Sax on the Web Forum banner

Antigua winds sop sax?

75K views 240 replies 66 participants last post by  saxcop 
#1 ·
Hi, has anybody had any experience with Antigua winds soprano sax before? How's its quality? I was told that it is patterned after the Selmer Series III.

#3 ·
I'd be intersting in hearing about these also. USAHorn told me that are a computer copy of the Yanagisawa 901. Has any one played one? I'm starting to think you don't always have to spend top dollar to get a decent laying horm. MY friend(a berklee student 4th year) just bought a Cannonball soprano. He paid 1300 for it. It sounds great and he can fly over that keywork.

#6 ·
Antigua Winds new Sopranos.

The three newest sopranos from Antigua, the 582 (a "best buy"!!!),
586, 590, have swelling in the palm key and upper stack region, not a straight bore. This corrects the octave to octave relationship of the sax, and was part of A. Sax's design. It is quite apparent in the Vintage Bueschers, which have marvelous intonation.

This information is from Paul Coats.

#9 ·
BobD, actually, I am serious. Once I played it (the 582 model), I really started wondering about the benefits of paying $3k+, or over 4 times as much, for a name brand horn. The build quality of the Antiguas (speaking of sopranos here since I haven't tried any other size of Antiguas) are in short quite astonishing. Let's put it this way: it's a horn I wouldn't have to think twice about if I had to take it on stage with me. They're THAT good. Antigua very accurately reverse-engineered the Yanagisawa line of sopranos (582 is a copy of the 901). I'd like to try their top-of-the-line soprano with the two necks (a copy of the 991). I bet that's a sweet player. A cool grand for that horn - value's written all over it.

#10 ·
Would anyone mind if I were to refer possible customers of the Antigua sopranos discussed to this thread? I would not quote it on a website but when asked for a review of the new models, I would simply e-mail them this thread address. Is this OK with all involved?

I do carry the new Antigua models and they are phenomanal.

What they did was actually reverse engineer and computer copy only the S991. The model 590 is the direct copy of this horn and is available in lacquer, silver & black nickel.

They then took the design and spec'd off the High G but left everything else the same. This is the 586 model and is only available in lacquer.

Lastly, they took the design and spec'd off the High G and the dual necks (which is essentially the difference between the S901 and S991). This is the 582 model and is only available in lacquer as well.

#14 ·
SuiZen said:
What's the difference between the 586LQ and 590LQ besides the latter having the high F key, and the lower price of the former?
DaveKessler said:
What they did was actually reverse engineer and computer copy only the S991. The model 590 is the direct copy of this horn and is available in lacquer, silver & black nickel.

They then took the design and spec'd off the High G but left everything else the same. This is the 586 model and is only available in lacquer.

#16 ·
Interesting, isn't it . . . how things tend to come full circle. Yanagisawa seems to have gotten their big boost building a sax that many say was a reverse engineered copy of a Mk VI. I guess that was somewhere back in the pre-800 series models. Now they are the target. It would be quite a complement . . . if it didn't cost you market share.

#17 ·
SuiZen said:
The benefits :oops: of speed reading. Thanks.

The difference in list price, of $300 (Kessler's web page), just for one (G) key made me wonder if there were other differences.

Bill
Actually, Those prices will be dropping as follows:

582LQ - $695.00
586LQ - $825.00
590LQ - $925.00
590BC - $995.00
590SPC - $1025.00

Those original prices were what my father wanted to sell them at but since I have been moving a large quantity of them, I lowered the prices to more "reasonable" levels to move even more of them. The old rule of "Quantity" in sales only helps everyone.

Bill, yeah, that is the only differences in the models. The case on the 590 is the best overall but the other 2 cases are not junk either. Heck, they even kept the engraving the same on all the models.

SuiZen,
They do make that curved soprano but it is not anywhere as good as their current straight models. I am not aware of them making a new "Yanagisawa" copy curved anytime soon.

In my opinion, if you want a curved, just go all out and get the Yani because they are the only ones worth putting money into.

#18 ·
I just purchased the Antigua Winds 590BC from Dave - yes, it's really a wonderful saxophone. And not just at this price point. It's a great sax period.

I shopped the 'big 4' - loved Keilwerth (SX90II) but not the price, loved Selmer (III) but not the price, liked (not loved) Yamaha (875, not the others) but not the price, and really loved Yani 901 and 991 - and was ready to live with the price. I was ready to buy the S901, which is the best deal going in the high end models.

Then I heard about the Antigua 590 from various posts here. I proceeded to ask Dave lots of questions (thanks, Dave!). He pointed me toward Paul Coats, who was VERY gracious in answering all of my questions (thanks, Paul!!). Paul really talked me into the 590 (well, and a couple of Runyon mpcs). And I'm glad he did.

Details: Intonation - great. Construction - solid, I mean really solid. Finish - the body is perfect, the keys are about 90% of what the Yani would do. Pads - no sticking, no leaks. Included mouthpiece - throw it away and buy a good one. The included ligature is made from foil, I think. (Okay, so Yani ships nicer mouthpieces!) Notes - they all play, easily. I've been enjoying playing high "G' - much to my dog's dismay.

Yup, this is a great sax. Paul and Dave speak the truth. If you've got your mind made up to buy a big 4 sax, then buy it, and help keep the economy going. But this one is FAR better than the Yamaha 475 or 675, better than the Selmer Series II, and in the same ballpark as the big 4 high end models. If you're a student, or play for your church, or don't yet have a recording contract with a major record label, you should at least give this one a try.

#21 ·
Sorry, guys, I missed this thread.

