Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 - 2012

351K views 2K replies 66 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I try to mix things up by playing Rap & hip hop. Here's one of my videos...

#159 ·
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here 2011

I worked on my recording setup this week and the resulting recorded samples (for my ears only) sound promising so I hope this next week to get some stuff up here.

Mike - We should do 'Body and Soul' for Decembers TOTM - I've always wanted to do that one -it's a classic!

#160 ·
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here 2011

I worked on my recording setup this week and the resulting recorded samples (for my ears only) sound promising so I hope this next week to get some stuff up here.

Mike - We should do 'Body and Soul' for Decembers TOTM - I've always wanted to do that one -it's a classic!
Seconded!

#162 ·
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here Nov.2011 -

Mike, body and soul is a great tune and for a first go through you did well. There were some timing issues that I assume are down to lack of familiarity. That backing isn't doing you any favours. I actually think that tune may be the one that I have the most copies of in my collection, I think my favourites have been reharmonized by the likes of Coltrane and Dexter but there are a lot of great versions that are played straight.

I've gotten busy again over the past two weeks and my practice time has been going towards work for the improv class. I will be getting my x-mas tune done but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much else posted.

I will try to get back to catch up on the rest of the recent postings.

#166 ·

Mike, body and soul is a great tune and for a first go through you did well. There were some timing issues that I assume are down to lack of familiarity. That backing isn't doing you any favours. I actually think that tune may be the one that I have the most copies of in my collection, I think my favourites have been reharmonized by the likes of Coltrane and Dexter but there are a lot of great versions that are played straight.

I've gotten busy again over the past two weeks and my practice time has been going towards work for the improv class. I will be getting my x-mas tune done but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much else posted.

I will try to get back to catch up on the rest of the recent postings.
Thanks Claude. I thought this would be right up your street, haven`t you talked about this a few times before?
Good to hear you`re busy again playing again. Sometimes we need "something" to get us motivated. For you its yourr improv class. For me its a new gadget lol

I might give B&S another go next month if we decide to have it as TOTM.

Meanwhile, I had a blast in the jungle with this on my alto and soprano:

Infant Mammuthus Ambulation

#163 ·

Ok, I lied. Mike's version piqued my interest and I figured I should have a go at body & soul. I know the melody pretty well but I'm a disaster on the improv even though it was just on the A section. I didn't really work at it so that's my excuse, I plan to have another look at this later on and finally nail down at least the A section.

Body & soul(less)

#165 ·

Ok, I lied. Mike's version piqued my interest and I figured I should have a go at body & soul. I know the melody pretty well but I'm a disaster on the improv even though it was just on the A section. I didn't really work at it so that's my excuse, I plan to have another look at this later on and finally nail down at least the A section.

Body & soul(less)
Ha ! I should have read your post first, but instead I went quickly to your take to hear what you did over the B section .. because I can't get anything to fit !

So I guess I'll have to wait for your next version !

Sounds great so far .. nice and smoky. :mrgreen:

#169 ·
#170 ·

After more than one month working on it, this is my "middle-target" of Giant Steps at 85% of original speed. Really strong to follow lines and..to breath...

http://www.filippoparisi.net/music/Giant_Steps_85percento_alpha
Nice job ... it's probably harder to breathe at the slower pace as the lines last longer !
My teacher has me playing Countdown just to help get my fingers moving - and I can barely manage half speed !

#171 ·

I can't seem to listen to your post filippo.

I had an interesting experience last night in my improv class that showed me how limited my musical experience has been so far. I experienced my first train wreck, we were trying to play a tune as a starting point for some improv and I have always had a backing that I could rely on to keep going if I messed up, this time I lost the melody early on which seemed to cause a chain reaction among the others, we had a professional bass player playing with us who tried to get us back on track by playing the melody loudly but I couldn't figure out what bar he was on and we ended up just stopping. The fun part was that I got to play a duet with the pro bass player and we just went off on a tangent and I was playing stuff that I didn't know I could play.

#172 ·

I have always had a backing that I could rely on to keep going if I messed up, this time I lost the melody early on which seemed to cause a chain reaction among the others.
I think the experience you described was worth the price of the whole course !

I went through the same thing when I played with a guitarist recently. We worked our way through the Real Book, playing different tunes I was familiar with. (he seemed to know them all !!)
Without the backing track to play over, I'd get lost fairly often. :cry:
I guess it's because a backing track is a whole band with drums, and doesn't vary.
Anyway I had to really listen and concentrate .. and solos were even riskier !!

I'm sure it's been said before ... but I guess it proves that play-alongs are a poor substitute for real live experience.

#174 ·

Cleger, So your course is doing what you hoped.. to highlight your weaknesses then strengthening you where its needed. Thats the thing that sets the pros apart from us, being able to adapt to varying (and lost) other instruments.

