Sax on the Web Forum banner

From Kush - My Sax's Photos

8K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  nagukush 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Friends,

I hope everything is well !

I just found this Photo on Google Images - Its the exact Saxophone which I've got - Just thought I'll show this here and ask for comments... I know the image is not detailed and one cant really tell anything much by just having a look at it... but I thought while I'm arranging to take photos of my Saxophone, I'll just post these here.

I will upload the actual photos of MY sax here, as soon as I manage to take the pics...

I request you to kindly have a look and let me know what you think...
Take care and Have a Great day ! :)
Thanks and Regards
Kush

#3 ·
Friends, another thing which I wanted to was -

I've read that there are usually 4 Keys on the Top (for the left hand fingers) of which we skip one key (which is for the alternate fingering - kindly excuse me if I'm wrong about this...) but I find that my Sax has only 3 Keys (marked with Red colored buttons) for the left hand - I think its visible on the pics attached...

Anyways, is this ok and normal ? Will I still be able to play all the possible notes on this ?

Another thing which I find unusual is the placement of the keys which are to be operated by the Pinky finger. I feel that its way too back and I have to take my fingres off from other keys to even touch these 'Pinky-Keys' (Spatula keys, if I'm not wrong ?)

Kindly advice friends... meanwhile I'm trying to take ad upload the pics here...

#4 ·
Kush, it would be nice to see a photo of you holding your sax, too. ;)

#6 ·
I believe I saw one of these hanging in a restaurant about a week ago. The key touches were green instead of red though. The one I saw had the same keywork and layout. If I am correct, it only goes down to low B. Who manufactures this horn?

#8 ·
I'm really not sure of the brand or which company manufactures them... There nothing written or engraved on it... It didnt even come with Packing or case. It was just wrapped in an old news-paper....

I guess the manufacturer doesnt have a name - but I'm not sure... I even asked the store guy but even he didnt have an idea...

#9 ·
I guess even I'd love to see myself holding the sax...lol... I hope I dont look too funny ;) :)

#12 ·
Hi Sir,

That would be great too, but unfortunately the Logitech Webcam that I used, to record all my Guitar videos is not working now - actually ever since it got out of order, I couldnt record even a single video of my playing...

I tried getting it repaired but we dont have a Logitech Service center here and it had to be sent to some other City for repairs... I gave the Webcam to the dealer himself for half price...

I was even planning to buy another one, but I guess that will not be possible for some time now, as my first priority now is to save enough for a good Working Saxophone...

Anyways, thanks again for caring - Once I'm able to get my Saxophone, I'll soon start saving for good Cam for recording myself, as I firmly believe that its very important to record oneself and its even better if its a video..

Anyways, thanks again for caring...

#13 ·
Friends, just wanted to update - I'm back from the Temple and I've asked my wife to take a few pics of me holding the sax... I guess I'll be able to post a few pics within an hour :)

#14 · (Edited)
Hi Friends !

Finally, I managed to convinced my wife to take a few photos (on condition that I would let her hold the Sax and take a pic of her too...lol...I'll have to post that too !)

Anyways, I'm uploading a few photos - Kindly have a look :)

#15 · (Edited)
The next set of photos- :)

(The 4th one is my wife holding the sax...lol...) Though dont look any better holding it...

The Sax didnt come with a case so I took a old Toy Keyboard bag to store the Sax... It didnt come with Strap either, so I just made myself one using shoe laces and Bag-Straps :)

I hope you liked the Pics...

#17 ·
It looks like your saxophone only goes down to low B natural - most saxes go down to low B flat (Bb).

In the 3rd picture of post 15 (where you are playing the sax, but without a neck strap), it looks like you are not gripping the sax in the way that most people do. I think you want to keep the palms of your hands farther away from the body tube of the sax. This will work better if you are using a neck strap, since then your fingers will not have to carry the full weight of the sax.

Once you make this change, you will find your fingers will probably be a bit straighter, it will be a bit easier to make fingering changes, and it will be easier to reach the pinky keys on both hands.

#18 ·
Hello Sir,

I hope everything is well and great !

