Sax on the Web Forum banner

Discussions Showcase Albums Media Media Comments Tags Marketplace

1-20 of 93 Results
  1. YouTube videos
    Hello, everyone! I want to share my transcription of Greg Tardy's great solo from Marcus Printup's album "Peace in the Abstract". I really wonder why Greg Tardy isn't as popular as some other contemporary jazz sax players. He's playing is virtuoso and soulful, however I can hardly find an...
  2. Eb Alto
    Please help me figure this out. I am studying the tune, Maputo by Marcus Miller performed by David Sanborn and Bob James. The published edition from the David Sanborn collection looks like it does in this video: 1) Maputo [DAVID SANBORN] [alto saxophone] The Eb Alto Sax part looks right, but...
  3. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Harold Land's solo on "Jordu," transcribed by my Skype student. Download PDF : https://jazzsaxophonelessons.com/harold-land-solo-transcription-jordu/
  4. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone, its been a while but im back with a now transcription topic, the great Eddie Cleanhead Vinson. Here he is playing Cherry Red Blues with the Cootie Williams Orchestra. Download your free transcription here...
  5. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Great solo! The whole album (Mulgrew Miller - Wingspan) is great as well.
  6. YouTube videos
    This popped up in my YT feed today. I thought it was pretty awesome. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xriCzbtuHlg (Note: it's a YouTube "short" so it doesn't seem to embed like a normal video)
  7. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone, here's another free Earl Bostic Transcription for you! A killer 12-bar solo on Hurricane Blues! Download your free copy here: Earl Bostic Transcription | Hurricane Blues Follow along on Youtube here:
  8. Practicing
    I'm doing my transcription exercises like a good student, currently working on Cannonball Adderley's solo on Stars Fell On Alabama. I am computer savvy but incompetent at all music software, so I'm learning them as I go. I'm good to go for looping -- I'm using Audacity on my PC and Music Speed...
  9. Training Material
    I hope this comes in useful for people here. Learning to read music and music theory really does not have to be a slog. Learn rapidly the easy way!
  10. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone, the next artist in the transcription series is Earl Bostic, and it's one hell of a solo. 'Earl Blows a Fuse' is on the changes to Stompin' at the Savoy Hands down one of my favourite saxophone solos in the history of jazz, its one hell of a solo full of fire, and his has that crazy...
  11. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone! Another Free Johnny Hodges transcription for you, this time he's improvising a backing for Sweets Edison on Basin St Blues from 'Back to Back'. This is a masterclass in how to leave space for a soloist while generating interest and forward motion in a counter-melody! Download your...
  12. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Happy Thursday SOTW! Here's this week's transcription - Johnny Hodges on 'Blues O Mighty' from the rare album 'Blue Rabbit' with Wild Bill Davis and Mundell Lowe *CORRECTED. Download your free copy here: https://saxteacheruk.com/transcriptions/blues-o-mighty-johnny-hodges-sheet-music.html...
  13. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everybody! The inimitable Johnny Hodges is up next in my transcription series, I'll be doing a few of his solos! Here's my first transcription, this time of 'Papa Knows' from Everybody Knows - one of my favorite jazz albums of all time. It's a nice rhythm changes with a 'Solitude' bridge...
  14. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone, Happy Sunday! Here is my latest transcription, this time of Ben Webster's solo on 'How Deep is the Ocean?' from the album Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson. I love this solo! Make sure you listen to how Ben plays the melody before the solo, this is a masterpiece in and of itself...
  15. Playing Songs
    Hello there, Kamasi Washington is one of my favourite saxplayers and I found The Epic an amazing album. I was wondering if anyone had any tenor transcriptions of Kamasi Washington? Doesn’t matter which song, because I think I’ll enjoy playing all of ‘em.🎷 Thanks!
  16. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everyone! After a break I'm baaaaack! As promised starting the next in the transcription series after Lester Young. This time, I'm focusing on Ben Webster, starting with his soulful, sweet and driving solo on Bye Bye Blackbird from the album 'Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson; As always the...
  17. Practicing
    Does anybody know of any pros/cons of transcribing solos on the original horn that was played vs your main axe? For example, I'm an alto player who has a tenor but I'm more comfortable on alto (perfect pitch makes it so I'm more comfortable with the fingering-note correlation when taking solos)...
  18. Sheet Music & Transcriptions
    Hey everybody, I'm back with a new Lester Transcription this time on Shoeshine Boy. This will be the last Lester Young solo I'll do, moving on to Ben Webster next. As always the sheet is available for free download and also comes with a guide on how to practise the transcription.✨ Here's a...
  19. Practicing
    Hello one and all! After a brief hiatus we're back with another FREE transcription of a classic Prez solo, this time on Oh, Lady Be Good! As always the music is free to download for both Tenor and transposed for Alto. Link...
1-20 of 93 Results