Sax on the Web Forum banner

sax/guitar duo to start out

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  paulwl 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I like to start up a band with a guitar player I know. We tend to take it slowly in the beginning, so we would like to have a set of songs to play for a sax/guitar combination. The songs may vary is style but they should include a few jazz standards, known pop songs, etc...
Have any off you have an idea of a set of 10 to 15 songs that are very suitable for this combination?
If it works out okay, we want to expand our duo to a band of four (bass/drums) or even 5 (keyboards).

Thanks for your time.

#3 ·
One of the set lists I have played with a guitar, bass, drums, and keyboard included-

Chamelion
Hey Joe
Blue Trane
Aeroplane
La Fiesta
Bad to the Bone
Mustang Sally
Charlie B. Good
La Grange
No Rain

Any of these a sax can work its way into easily if not already playing a dominant part. We also almost always put in at least one, maybe two jams. Learn to improvise in A minor and other keys with lots of sharps, as those are what guitar players like to play in.

#4 ·
Unless you play in a very quiet, concert hall or club atmosphere, be prepared for the bottom to fall out during the guitar solos. When the guitarist plays single line instead of chords, things get a bit thin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.