Sax on the Web Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 30 Results
  1. Reeds
    I’ve come across several posts where people rave about the response of old Rico brown box reeds or V-cuts. One of the reasons I’m curious is that I know Paul Desmond played on them, strength 3-3 1/2. I’m not trying to sound exactly like him or anything, but I’m certainly curious how the reeds he...
  2. What to Buy & Why: Mouthpieces
    Hello everyone ! I'm trying to decide which tip opening to get for my d'addario select Jazz mouthpiece in, but I'm having trouble understanding what the tip opening sizes does. I know wider ones let you use softer reeds, and smaller ones make you use harder ones - but I'm not sure what the...
  3. Misc. Saxophone Discussion
    i listened to this awesome player. I have the impression that the mouthpiece is a theo wanne. For the neck, i don't have a clue. can anybody identify this setup pls? thanks Luc
  4. Misc. Saxophone Discussion
    I purchased a new low A bari from a well-known and highly respected dealer and SOTW member. The sax was shipped from the dealer's shop hundreds of miles away. I am confident that it arrived in the same condition as when it was shipped. A major aspect of this dealer's reputation is the...
  5. General Discussion
    Hello, as the title suggests, I'd like some general advice before I head over to the music store. I've already read up on the beginners corner on starting again which looks like some good stuff in re-harnessing a clean sound. I played first chair alto for about 7 years and would have...
  6. Tenor mpc
    Hey, I'm currently studying music in University and I want to invest in a good tenor jazz mouthpiece/lig. I've played jazz before but always on whatever stock mp was available, as alto is my primary. I've been reading some reviews and opinions on which mouthpieces (and ligatures) are good or...
  7. Bb Tenor
    Hello, fellow tenor player here. Would like to get what type of Reed you people use on a Durga if you play one. Thank you
  8. Sax Repair, Maintenance and Modification
    Hi, I have a question about Big B alto keys heights if anyone is willing to answer. I have Big B alto in original factory setup and keys heights are quite extreme. Palm keys are about 7-8 mm and lower stack is almost 10mm (measuring at the front of the key cups). The exceptions are low B, Bb...
  9. Eb Alto
    Hi everyone! :) I'm an Alto player and I plan to buy an upgrade of sax. I've chosen Selmer SA80 Series II Jubilee and I'm confused about the finish/plating I should choose for the sound that I want. I'm a huge smooth jazz fan and I'm inspired by the sound of Gerald Albright, David Sanborn...
  10. Clarinet
    I discovered that I like a bright sound on bass clarinet recently, and I would like to know what mpc and ligature will give me a bright sound. I use right now a b45, Mk.III lot and legere reed.
  11. Electronic Equipment
    Having spent 4 days listening to over 13 hours of live Zorn concerts at the Adelaide Festival I'm even more a Zorn-ophile than I already was :twisted:. Interestingly, a friend pointed out that John pays intense amount of concentration to his live sax sound and has had the same mic for live gigs...
  12. Bb Soprano
    Which mouthpiece would you rather use: otto link tone edge or meyer?(quality control issues aside). If you don't like either, what else would you recommend that is similar and why?
  13. Tone Producing & Embouchure
    I'm primarily an alto player and lately I have been struggling to get a decent sound on tenor. Whenever I do I can't project on it. I'm currently playing on an otto link tone edge 7 with a java 2.5 reed. I was wondering if there is a way to get more kick out of it and if anyone had advice on...
  14. Eb Baritone
    Hi, I'm a new member here and barely found out how to post a new thread, I'm a high school student and want recommendations on good reeds to use, this is my current sax setup: P. Mauriat PMB 301 GL Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* Rico Jazz Select Unfiled 3S Are those good reeds to use? Is my...
  15. Tone Producing & Embouchure
    Hey guys, I've really been working on trying to develop my tone lately as I'm a junior in high school and my jazz band's lead alto player, and it's coming along, but it's still missing that edge I'm looking for. The link below is what I'm really trying to emulate, it's Max Swan a great...
  16. Sax Repair, Maintenance and Modification
    Hi everyone, Just bought a new Reference 54 alto and it plays awesomely in every way, EXCEPT for the 3 palm keys. They are really hard to get! Altissimo is easy and smooth, mid range is easy, low notes are full and doesn't gurgle at all. Its just those 3 notes that are problematic. It is hard...
  17. Classical Saxophone
    I've been looking for a darker tone for classic solos for a while now but can't seem to find a good setup for my liking's. My setup is as follows: Yamaha YAS-82Z Selmer Paris Soloist D Facing Mouthpiece Hemke 3 reeds A ligature I've had since 6th grade (I'm a junior in High school now) Are...
  18. Alto mpc
    Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what mouthpiece/ligature/reed combination(s) Jimmy Dorsey used on alto? Thanks in advance for any info!
  19. Electronic Equipment
    Ok, there's a lot of action going on about wireless mic setups (for sax) and which ones are best and all of that, and I'm interested because I want to buy one in the next month. Let's get it right down to the grit and decide which wireless mic setup is best. First, though, some rules. 1) The...
  20. Alto mpc
    Is anyone kind enough to make some suggestions? I'm thinking it is probably a Runyon or a Dukoff (but he doesn't "sound" like he's playing Dukoff???).
1-20 of 30 Results