Piano Book [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Piano Book

jtyler
08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
I took a short class with the piano a while ago. I know the basics and can play simple songs. I didn't go too much into chords.

I want a book that simply explains concepts, gives an excercise or so, then moves on. It should be a book that a kid would look at and spend a year on, it should simply be a book that explains, then moves on. I have experience in music and music theory, so I don't need that explained.

If someone could recommend a book, that would be wonderful. I think learning piano to a semi-professional level would be good for myself. I'm not in a rush, but I don't want to waste time either.

Really, I'm interested in jazz accompaniment.

Rackety Sax
08-03-2011, 01:50 AM
What style of music do you want to learn to play on the piano?

jtyler
08-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Jazz mainly. I also have added further details.

Rackety Sax
08-03-2011, 03:05 AM
A lot of people will recommend The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine. I think another good book, quite different from Levine, is Jerry Coker's Jazz Keyboard for Pianists and Non-Pianists. Actually I would say it is much more geared to non-pianists, does a lot of explaining and offers suggestions on how to absorb the material. It's geared to playing basic jazz keyboard, not becoming a virtuoso soloist.

jtyler
08-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I like the way that Jerry Coker book looks. I think I'll get that.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I'm playing a one handed sax in my right hand and keyboard in my left hand with Sonny Rollins, I'll be sure to give you some credit.

piwikiwi
08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
I like the way that Jerry Coker book looks. I think I'll get that.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I'm playing a one handed sax in my right hand and keyboard in my left hand with Sonny Rollins, I'll be sure to give you some credit.

dream on

hgiles
08-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I actually like Mark Levine's Piano Book, but I started reading it after already having a BS in Music and studying jazz theory out of the Aebersold's. It was a tough read, but very rewarding in the end. It helped me tremendously in learning how to voice chords for jazz piano, but also gave me a heightened understanding of how the jazz combo operates. But honestly, it's not an easy read if you really strive to understand all that is presented.

piwikiwi
08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I actually like Mark Levine's Piano Book, but I started reading it after already having a BS in Music and studying jazz theory out of the Aebersold's. It was a tough read, but very rewarding in the end. It helped me tremendously in learning how to voice chords for jazz piano, but also gave me a heightened understanding of how the jazz combo operates. But honestly, it's not an easy read if you really strive to understand all that is presented.
It's much better then the theory book imho. The only thing that bother me about it is that is very focused on modern jazz opposed to bebop.

hgiles
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
It's much better then the theory book imho. The only thing that bother me about it is that is very focused on modern jazz opposed to bebop.

Yes, this is true. He doesn't explicitly talk about bebop playing. However, the section on block chord style and specifically drop 2 addresses it in a harmonic way. It's really the same approach just presented vertically rather than horizontally. But again, adapting the concepts from piano to saxophone takes some thinking. It really wasn't easy my first time through it.

I've yet to find any book that is the definitive source for bebop playing. Sure, there are scales and stuff to learn, but there is more to great bebop playing that I just don't have a great understanding of. In many ways great bebop playing is still magical to me.

skeller047
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Here's another thing - every example in the Levine book sounds great. So emulating the style and approach from his examples will lead to a nice solid piano sound.

I am not familiar with the Coker book, though I am impressed by his book "Patterns for Jazz".