Materials For Learning Jazz Piano? [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Materials For Learning Jazz Piano?

theguy2
12-12-2009, 02:42 AM
I recently picked up a keyboard in the hopes of teaching myself a little piano. I figure learning chords and chord progressions will help me progress as a musician, and maybe even get to the point where I can comp myself for recording a few songs. My problem is I don't know where to start with teaching myself. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what to do? I'd prefer it if someone could recommend some books or a software course, but personal methods you've used to teach yourself in the past would be appreciated as well.

I just started sax about 6 or 7 months ago, but I've pushed myself and progressed to a level that's pretty far above the average 6-month beginner. That being said, I am still a beginner, so I'm looking for a newcomer's course that doesn't baby you through the steps of what quarter notes and half notes are like most beginner books, but also isn't so complicated that a relative novice has to struggle through it. If there are any books out there that are specifically written for people who already play instruments but are just coming to piano, that would be perfect. Thanks, all!

bandmommy
12-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Those books that 'baby' you through the steps are EXACTLY what you want.
They give you the basics in getting your hands and fingers working independently.
Don't poo poo those easy finger exercises.
There are a number of piano methods out there. It's best if you do a little shopping to see which one is the most appealing to you.

Isle of Jazz
12-12-2009, 11:10 AM
This subscription site (http://www.jazzpianoonline.com/) looks interesting ...

Tim Price
12-12-2009, 03:05 PM
You got to do a few things...Here are some books that are some of the best and easy to use;

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Jazz-Piano-Improvisation/dp/0739031716/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260633864&sr=1-5

Get everything yo ucan by Noah- These books I use ith my students- They are great.