Learning the Super 64 Chromatic Harmonica [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Learning the Super 64 Chromatic Harmonica

CaneMutiny
06-03-2016, 12:43 PM
This is my start to get serious about the harp.
Hope it makes sense..... thoughts always welcome.
Just looking for a linear flow at first.
Enjoy.

http://i68.tinypic.com/fp2t4y.jpg

CaneMutiny
06-27-2016, 06:30 PM
The oddity of the harps draw to produce air moving the reed takes some time to get right. Not taking in too much air is important.
Other than that it's just another well thought out instrument.

CaneMutiny
08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm glad we have his music!!!

TonyM
09-04-2016, 11:39 PM
If you want to get serious about chrom, then this is a good book to have.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Play-the-Harmonica-Well-sheet-music/2870029?d=sem_sidecar&popup=false&d=sem_sidecar&popup=false&country_code=AUS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp9087959&sc_intid=2870029&mkwid=s|pcrid|89601884182&kw=&gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5OPPH4wLzq256CVrmSNOYlpZKl275neXgfzfonYxJ6fQaAvyG8P8HAQ

Doug Tate was a good player and a very nice guy. He knew a lot about playing harmonica. He wrote another book about keeping your harmonica in shape (fixed reeds have their own special pleasures) but this is the one that is good for the playing side of things.

TonyM
09-04-2016, 11:42 PM
Sorry I only checked the link after the fact and then realised that it doesn't take you to the specific book.

The book is 'Play The Harmonica Well' by Douglas Tate. It's the best book on actually playing, rather than playing in any particular style, that I know.

CaneMutiny
09-06-2016, 06:44 AM
Tate was the harmonica champion of the world!!!
I was the Duncan yoyo champion of my neighborhood and I whistled as I yoed..... and nine years old. :D
I should get a copies of his books as his knowledge of the instrument, playing and making, is something to absorb in addition to his internet activity and what others say of his life.

Thanks for bringing him to this thread.
I haven't seen video of him playing with his shirt off to watch his body on blow and draw. ;)
To me that is the only oddity about harmonica and is weird, to say the least, when trying to play more than a vigorous adagio. ;)
I hate traveling unchromaticly and harp is less caustic than the picc. :D

I've been spending more time with diatonic harps lately and find that with a limited number of tones available and absorbed, the art of 'themes and variations' to be fun.
More on that in the 'jazz/improv' section.

People love the harp.

It was a fun chore to take a reed from a Hohner Chrometta 8 and make it smaller and fit it into an old Hohner Meisterklasse diatonic in Ab. I think it was C6.
I promised never to miss a day playing flute when I got an alto last year...... but getting familiar with the harp is worth it for sure.