Sax on the Web Forum banner

Need Suggestions for a New Gospel Arrangement

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Honeyboy 
#1 ·
I want to start arranging a new piece for either flute/sax duet or sax and a singer. I'm terrible with remember the names of popular gospel tunes. So I usually need suggestions. Once I find a tune I like, will build the score and create any needed backing track.

1. The criteria is something fairly contemporary but common enough that most church folks will recognize the tune.

2. It needs to be true gospel with a gospel message and not just inspirational like Wind Beneath My Wings or some early Cat Stevens. I like that stuff, but usually only use it at weddings. This song will get used in church services.

Your help is appreciated.

#2 ·
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of gospel song books on the market. Hal Leonard sells two large fake books and dozens of other books - go to their web site or sheet music plus for a list of books with titles therein.
A Closer Walk With Thee was a Arnett Cobb standard for one suggestion.

#3 ·
Thanks. I already a do mean Boots Randolph version of Closer Walk on tenor. My issue isn't lack of resources, I have lots of books and there's always the "sum of all human knowledge" on Google.

I just need someone to suggest something I will also find interesting. A lot of the time my wife suggests things that are too lifeless or too simple to do much with. I figured some folks on SOTW, with similar sensibilities to mine, might offer some choices I hadn't thought of but would find interesting. Once I have the name of the tune, I can easily come up with the resources. In the end, I'm just trying to tap into the "coolness" that is the SOTW membership. :bluewink:

#4 ·
Try this - The Old Account Was Settled Long Ago - but don't play quite as written. Remove the dotted eighths, play quarter notes instead but play at something like 130-150bpm, whatever you and your ensemble is comfortable. Keep the call and response in the chorus with the various parts. Play the last verse in a minor key in something like 60bpm then pick it back up at the chorus.

Played with quarters and the whole notes, leaves this tune with even more embellishments that can be added rather than the dotted eighths (which has a nice lilt to it but played as described changes the tune somewhat but leaves it eminently recognizable for most).

#5 ·
I think this is a fantastically beautiful and soulful gospel number by one of the great families of gospel singing, the Winans. It really knocks me out. Listen and see what you think.

Just imagine a sax playing the part that they have the harmonica doing.

If you like it and work out an arrangement I would love to get a copy.

Peace.

#6 ·
Check out Lincoln Brewster or Chris Tomlin on youtube. These guys are writing great stuff. "Everlasting God" is a real catchy tune, for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.