What Overtones Come Next?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  thejoyofsax 
#1 ·
Hi, What Overtones are next?
I can already hit these:

When holding low Bflat: I get middle B flat, F natural, and high bflat
When HOlding B: Middle B, F#, High B
etc.
I can do this up to C#. Once I get to D, I can only go up to the The 2nd overtone (A i think?).

I have heard ppl hit overtones even higher?

What Overtones come next? I've mastered these and can pretty much do them without problem.
--------------------------------------
I have an altissimo range of only up to a C (D if im lucky) and I wanna increase it.:twisted::twisted:

#2 ·
http://www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-harmonics.html
You can go even higher than that on an overtone fingering. No offense but if you can only get to the third overtone but you are doing altissimo really high, then you are probably doing altissimo/overtones wrong. At least that's what I have experienced. You should be able to match your overtone range with your altissimo range. As in you should be able to go as high in overtones as in altissimo.

#3 ·
As long as you're using a consistent embouchure, I don't really see how you can do overtones or altissimo incorrectly. If you successfully play an overtone or play an altissimo note, there is not much you're doing wrong, especially if you can get to the third overtone on each of your table key notes (or play up to your C4 with the notes in tune, responsive, and with good tone). Just don't create too much tension or bite the reed or anything nuts like that.

These techniques take time to develop. Overtones and altissimo may not necessarily go hand in hand, even though they employ the same general principle. Someone may be able to play a consistent A3, but may only get to the third partial in the harmonic series in their overtone study. Keep in mind that altissimo is chromatic and uses common sets of specific fingerings to aid in note production.

Now that you have partials 1, 2, and three figured out, shoot for 7 total and make them very consistent. You're probably receiving private instruction on this -- if not I suggest getting a teacher. With the right help and some patience it'll all come. You sound on track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.