anyone double on other instruments? [Archive] - Sax on the Web Forum

View Full Version : anyone double on other instruments?

puresaxman
03-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals double on any other instruments.
I fugured some of you double on clarinet, possibly flute as well.
I double on oboe, its kinda weird but it keeps my classical ear in tune.
I was wondering if anyone else plays oboe as well. It really helped my chops playing soprano.
I'm a much better soprano player due to all my time on oboe.
I don't play much classical saxophone, because playing principle oboe was really my only vein for classical music.
Sax is where I let it all hang out with blues, jazz and rock.

deblcooper
03-20-2003, 08:44 AM
well,

I play the clarinet plus alto and soprano sax... and am learning guitar!

Does the guitar count? 8)

deb

Gordon (NZ)
03-20-2003, 10:05 AM
There is a special "Doubling" section of the forum under "Learning, Playing, Performance, Teaching Discussion"

danm
03-20-2003, 11:30 AM
I usually play the 4 saxes SATB, but I double on flute and Bass guitar too. I like a break from sax once and a while.

MusicMan
03-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Although I am primarily a bari player, I regularly rotate among the other 4 (including c-mel) to keep my chops in shape.

In our big band, we have a number of charts that call on me to double alto, clarinet and now, even bass clarinet. It's been a long time since I've had to pick up flute as well, but who knows, I may have to reacquire those skills someday...

beth
03-20-2003, 08:57 PM
i pretty much play all woodwinds and brass, and learning guitar and bass...but oboe is also my principal classical instrument...so youre not alone...now i know im not alone :D

woodwindmaster06
03-23-2003, 01:07 AM
I play Bassoon, Clarinet, Alto Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Contrabass Clarinet, Sorprano Sax, Tenor Sax, Bari Sax and anything else I can get my hands on. I primarly play Tenor, and Bassoon

twowheels
03-23-2003, 03:00 PM
I can play a very little bit of flute and clarinet...actively working on those chops. And in the process of learning piano.

Jazzophone
03-23-2003, 04:03 PM
I started on flute ... play tenor/bari sax primarily, and have done stuff on clarinet and trumpet (woot, a brass!) ... good stuff for the breath control, trumpet.

DocSax
03-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Alright lemme see....
-SATB Saxes
-Clarinet (and bass clarinet)
-Flute
-Bassoon
-Guitar
-Bass
-Piano (just a wee bit)

Yah, that's about it...I do a lot of hand percussion stuff, but I'm not sure that counts!

Carl H.
03-27-2003, 05:29 PM
single reeds, strings, percussion.
Limited by ownership:
violin,viola,cello,bass,mandolin,guitar,alto&C sax ,A&Bb clarinet, drum set,SATB recorders
By income generated:
Violin,alto sax,Bb clarinet,Bass,percussion, Viola,Cello,Tenor&soprano sax, Bass clarinet, mandolin and misc here&there (Crinkled cellophane in a pit orchestra once)

Gordon (NZ)
03-28-2003, 05:21 AM
Flute & picc are my forte. Also alto flute, clarinet & 4 saxes in pit playing, for pleasure. Guitar when I was a school teacher. I can play tunes on my hands better than anybody else I have heard, hehe!

Joseph Boucher
03-29-2003, 02:07 AM
I've been playing Alto Saxophone for 46 years and the Bb Trumpet for 31 years. The sax is for jazz, blues, rock, and dance. The trumpet is for concert and marching bands. I really like them both equally. Joe.

Bootman
03-31-2003, 02:07 AM
Been known to play the odd Double.

puresaxman
04-04-2003, 03:52 AM
my least favorite instrument would have to either be clarinet or basson. I wanted to play in orchestra in junior high school but everyone knows its taboo to have a saxophone in orchestra. So my band director had me learning basson. What an experience!! :shock: Learning a whole new clef just started to make my head spin :oops: For the life of me had the hardest time with bass clef. So I put the basson on the shelf and picked up oboe instead. Ended up playing oboe throughtout high school and all through college. Funny though, We needed a basson player for a piece my second year in college, I picked it up and was kinda like a breath of fresh air it was like I almost missed it. Clarinet would have to be least favorite just cannot get the right sound out of a clarinet. Maybe its because the mouthpieces are so much thicker than saxophones who knows? :?

BrianL
04-05-2003, 12:37 AM
I'm primarily an alto/tenor sax player, but I also play bassoon (which I play in concert band now), baritone/euphonium and trombone (Marching instruments).

Merlin
04-05-2003, 04:06 AM
As well as the expected WW doubles, I've also played drum set and classical percussion (for money!)

uilleann1
04-21-2003, 05:29 PM
My doubling skills are the following.

Concert Whistle, Uilleann bagpipes, Northumbrian smallpipes, Lowland Pipes, Bombarde, Recorder, Cello, and Keyboards

I placed a lot of focous on folk instruments which has been very good for me in keeping me busy as a working musician.

Paulsad
04-22-2003, 05:47 PM
I'm jealous - I find playing Sax hard enough even though I've bought loads of keyboards over the years - I just can't find the dedication to learn them properly!

Ivy
04-24-2003, 12:39 AM
In the sequence learned- guitar, congas and latin percussion, flute, alto sax.

I find it easier to learn doubles when you concentrate on each instrument at least 2 years, then move to another instrument. I also practice only one instrument daily- works for me.

Jazzophone
04-28-2003, 12:11 AM
same here ... more than one instrument a day screws me up completely :? but doubling's a lot of fun. it's not very common at my jr high, so people tend to (finally) respect me a little for being a musician because I've got a clarinet, flute, bari and tenor by me at a given time ...

shmuelyosef
05-02-2003, 05:22 AM
Guess I'm not as guilty as I thought...started young on piano. Learned something new at least every five years since then...accordion, trumpet/french horn/etc, guitar, bass, then a lull while my kids were growing up, then saxophone (A->T->S->B), flute, learning to play a trap set now...mainly still a keyboard guy, though, but getting more work on winds as time goes.

