastly different (clarinet) or slightly different (soprano or tenor recorder). I don't want to look at a written note while playing the sax and hesitate or get confused by the fingering of a different instrument.

Obviously, people successfully double on instruments. Should I just wait until fingering is totally instinctual?

datsaxman
11-01-2016, 04:03 AM
That is what i would do.

dsm

Dr G
11-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Commit to mastering something - THEN consider whether you still "need" to dabble (double?).

gd500
11-01-2016, 03:12 PM
I can see picking up the clarinet to perhaps get more work but recorder and practice chanter? Why??

CaneMutiny
11-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Get an Albert System clarinet. ;)
Good to be solid on one key system but instinctively solid with respect to keys and tone takes centuries. ;)

Seriously though, I started on Sax for the first sixteen then the next forty on mainly Flutes.
Took out my Alto Sax last week and played along with a Don Henley tune in A major.
WTHell F#!!!
Ran the scale/arpeggios and off we were.

Probably take a month for my embouchure to solidify.
Overtone studies plus.
The Legere 2 3/4 felt nice but it ain't wood!
Boxes of old old reeds but not stamped Cremona.
Learn and practice correctly and it lasts forever... hopefully. :D

Arundo Donax
11-02-2016, 02:02 AM
I can see picking up the clarinet to perhaps get more work but recorder and practice chanter? Why??

Music isn't my work; it's my hobby. I'm an engineer.

Merlin
11-02-2016, 02:07 AM
Music isn't my work; it's my hobby. I'm an engineer.

Then just grab the horns you want and go for it. Your time is your own.