Sax on the Web Forum banner

Robert Martin?

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
I was at a music store just looking around and I found an alto labeled "Robert Martin". I've never heard of one of those before. Is it a type of Martin or a whole different brand? It cost $1425. Is that a fair price? (This is considering I come back with my mouthpiece, try it out, and like it.)

Thanks,
Tony

#2 ·
Did you happen to snap a pic of it?

I believe these were mostly (or entirely) French stencils. I'm aware that there are at least a few Robert Martin Dolnet stencils out there.

It would be worth snapping a pic when you go back.

If it is in fact a French stencil, it may be a great player, but the price is a little optimistic on the part of the store.

#8 ·
That's my Robert Martin there...

Oui!.....Martin, Robert Martin! Macon, France! No relation to the Martin of America!

read this (confusing but that's the way it is) They made clarinets and had many brands ( Dolnet, Pieret, Couesnon ) stencil for them, possibly not worth the asking price.:tsk:
I agree, as a stencil it's only worth up to as much as the equivalent "name brand" and possibly less. Sometimes with th stencil's there isn't an equivalent, ie the stencil is not of the same spec or quailty as any of the name brand models. I believe in the case of my tenor it's identical to the Dolnet M70 (it actually has M70 engraved) so I'm asking a price I consider to be correct for the Dolnet, although being a horn I don't really want to say goodbye to it's not what i call a "bargain" price.

In that respect, if this Robert martin is identical to a model of Dolnet, Pierret or Couesnon, then $1425 minus a discount and a bit of haggling could snag you a great horn at a good price. But bear in mind though these European models (including many stencils such as this) are really every bit as good as the best vintage US or Selmers, they don't command such high prices.

If you love the horn, buy it, but don't expect a quick or highly profitable resale.

#7 ·
Oui!.....Martin, Robert Martin! Macon, France! No relation to the Martin of America!

read this (confusing but that's the way it is) They made clarinets and had many brands ( Dolnet, Pieret, Couesnon ) stencil for them, possibly not worth the asking price.:tsk:

Originally Posted by saxpics
You're copying and pasting SML info. Allow me to copy and paste more:Jazzbrass, while I very much so appreciate your e-mail, if Robert Martin stenciled mainly from Couesnon, I haven't seen it. The only Robert Martin sax I've seen was a Pierret stencil. IIRC, Robert Martin was a clarinet manufacturer and everything else was a stencil. Couesnon did stencil saxophones for folks, most notably Selmer, but I haven't seen any mention of them doing that after 1931 or so.

I had, a few years ago, a flugelhorn signed Martin with Mâcon, which was appraised by Jean Michel Renard like a Stencil of Couesnon.

See on this subject my page:
http://web.mac.com/mjean2/iWeb/Brasswind/99CD0A5E-15EC-46A1-AD6A-28F098233721.html

I currently write a history of Couesnon, I were unaware of that Couesnon had worked out Stencils for Selmer. I am thus very interested by information which you have on this subject

#12 ·
Hello !
I'm a french saxman.
Robert Martin In Macon, Burgundy has an old shop (from 20's). He isn't a factor.
At first, the R Martin horns were some Couesnon Saxophones really good stencils with the same quality as the Couesnon saxes. Then, R Martin saxes were Dolnet, Pierret and Beaugnier models.
The best models i have played was the couesnon stencils, really good saxes.
Here in France, Dolnet aren't considered as good horns, keys and tune are not so good as Selmer and secondly Buffet,or SML. Dolnet intonation is al little beat poor .
In france you can find Dolnet tenor for 500 € commonly, but they stay long time for sale.
Selmer are over reason costs, Buffet not really loved by most of the jazzmen and SML gol medal begin to cost more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.