Krawfish3x
05-04-2003, 06:23 PM
i have my primary instrument as clarinet and im doubling on alto sax.

Lou
05-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Sax (soprano and C-melody) and BANJO !

The c-melody is obviously invaluable in a band that contains several banjos, as I must read their concert lead sheets. Works fine.

michaelbaird
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I play all the woodwinds except bassoon and I'm learning it. I would like to learn guitar. I may venture into brass :? but that means I have to put my tenor down :cry:

knighttrain
10-03-2003, 04:41 PM
I play the following at jobs: Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Bari Saxes, Flute & Harmonicas.
At home, I also practice the following: Clarinet (that was my lead instrument in school), C-Melody Sax, & Cornet (which I play while my reeds are soaking).

BrianL
10-04-2003, 09:22 PM
SATB saxes
clarinet
flute
piano
bassoon
trombone
marching baritone

Primarily I play alto, baritone, and bassoon.

coyotesax
12-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Primary instrument is sax but have been paid alot more to play keyboards

GZsound
12-05-2003, 08:04 AM
I play alto and tenor and double on keys. Been playing keys for about 18 years and it keeps my band from having to pay for a rhythm guitar player..more money for me!!

MIDI is my best friend..

BrandyLee
12-06-2003, 05:23 AM
I've played piano since before I could walk. But I don't know if I'd consider it a double for me. I mostly just tinker on it nowadays. I'm good enough I can pick up most charts and sight read with proficiency. That's all I really need.

I have the usual flute/clarinet doubles. I picked up French Horn a little while ago to audition for my school's musical pit orchestra. My teacher told me it'd wreck my embouchure, but I havn't noticed anything. Adding another "legit" instrument to my wall can't hurt.

alto-saxist
12-11-2003, 09:45 PM
all saxes
oboe
baritone horn(a tiny bit)
violin
drum set

saxamnphone
12-20-2003, 05:05 PM
started off on clarinet...played that till around three years ago then started on alto. leased two sopranos last year,started learning guitar but decided to learn bass guitar instead. play tenor and bass clarinet when band playing demands,but mostly at home on clarient and alto.
never attempted to play jazz clarinet,that's the sax side!

Draconistarum
01-01-2004, 04:51 AM
I started on the Bb clarinet, then moved to bass clarinet, then Eb contrabass clarinet. Along the way, I picked up alto sax, bari sax, accordion, and guitar.

Owner_of_Artemis_R_Sax
01-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I play and love my alto sax Artemis. I can tinker almost proficiently on a piano. I hate it, really, but it comes in handy- if I ever wanted to play a lower instrument (such as bass clarinet, which looks interesting to me) I wouldn't have to take the extra time to learn bass clef music. It also hones my transposing skills when I feel like it, because there's all this C-instrument music lying around and therefore in order to play it right I'd have to transpose it for my Eb sax.

eugewong
01-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Primary instrument is actually Guitar. Acoustic and Electric. I can play Bass guitar too.

I played Tenor and Baritone Sax in my school band and currently play Tenor in the army band. (National Service...conscription kind of thing)

Just got my hands on a Soprano, so getting myself confortable on that.

Eugene

tplyons
02-26-2004, 02:48 AM
SATB saxes
Double Bass
Harmonica
Guitar
Bass Guitar
Starting clarinet

TenorSax
03-13-2004, 12:54 AM
I play
SATB sax's
Clarinet
Bassoon
Trumpet
Piano
Drums
Guitar (just a little bit)

bigbadbarisax
03-13-2004, 02:23 AM
Here we go:

SATB saxes (mainly bari and alto)
Flute
piccolo
fife
penny whistle
bassoon
bass clarinet
contra-alto clarinet
guitar (I try)
Piano (ditto)
harmonica (once again, I try)

schssax04
03-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Yea, i play clarinet and flute and oboe, in taht order of proficiency, hehe

timobrien
03-15-2004, 02:38 PM
My primaries are tenor and alto sax with

WX-5 windsynth (which plays a variety of woodwind and brass instruments)
Clarinet
Flute
Keyboard/piano
Bass
Guitar
Bass
Drums

tinpalaceroach
03-16-2004, 03:31 AM
well besides the saxes and clarinets my first instrument was the drum set and later latin and african percussion that i studied extensively for years. actually i made a living being a drummer since i was a kid. saxes and clarinets came later from high school and college.

MojoBari
03-16-2004, 04:15 PM
SATB Sax
Flutes (bass thru Db picc)
Clar, bass clar
Have played C-sop sax in public, but wont take C-Tenor out there.

WX-7 wind synth. Have emulated Bass sax and Oboe for pay. Other stuff for fun.

Been a while, but I played Harmonica and Jaws harp for a local production of Shenendoah once.

SaxPlayer1004
05-23-2004, 04:36 AM
satb saxes (rarely soprano mainly tenor)
Bb/alto/bass clarinet
bassoon
tuba
euphonium
guitar

olivier_roinsol
05-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi !
It's quite rare in Europa (esp in France) to double, triple.......
I began with clarinet and learned sax and flute. Now I mainly play clarinets (Eb, C, Bb, alto, basset horn, bass and cbass), saxes (mainly C and tenor, the only ones I have), but too bassoon and contrabassoon in symphony, flute and piccolo for jazz, and too melodica, cornet (a little bit), trombone, alto and baritone horns...
it's too much but I like it !!!!!!!!!!!! :-)