Triggering keys while playing sax [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Triggering keys while playing sax

The Saxist
08-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Anyone here using a "controller" to trigger your keys while you have both hands on your horn? Maybe bass pedals mapped via software to play chords? I've even thought about using a surplus droid phone with an OSC app velcro'd just below the thumb hook to do midi over wifi triggers. I do not want to do loops. I perfectly happy to use what ever technology to make it play. It just needs to be played manually.

I could do (and have done)backing tracks, but some drummers really freak if there's a click. It's also a pain to set up for in-ears.

Looking for ideas if anyone's already been down this road. Please don't say hire a keys player. I would love to, but, it's the economy:mrgreen:.

warp x
08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
I use this to trigger samples, loops, chords, whatever. Can be programmed to do almost anything and is very well built.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCB1010.aspx

Fader
08-07-2014, 06:53 PM
If you're talking MIDI tracks there are any number of triggering devices. I'd create a single long track and just start / stop my way through. Of course that makes taking requests hard but that's not really an issue. The curosity question I have is - IF you're triggering a device to play MIDI sequences of songs from a keyboard - why are you opposed to just having them pre-recorded? Isn't the end result the same? (with a somewhat lower chance of a screw up and one less piece of gear to lug)

The Saxist
08-11-2014, 04:16 PM
My idea is to manually trigger chords/single lines(not sequences) on the keyboard I already have(Juno Di). I already play it live to comp behind the guitar player, and where there's enough space in the melody line, I'll reach over and jab at some chords. The Juno already does programed one finger chords. I was thinking of trying to leverage that. The big issue I see is not having enough room at the base of the keys stand for the pedal, sus pedal, my feet, horns, etc.

I have a feeling my desire to travel light will eventually mute this inclination...

littlewailer
08-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I get the manual thing for sure.

You can't use loops unless everyone is playing to a click. Same with prerecorded stuff. Unless you can get the loop to start in the tempo you're playing in (Ableton or other live mixing software) you're hooped.

Your drummer might start a song at 135 but it's not going to be exactly 135 all the time. People speed up and slow down all the time.

My Looper pedal has a tap tempo light. If I ever play with it live to add horn parts I have to make sure the little light is still blinking in sync with the band. Otherwise I don't even touch the thing.

Also a looper pedal as (opposed to prerecorded loops) requires that you play the thing you want to first before you are able to then loop it.

If you use triggers you don't have to do that. You can just play.

The Saxist
08-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Chrash and Burn! I tested the Juno Di last night; one finger chords don't work over midi, only from the keybed. C'est le Vie...