Sax on the Web Forum banner

What sax do YOU play?

5K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  PS 
#1 ·
Just curious. I'm still window shopping for my next saxophone (although I have a few candidates), and figured I should probably ask you classical sax guys before pulling the plug! Would be interested in hearing what your setup is; saxophone, mouthpiece, reeds...

#2 ·
Yamaha YAS-875EX alto, Runyon Finesse, Hemke reeds.
Yamaha YTS-62 tenor, Runyon 88, Marca reeds.
Still looking for a better reed for tenor, but overall I'm very happy with these setups!

#3 ·
Selmer Series III Soprano, S80 C**, Vandoren 3 reeds
Selmer Series II Alto, S90 190, Vandoren 3 1/2 reeds
Selmer Series II Tenor, S80 C*, Vandoren 3 1/2 reeds

I really prefer the Series II over the III for classical alto playing, although I have made numerous modifications to my alto (including re-drilling octave holes) to make it play the way I want.

#9 ·
For legit work, I use:

Soprano--Serie III, Rousseau NC4, Rovner EDII, Hemke 3.

Alto--Buffet Prestige, Bilger-Morgan 4, Vandoren Optimum, Hemke 3.
or Buffet S1, Vandoren V5 A28, Vandoren Optimum, Hemke 3.
or Selmer MK VII, Yanagisawa HR4, EDII, Hemke 3.

Tenor--JK SX90R, Vandoren T27, EDII, Hemke 3.

For all the above, I take a Hahn 3 carbon fibre reed as well, in case of emergencies.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input, all!

I ended up with something completely different.. (isn't that how it always works?)

Went up to the local music store this evening to look at some saxes I've been considering. Ended up playing a YTS-475 and a Jupiter 889SG. I went in there convinced I'd like the Yamaha better. Walked out of there with the 889SG. While the Yamaha was pretty as can be, and had excellent, smooth keywork, neither the sound nor the feel was at all what I wanted. I could appreciate the workmanship and that it's obviously a quality instrument, but it just wasn't for me. Like I told my wife, "it sounds too much like a saxophone."

The Jupiter on the other hand just felt *right*. The tone was great; soft, even, smooth. The keys just fell under my fingers (except for the low Bb, which feels a little weird still), and music just flowed... hard to explain, but as soon as I started playing it I knew I found the right one. Didn't care for the 'Jupiter 4C' mouthpiece much; too bright and brassy sounding. Sticking with my el cheapo Goldentone 3 for now. :)

#19 ·
pingflood said:
Thanks for the input, all!

I ended up with something completely different.. (isn't that how it always works?)

Went up to the local music store this evening to look at some saxes I've been considering. Ended up playing a YTS-475 and a Jupiter 889SG. I went in there convinced I'd like the Yamaha better. Walked out of there with the 889SG. While the Yamaha was pretty as can be, and had excellent, smooth keywork, neither the sound nor the feel was at all what I wanted. I could appreciate the workmanship and that it's obviously a quality instrument, but it just wasn't for me. Like I told my wife, "it sounds too much like a saxophone."

The Jupiter on the other hand just felt *right*. The tone was great; soft, even, smooth. The keys just fell under my fingers (except for the low Bb, which feels a little weird still), and music just flowed... hard to explain, but as soon as I started playing it I knew I found the right one. Didn't care for the 'Jupiter 4C' mouthpiece much; too bright and brassy sounding. Sticking with my el cheapo Goldentone 3 for now. :)
Glad to see another Jupiter fan. I just bought a new Jupiter Jas 769-767gl alto and couldn't be happier. I looked at the Yamaha 475 and Selmer Omega and really preferred the Jupiter. This is not a cheap Taiwon horn, it is well built with no slop in the rods and all pads sealed out of the box. The keywork is fantastic and sounds great. The best thing is the price Yamaha 475 $1,500.....Jupiter $650.

#20 ·
tubbycub said:
pingflood said:
"it sounds too much like a saxophone."
Sorry, I'm not trying to start a fire but you wanted a saxophone that doesn't sound like a saxophone? What are you talking about?

If you want a horn that sounds like a flute --> go play a flute
If you want a horn that sounds like a french horn --> go play a french horn
Hey, no offense taken! I should clarify this: before actually picking up the sax for the first time a year ago, I had always associated saxophone with the bright, brassy, loud sound of some players. Honestly, the thought of classical saxophone hadn't ever crossed my mind. So to me, the 'saxophone sound' was always the bright flashy rock sax sound. :) And that's how the Yamaha sounded to me, compared to the Jupiter -- a little thinner, a lot brighter and flashier. Thus, the 'sounds too much like a saxophone' comment. :wink:

#21 ·
Tenor:
1934 (2676xx) Buescher New Aristocrat
Morgan 3C or 5L mouthpiece
Alexander #2.5 Classique or #3 DC reeds
silver Francois Louis ligature

C-Melody:
1919 (559xx) curved neck Conn with sdveral modifications
Custom made Morgan c-melody mouthpiece
Alexander #2.5 Classique reeds
silver Francois Louis ligature

#22 ·
For classical:

Soprano Selmer Serie II silver plate, vintage Selmer Soloist C* Alexander Classique 3.5 Optimum lig

Alto Ref 54 Vandoren Optimum AL3 or Modern Soloist C*, Optimum lig, Alexander Classique or Vandoren Trad 3.5

Tenor Mk 6 1968, vintage long shank Soloist C* or Metal Classic C**, BG metal lig, Vandoren 3.5

Bari Yanagisawa B901 vintage long Shank Soloist D, BG metal lig, Marca 3.5 reeds.

Not scientific shopping, not an unlimited budget, it's just where I've got to for now, and all these setups get me the sound and control I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.