The playalongs spoil us with their perfection and its the one thing in a band you have to be wary of, that the others are human as well and will mess up in varying degrees. I speak from painful experience.

What can be annoying is when you feel sure you are right but someone else, (who is usually louder), continues out of time. My band leader tells me just to play with confidence, ignore those that are wrong and either they willl adjust to me or they will be corrected by him at the end.

Its good to hear you`re enjoying the course as well as learning from it :)

#179 ·

sorry to hear that Mark, but you gotta do what you gotta do.... wouldn't a Christmas tune help? ;-)

Still working on mine... some stuff has gotten in the way, lost a friend this weekend, so wake and funeral this week, and video biz, and well the day job...lol

#185 ·

When are they due again? My recording issues have really hampered me when I have had time to do it.

Mark - Just submit the one you did earlier, it's a good take..I may just go with my first take as well.
Hi Alan/Bill Yeah o.k. despite some serious criticism I'll leave it to the discretion of Adrian.
cheers, Mark.

#192 ·

A little experiment in Rewiring Sonar and Notion:

Caledonia

I wanted to record the tenor part too but I struggled to transpose it in Notion. Maybe another day.

edit: added tenor part and re-recorded the others too.
Hey Mike, that's a much other genre than you normally post. Great take, well done :).

I finally got my recording setup to where I could knock-off another take of my xmas tune. Some of you said you liked my sound on last years Run Rudolph so I dusted off the PPT mouthpiece I used on that one and did this second take with it. I still want to do another version because I was so concerned about getting the sound right that I didn't put any effort into the small solo section and it shows. Reminder -here is the first take I recorded/posted a couple weeks ago that I REALLY didn't like the sound of: If Every Day and here is the second take recorded today: Like Christmas ..which do you guys prefer, the mellow or the crisp? Something in between?
Both sounded good to me Alan. Soundwise I liked the first (mellow) take a bit more, but the second was also good and you played better on that one. It's ofcourse up to yourself to decide :).

Howdy all,

Here's the current bash at the other christmas song, It came upon a midnight clear. Definitely some mix issues to sort out, and maybe some rearranging of octaves?

It came upon a midnight clear.mp3

Cheers,

Dave
Great one Dave, very enjoyable to listen too :).

Hi Alan/Bill Yeah o.k. despite some serious criticism I'll leave it to the discretion of Adrian.
cheers, Mark.
+1 to post your track Mark. What would this CD project be without our Australian hero :bluewink:?

Here's my Grinch like contribution to the Christmas project:

Linus and Lucy

... sigh .. there's always next year !! :mrgreen:
I liked that Bredan, funny tune and your sound gets better all the time :).

#183 ·

Hi All,

I seem to be having same issues as a lot of you with time, been tied up with work so still to get anything practiced let alone recorded.

Im going to try and produce my christmas track Thursday so it will be a couple of run throughs and then commit to tape no time for retakes etc.

Anybody that has a finished track they are happy to go on the CD project please send me an IM (I know some have already posted there links, but it makes it easier if you send it to me directly so I don't miss anybody) with the track link in and I will get it uploaded to the soundclick site and packaged up - really must have the deadline as 3rd December as after this time I will be tied up videoing and producing DVD of local nativity plays and school productions and will be on tight deadlines to meet end of school terms etc.

Please remember this is a fun project so its better to have a track on even if its not "perfect" in your mind as we are our own worst critics.

Saturday 4th December I will be putting the CD track list together, volume balancing and packaging. If I don't have enough to fill the CD I will just upload to soundclick.

So its the final push, the final countdown your final chance to share your holiday spirit.

Of the take of heard so far I think we should have some good submissions.

Im happy to take one or more tracks from you, so don't feel shy.

#184 ·

I'm waiting on a short track from a collaborator, and feeling I need to take one more run at it... about 99% there, but funeral home last night, funeral today and everybody in the house seems to have come down with a cold... ugh. And I'm in the same boat, working on a holiday video, won't be produced for this season but I have to get it all shot, and the weather needs to cooperate. ;-)

#186 ·

I finally got my recording setup to where I could knock-off another take of my xmas tune. Some of you said you liked my sound on last years Run Rudolph so I dusted off the PPT mouthpiece I used on that one and did this second take with it. I still want to do another version because I was so concerned about getting the sound right that I didn't put any effort into the small solo section and it shows. Reminder -here is the first take I recorded/posted a couple weeks ago that I REALLY didn't like the sound of: If Every Day and here is the second take recorded today: Like Christmas ..which do you guys prefer, the mellow or the crisp? Something in between?

Eldavo - I really liked that take! Great stuff! Loved the improv, sweet! The only thing I would change is when you come in and accompany yourself you drown out your lead, if you lower the volume on that second horn it would be fine. Funny thing is after the solo the second horn is the perfect volume. Match that before the solo and your golden.

