Problem with Many Instruments [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : Problem with Many Instruments

Michael
09-12-2009, 05:08 AM
I double on quite a few instruments and although I don't consider tenor sax a double to alto sax because if you can play one you can generally play the other. I recently picked up my alto today and it felt VERY AWKWARD and I couldn't get the same control I use to have because I've been playing strict tenor for the last 6 months. If I play my alto will I get used to it in a few days maybe weeks or has my embouchure just weakened because tenor is looser?

gallerytungsten
09-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Keep all your horns in the rotation and it won't be a problem.

Michael
09-12-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't really have time for that. I'm a full on student and....

1. I'm in a quintet for bassoon so I have high expectations to practice and be a good player
2. I play tenor saxophone in a school marching band so I simply need to practice so I cant memorize our 20+ songs which should take some time.
3. Well...what time is left? I'm just wondering if I've set myself back or if I just need some short adapting to the alto.

Mal 2
09-12-2009, 08:41 AM
If you have to emphasize one or two horns, you're going to get rusty on the neglected ones. It's just a fact of life. The good news is that it's not permanent. The rust is easier to knock off than you might think.

Do what you need to do. You're 15, you SHOULD be trying a little bit of everything. You have a long time ahead of you to specialize.

CaillouSax
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Keep all your horns in the rotation and it won't be a problem.

I do this with my alto and soprano and it works. If I don't practice my sop for a while, it shows the problem when I'm back on it. :)

I don't really have time for that. I'm a full on student and....

1. I'm in a quintet for bassoon so I have high expectations to practice and be a good player
2. I play tenor saxophone in a school marching band so I simply need to practice so I cant memorize our 20+ songs which should take some time.
3. Well...what time is left? I'm just wondering if I've set myself back or if I just need some short adapting to the alto.

Don't play so many games on your PC or PS2! :D

If you have to emphasize one or two horns, you're going to get rusty on the neglected ones. It's just a fact of life. The good news is that it's not permanent. The rust is easier to knock off than you might think.

Do what you need to do. You're 15, you SHOULD be trying a little bit of everything. You have a long time ahead of you to specialize.

Only 15??? How lucky you are to have the life in front of you to do all the stuff you want to... as time goes by! :)

muckwee
09-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I do a lot of doubling and it is very hard to keep all of your insturments sounding great at all times. What will help is keeping your mouthpiece/reed setup the same or as close as possible on everything. Eg, play Selmer mouthpieces or Meyer mouthpieces on all your saxes. Helps to keep things consistent. Good luck.

Dr G
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
If you are not yet truly proficient on ONE instrument, you shall be hardpressed to make any headway by distributing your limited time between many.

gary
09-13-2009, 12:45 AM
If you are not yet truly proficient on ONE instrument, you shall be hardpressed to make any headway by distributing your limited time between many.

Word.

Can we spell Carbs boys and girls?

Little Sax
09-13-2009, 12:48 AM

Word.

Can we spell Carbs boys and girls?

...please don't bring up spelling...

:twisted:

Michael
09-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Haha it came back today. Thanks for the comments. Wow 30 minutes of practice does make a huge difference.

CaillouSax
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
I do a lot of doubling and it is very hard to keep all of your insturments sounding great at all times. What will help is keeping your mouthpiece/reed setup the same or as close as possible on everything. Eg, play Selmer mouthpieces or Meyer mouthpieces on all your saxes. Helps to keep things consistent. Good luck.

Interesting idea at the onset... But the thing is that not every MPs match every saxes IMO.

One MP could be great for a sax and be the worst of all for another sax...

It's my 2 cents. :)

vintage bundy
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I've found that I can play alto just fine after a long time if i use my tenor mpc and reed on it. That way I play alto with a tenor embrochure. I haven't checked it against a tuner, though :(

retread
09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I've found that I can play alto just fine after a long time if i use my tenor mpc and reed on it. That way I play alto with a tenor embrochure. I haven't checked it against a tuner, though :(
:shock:

jspark
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I think there is a bike riding stage for each instrument, that is, once you get good enough, its like riding a bike. So much will come back so quick.