Sax on the Web Forum banner

travelling with alto

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gary 
#1 ·
I know, I know. You're all going to hate another question about travelling with a sax being asked, but I couldn't find much helpful information.

I'm going to be travelling interstate, by train, for a couple of weeks, and from all the policies and rules I've read, I don't think that I can take my saxophone as 'carry-on luggage.' Obviously I can't go without practising for two weeks, so is there a safe way to take my sax as checked baggage (in the luggage car with all the other luggage)?

Alternatively, I could just take my mouthpiece and several reeds. Is this the best solution?

#2 ·
Well, in this travelling do you *need* your alto with you? If not, leave it at home. Why put your instrument at risk when there is no need? If you have an important audition soon I can understand why you need it... but if it's just practice to keep up your chops, leave it at home. It will only take you a couples days once you get back home to bring your chops back up to speed.

If you do need it, then I suggest investing in a smaller case that is much easier to take on the train. Something strong like a Hicox would be a wise investment. When I'm on a plane (which I'm sure has different rules from a train) I never check my alto. I simply claim my instrument is my career and it doesn't leave my side. It has always fit in the overhead bin, or at my feet... once I even got my tenor in a Selmer vanguard case to be placed in the 1st class closet for the flight.

But, if you don't NEED it with you, don't put your instrument at risk for damage.

#3 ·
I have tried contacting the service several times, trying to get an excemption from their policies, but as you know it is Christmas time, and I haven't got through.

I'm still trying to do that, but I am worried about my chops, I don't have an audition soon, but I've been through a similar amount of time, and its taken me weeks to get back into form, so I'm taking my mp no matter what.

#4 ·
Normally when people travel by train they are allowed to bring a suitcase or backpack on board. If this is the case with your train co. then there is no reason why an alto, which if it's in a Hiscox, Berklee or many other contoured cases, actually takes less space than a big back pack. But you might have to compromise and check your other luggage in place of the alto.

But I kind'a agree with GenericGuy. Keep in mind every time you want to get up to go to the toilet or to the dining car, you've got to take your horn with you. Do you really want to be lugging your horn around every place you go?

Another thought that maybe some of the more experienced guys might have some experience with, and that is, I'm not sure it's even advisable to do much playing on the mouthpiece alone. If I did do that, I think I would at least bring the neck along too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.