Thanks so much for caring and for kindly trying to help me... Actually I was not playing while taking that pic - I just held it for the photograph :)

Anyways, thank you so much for the kind advice and for guiding me - I'll surely take your advice seriously and will implement it in my practicing :)

Thanks a lot again for caring :)
Have a beautiful day !
Kush

#20 ·
Hi there Friend !

I hope everything is well and great !

I would really love to learn from a Teacher - Unfortunately there are'nt any here (Not even in my town nor in any nearby towns) - there is'nt even a Music Store here ! Even to get a smallest of accessory (like Guitar strings), I have to travel for about 4 hours !

This is the reason, I'm struggling so much to get a good playable Sax here - Even Getting a new instrument is so difficult and there is NO way I can get a used insturment here...

Anyways, I had the same problem when I was learning the Fingerstyle Guitar and I believe I managed to learn it well (IMHO) :)

Thanks anyways for caring !
Have a Beautiful day !
Warmest Regards and Care
Kush

#21 ·
I hate to discourage you Kush, especially as you're so enthusiastic, but I have to tell you that what you have is not a real saxophone - it's what we often call an SSO or saxophone-shaped-object (and that's when we're being polite!). These are very poorly made copies of Adolphe Sax's original instrument, hence the old-fashioned design and fewer keys. The pads are very soft and faced with thick red plastic 'leather' and I'd be surprised if they sealed at all well, so if you manage to play any notes at all you're doing a good job!

By all means continue practising to get the feel of the instrument, but don't expect to achieve anything until you get your real sax.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and good luck to you.

#22 ·
Hi there !

I hope all is well ! :)

No problems Sir, Thanks for caring and for the honest advice... Actually the statement "so if you manage to play any notes at all you're doing a good job!" has only encouraged me more and has motivated me to continue further - Thanks again for the honest somments and for caring :)

I guess only true friends care enough and give honest advice regarding the true state of situation - I really appreciate that I'm truly thankful to you...

I guess I'll do that and continue and practice whatever is possible for now... Atleast I have something to work with, where it could have been worse (that is If I did'nt have even this instrument - considering that this was the only one piece available here...) Like one of the Quotes in my signature says " I cried that I had no shoes, untill I saw a man who had no feet...", I'm sure there may be people with greater talents and abilities, who really want to play and enjoy music, but may not be able to do so because of financial or physical body situations...

Anyways, as they say something is always better than nothing... Sorry if I sound over confident or artificial here...

Thanks a lot for guiding me Friend - thanks for truly caring :)
Have a Beautiful day !
Kush

#25 ·
Thanks for the Kind words, Friends :) Thanks for your love and blessings...:)

#27 ·
Nagukush,
as Stitch told you your horn is , unfortunately, generally not considered to be a playable instrument but just a decoration one , they are generally branded Bessons and they are so famous they are even on wikipedia

Counterfeit 'Bessons' instruments
A flood of very poor quality Indian-made instruments bearing the name Bessons entered the market in the late 1990s. They are completely unrelated to the Besson instruments manufactured by the company with that name. Many sales are made on online auctions. With cursory examination, any serious brass player would be able to recognise that these instruments are wholly inferior to real Besson instruments, and also of much poorer quality than even the cheapest of student instruments produced by large reputable manufacturers.
The fake instruments, particularly pocket trumpets, cornets, euphoniums, bugles and Bb trumpets, are likely to feature a 'serial number' of H.75983 (or 84059) embossed on the top of the bell and valve keys are often hexagonal in plan view. Similar counterfeit instruments, potentially made at the same factories, have been falsely branded with other reputable manufacturers' names, such as Getzen and Boosey. These instruments are best described as novelty items since they are shoddily built from very thin metal, joints are soft-soldered rather than brazed, and they are often unplayable (due to faults in the manufacturing) and untunable (the tuning slides are simply ornamentation - they do not work).

please don't loose enthusiasm but loose this saxophone, I really hope that you can find something at least playable to get you through the first learning stages........maybe some of us can help......

#33 ·
...and untunable (the tuning slides are simply ornamentation - they do not work).
Friends, just wanted to know on what are the Tuning Slides and where are they located on the Saxophone. Kindly advice.

Thanks again, for all the kindness and for caring so much... I really dont know what to say or how to react - but I'm sincerely saving money and I guess I'll be able to save enough in a few coming months...