#187 ·

Alan - crisp please !
Dave - I always like your horn sections !
Mike - nice tune .. a midi big band !

(Lame comments, but I'm sick with the flu .. :cry: )

#188 ·

Hi Friends,

I've never posted any recordings on SOTW, but it is my first semester student ensemble performance this Friday (12/2). Yes I am 34, but I have only been playing since age 28 and am lucky enough to have a wife that let me go back to college for music studies. Before this semester, I had about a year of private lessons scattered over those 5 years. Anyway, I am still not posting anything, but my performance is being streamed live through the University of Maine at Augusta website. My group will go on at roughly 8:00 pm Eastern Time (maybe off 10 minutes either way depending on the group before us), and will play for about an hour. Fun (and really hard) fusion music from Michael Brecker/ Brecker Brothers, Weather Report, Steps Ahead, Bob Berg, Chris Potter, Mike Stern and Chick Corea!

Just inviting anyone who has time to listen in and give the same honest feedback that anyone would expect from the gang here at SOTW. I am playing tenor on all the tunes but one where I get to rock out on congas. The other sax player is my instructor David Wells (user dctwells), but he is only playing on about half of the tunes. I am very lucky to be playing with this great group in my first year! I spent a lot of time getting these songs together, as they are really pushing my technique. Here is the link, just click "watch the webcast!" in the bottom center of the page:

http://www.uma.edu/

Maybe for post #1000 I will get up enough courage to record and post something in this thread...

#213 ·

Here's my Grinch like contribution to the Christmas project:

Linus and Lucy

... sigh .. there's always next year !! :mrgreen:
I love this!!!! Way to step outside the box, seriously that was a lot of fun.

Any chance you could make it to New Brunswick for a gig next Sunday?

#195 ·

Okay gang, my collaborator has been called away on business, so I gotta go with what I've got. This may or may not be the final mix.

Rock and Roll Christmas

hope you enjoy.
Really enjoyed that Bill! Very upbeat xmas tune, we needed that! Not that you singing was ever bad but I think it has improved greatly (less stiff more fluid) job well done! (even if it's not done)

#212 ·

Hi guys some interesting tunes as we get nearer to Xmas, this is my attempt at Body and Soul http://www.box.com/s/83lexast3cneglou3bml It's just a couple of choruses, mel first time then a little improv and melody towards the end.

Tom
Nicely done Tom. On the head you could work some more on phrasing, maybe listen to some different versions of the tune to get an idea of how it's been done in the past. The bridge needs a few more run-throughs to get more comfortable with the same focus on phrasing. I actually love playing the bridge on this tune since it is such a dramatic switch from the A section, just keep running through it and it will get under your fingers. The improv sounded a bit tentative but it was a good effort, as you know I don't have enough knowledge to provide any criticism beyond that.

I hope that doesn't sound too critical since I really thought it was a good effort overall, just wanting to provide some constructive critiques.

#196 ·

Yeah ! That was great Bill ! I thought the guitar break (about 2/3 through the tune) was a bit low in the mix.

Tom - that was nice and easy to listen to. Your timing is getting better. :)

#198 ·

Thanks guys....Just re-mixed Rock and Roll Christmas based on some feedback give it another listen, hopefully all the instruments have their own space.

Rock and Roll Christmas remix

Alan, that's funny, I didn't think the vocal take as that great...but at the moment with the cold it's much worse so this is it...;-)

Hope I did George and Hank proud....just call me Hurricane..lol

Oh and I have to give props to my collaborator Mike Wich from NYC... he did all the other tracks (except the drums) on Sunday afternoon... then later re-did the drums. He rocks!!

#208 ·

Thanks guys....Just re-mixed Rock and Roll Christmas based on some feedback give it another listen, hopefully all the instruments have their own space.

Rock and Roll Christmas remix

Alan, that's funny, I didn't think the vocal take as that great...but at the moment with the cold it's much worse so this is it...;-)

Hope I did George and Hank proud....just call me Hurricane..lol

Oh and I have to give props to my collaborator Mike Wich from NYC... he did all the other tracks (except the drums) on Sunday afternoon... then later re-did the drums. He rocks!!
That was a hell of a lot of fun!! I feel like I'm at a "Happy Days" sock hop, excellent retro rock take. The sax and singing was spot on and your collaborator is top notch!

I just thought of something else that take made me think of. Just imagine the Ramones if they weren't stoned.

I'm going to try to catch up on some more of the posts here later, apologies to those that I haven't gotten to.

#204 ·

I did another and final take of my tune tonight: If Every Day Was Like Christmas

Went back to the metal Berg with a new reed and I think I hit that happy medium (soundwise) between the other two takes. I am not all that unhappy with my small solo section either so she's a keeper and SOTW Xmas CD bound.
sounds Great man! fat tone, me like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.