Sax on the Web Forum banner

Songs you're sick of

8K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  Bub99 
#1 ·
There's certain songs in the music community which are played to DEATH!
For guitarists it's Stairway to Heaven and Smoke on the Water.

So what songs are you SICK of hearing people play?

Mine are obvious:
Smoke on the Water
Stairway to Heaven
Pink Panther

Love and respect the songs, but can't we have something else in between? LOL

#2 ·
b-girl, this is similar to the "most hated song request" thread
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=55892
but still worthy of its own discussion, for those who are not in a position to take requests. :) But one can mine that other thread for suggestions of songs that make you ill.

#3 ·
Smoke on the Stairway to Freebird.

Skiyyyyynerrrrrrd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
does anyone still play Smoke on the Water!! Mine- Mustang Sally and Midnight Hour, pity- as the original versions are superb but who needs another ropey wedding band version? Another one- again, great tune but well over used at jam sessions, Watermelon Man....
By thew way- the proper Henry Mancini arrangement of the Pink Panther Theme is brilliant

#19 ·
Agreed. But it's only been four days since I last played it. I think it's the anthem of the "greatest generation." It gets tiring, but they do really love it, and they deserve to hear it.

#14 ·
- Poon-tang Sally
- Stupid-stition
- Roadwhore Blues
- Play That F***in' Music White Boy
- ****ing the Dog
- Hey Joe (sorry, no parody for the Hendrix even if I hate the tune!)
- Money for Bumming
- Lump
- Faker Street
- The Stink Panther
- Enter Blandman
- Gassical Gas
- Behind Stu Rides
- Sackball Wizard
- Another Dick In The Hole
- Another Dick In The Hole - Part II
- Dark Bride of the Groom
- Wish You Were Beer

etc etc etc...

(from the other thread...)

#17 ·
At the music store I go to, everyone at the piano just has to play Für Elise.
I wouldn't mind it so much if they could go past the first A section...

and hardly anyone plays the rest...

#22 ·
I am sick of anything that was ever associated with Jim Morrison the moment I first hear it.

Unfortunately, the feeling never gets better with each additional soul sucking second that they are repeated in any context.

I wish he had lived long and burned out and exposed for the fake that he was.

This is one of the often unspoken reasons why drugs don't just hurt the user.

#23 ·
I am sick of anything that was ever associated with Jim Morrison the moment I first hear it.

Unfortunately, the feeling never gets better with each additional soul sucking second that they are repeated in any context.

I wish he had lived long and burned out and exposed for the fake that he was.

This is one of the often unspoken reasons why drugs don't just hurt the user.
I gotta agree with this one. I thought the other fellows in the band were way cool. But bad poetry and an iffy voice....

#37 ·
They have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Isn't his site nice with the freebie music.:) (Check out his sax work too)

#29 ·
- Anything by The Pretenders, especially Brass in Pocket
- Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum - that one's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Come to think of it, so is Brass in Pocket.
- Lately, Hey Jude is getting on my nerves, especially the "end" of the song that seems to go on and on and on and on... (you know what I'm talkin' about... nnnnaaaaahhhh..nnnaaaahh..nnaahh..nah-nah-nah-nah...........nah-nah-nah-nah..........heyyyy Jude...)

I'll take Smoke on the Stairway to Freebird (or whatever it was!) over any of these!

#36 ·
You don't like the song even a bit? I think the lyrics were beautiful and bought people together, in a way. Okay, it can be a bit simple and daggy, but the sentiment is beautiful.

Imagine if there WAS no countries. We wouldn't be at war now.
Imagine if there were no posessions. We wouldn't have world hunger.

The simple message of it, if we followed it more carefully, would make the world a better place.

#38 ·
I hate "Brown-Eyed-Girl". I mentioned this once to a leader who wouldn't be offended. His reply was that he hates it too, but ALL of the best looking women in the room get up to dance to that song, ergo, he likes it :)

#42 ·
I spent too much time last weekend with a music store owner that honks out "Tequila" way too frequently. Now I am totally sick of that song. To him, the sax is only a rock and roll instrument that needs to be played loud and in your face. Nice for about two minutes then you want to hide his mouthpiece when he's not looking. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.