Anyways, thanks again for caring... Your blessings, love and the kind words you've said about me are more than the most precious of donations or gifts - honestly no butterings intended...

Also, if I may say this here - I was just thinking yesterday that if we all can join and decide to donate just 1 USD each, to some reputed and honest Charity Organization (in any country for that matter - we all are brothers IMHO) may be it can make a considerable difference in somebodys life (may be somebody who needs it more desperately and might have dreams just like us... may be it will help somebody fight a dangerous disease or health condition thats threatening his life... may be it can just help somebody live a little longer and see this beautiful world for some more time... may be it can bring a little smile on some childs face who has had no reason to smile all his life...)

May be SOTW can start a little donation center for this and we all can contribute whatever little possible and after the Moderators and seniors feel that we've managed to save enough, they can select a Reputable Charity Organization and donate the money to them - just as a small gift from the Wonderful SOTW Family !

I personally do not know any such good organization, but I'm sure that there must be a good organization somewhere... There are sure many people around the World who are struggling for even the most basic necesseties to survive... may be we can manage to help atleast one such person in the world, to make whatever little difference in the World thats in our power...

As God says in the movie 'Evan Almighty' -

How do we change the World ? Just one Act of Random Kindness :)

Anyways sorry if I've said something wrong or something that I should'nt have said... It just occured to me and I guess I have the right to talk it over to my Family... Kindly excuse me and forgive me if I've said something offending or something like that... I really didnt intend any wrong and I'm also not a very great or experienced (that is in life) person to talk about all this...

Just thought that I'd say and leave it to the Moderators and seniors to decide... Even if it is not possible now, maybe SOTW can think about it and implement it in the coming years, whenever the opportunity to do such a thing shows...

Thanks again friends... and sorry for typing so much..lol (I guess the seniors here are gonna be real mad at me for not practicing the Sax and for spending so much time at the forums... I guess I should be going and practicing those Long Tones ! Got to improve my Embouchure and Breathing :)

Have a Wonderful day !
Kush

#36 ·
Oh ok then... I was searching for it on my Sax...lol..:)

#39 ·
...lol... :)

Thanks for the smile, Friend :)
Have a Wonderful day !
Kush

#41 ·
Hi there Friend !

I hope all is well !

Thanks for caring :)

Just wanted to say that I'm already saving money for the Saxophone and I'm also being helped by a few kind people... I just hope everything works out well and soon...

I'm just waiting for the day, when I'll learn my First Scale, my First song and post my recordings here... wow its like a wonderful dream and I'm sure it will come true sooner or later...

I just pity you guys, because then You'll have to listen to all my recordings and comment on them...lol...just kidding - I really hope to play well and I'm a little confident that I will be able to get some appreciations and make you guys proud....

Thanks again for caring :)
Have a Wonderful day !
Regards and Care
Kush

#42 ·
Kush, I realize that this may seem out of the blue, but in reading the posts that you've posted lately here on SOTW, I think that you have one of the most beautiful and refreshing outlooks on life that I've ever seen. I enjoy reading about your venture into the world of playing, as I'm just now a beginner on saxophone as well. I'm blessed enough that a friend was able to lend me a tenor saxophone in order to learn on and give me pointers and advice, even when I constantly ask questions. I just wanted to take the time and wish you the best of luck in your journey both in music and in life, and can only hope for the same for myself.

-Bryan

#45 ·
Hi Friend !

I hope all is great there !

Thank you so much for the kind words - Its really your kindness, that you feel this way about me - Thanks again Friend :)

Wow, thats really great ! I'm so happy for you that you have a good working Sax and more importantly a person to guide & teach you - thats truly a blessing (IMHO) and I'm really-really happy for you, Friend :)

Thanks so much for taking the time and for caring, to say the affectionate words - It really matters a lot - Thanks for making me smile and for making me feel cared-for :)

I request you to Kindly accept my wishes too, I'm SURE you'll do great, both in Life and in Music, infact I'm sure that we both (and all our brothers here, who are just beginning on the Sax) will make great music someday and make SOTW proud ! :)

All the best Friend, Thanks again for caring :)
Have a wonderful day and keep smiling :)
Lots of Regards abd Love
Kush

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.