I have played the Antigua A558-LQ Curved (in lac) for about 3 years now, and it is quite good. Intonation, tone, all of it. The keywork is light and fast. I had to open the low C, B and Bb keys a little, just trimmed the bumpers, but I had to to the same to most of my other saxes, including my Mk VI when it was new.

I have had the Antigua Winds A590-LQ (the top model with high G and two necks) for almost a year now. It is absolutely outstanding, and I have playe most of the newer sopranos around now, in all price ranges. I played it side by side with the similar Yanagisawa 991, and I could not tell a difference.

I also test played, over a period of several days, and several different times, several A590's, 586's and 582's. I just could NOT tell a difference in tone, response, or intonation. They all played identically.

The fit and finish are the same on all three models. They differ only in the features... necks and high F# or high G range. So, it is like asking, is a Camaro with a sunroof a better car than a Camaro without? No, it is jut different. Same quality, just another feature added. Same with these three models.

Also check Bill08690's post. Yes, I wrote that to him.

If anyone wants pictures, there are pics available on the kesslermusic.com site, and I can send some closeup details if you write me and tell me exactly what view you want. tenorman@teche.net But look at Dave Kessler's site first.

Yes, I think the A582 is a real bargain. The lack of a high G key is not really a disadvantage. BUT, the lack of fork or front F and high F# on the older (Mk VI, etc) sopranos IS a disadvantage, especially when it comes to playing high F#, G, and going on up to altissimo G# and A. Using the regular palm key F# and G fingerings puts the hands out of position to go higher. Using the modifed fork F fingerings for F# and G fixes this, and only a high F# key is needed for the "Fork high F#" and "Fork high G".

The keywork is great.

I just cannot describe how well these saxes play. And if you want something that is a step up from the bargain basement sopranos, but really can't afford something from the "Big Four", you really can't do any better than any one of these three Antiguas.

Negatives, one person mentioned throw away the mouthpiece. In reality, the mouthpiece that comes with these is a far sight better than the Rico Graftonite that used to come with many imported saxes. It plays well, good intonation, good tone. Do try it. Yes, there are better mouthpieces to be had than the mouthpiece that comes in the case, but that can be said of most any instrument. This one will work, and work well. Try it first.

I twisted their arms at Antigua, and talked them into trading DOWN on the case. The A590 case is a leather covered wood case, very nice, elegant looking. I traded for the nice gray plastic case from the A586. Flush latches, aluminum bezel, good handles and hinges, and rugged construction. I felt it would hold up better to tossing in the back of the van with 12 or more saxes, music stands, chairs, etc, when traveling with my sax ensemble.

The classy engraving is the same on all three models. You don't get a naked, stripped down looking soprano if you buy the 582.

Seriously, I really could not tell the difference. So, why did I get the A590? I could care less about a curved neck, or even having it removable. I don't need a high G key, the high F# lets me play fluently (well, as fluently as I can) up to high A. But when I first played the prototype, the only one of this new series was the A590. And right then I told the people at Antigua, I WANT ONE ASAP! The first shipment that came in was A590-LQ's. So that was it, I was not waiting any longer.

Then, as soon as I got mine, I called my sister, a very fine saxophonist/flutist, and said, "Sell your soprano now... you're getting a new one!" I talked her into getting one, and she did, just on Big Bro's say so. And she LOVES her new A590-SPL (silver plated).

Sounds like a sales pitch? You bet! But I have no financial interest in this. I don't sell new instruments, but occasionally I may sell a personal instrument, a very rare event, usually to finance another, better sax. I am just very enthusiastic about a fine instrument I really enjoy playing, and it is quite affordable to most players.

---

Hey, Mike, jgill2000 asked me what I was playing (and most of my friends) and recommeded. What can I say? Mikey LIKES it!

Thanks jgill2000!

#24 ·
Their previous bari sax was OK, nothing special. Their new model bari sax is outstanding. I saw it test played by young students and seasoned pros, and everyone who played it liked it. This is really a company that in in constant improvement, they listen to their customers and dealers.

Dave, I don't know, I am sure that would be a decision of cost, ability to manufacture, etc. I know they have done copper plating in the past, and the black nickel.

#25 ·
PaulC is right about the stock mouthpiece with the 590. I was a bit harsh - it's not bad. Yes - it's MUCH better than the Rico mpc that came with the Unison sop that I was renting. (Man, was that thing BAD). Btt I've got a Yamaha 5CM that I really enjoy (can anyone out there reface it for me? It needs openeing up a bit) plus a couple of Runyons that I'm adjusting to, so the stock mpc with my Antigua won't get any use.

After having the 590 for a couple of weeks now, I'm still totally happy with my decision. Yeah, if I wanted to save another $300 or so, the 582-LQ would have been just as good. (Maybe I should have done that - I could have bought more mouthpieces!) But the black nickel finish sure is pretty. I just love the tonal quality and the intonation of this thing.

Here's a suggestion for Antigua - modify the case so that there's a higher divider inside between where the reeds and stuff are stored and the saxophone itself. If the stuff in the storage bin is loose, it will fall 'out' and land on the saxophone. I use the polishing cloth to keep everything in there now.

Oh, and the stock ligature is REALLY soft. I've accidentally squashed mine a couple of times already. It won't last much longer.

Yup - that's all I can criticize. Paul & Dave - thanks again!!

#26 ·
jgill2000 said:
(can anyone out there reface it for me? It needs openeing up a bit)
I do have a really good mouthpiece guy here. He is the one who did my prototype designs for our Kessler Alto & (upcoming) Tenor mouthpeices.

He does all the mouthpiece refacing work for all the locals. He grew up about 5 minutes from Ralph Morgan and learned from him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.