Sax on the Web Forum banner

Keilwerth Mouthpiece recommendations?

21K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  BBMozee 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Keilwerth SX90R in black nickel and gold.
I really likey the depth of tone on it. I am trying different MP reed combos.
Looking for input on what has worked for others.

I have tried Ottolink Metal NY 6*, too ballad mellow and stuffy up top.
Dukoff D8. Nice up top but too much effort at low C and down. Lost too much tone depth.

The stock plastic piece that came with has a pretty large baffle in it. Its not bad but looking for something with a bit more edge w/o tossing out the husky capabilities of the horn.

The otto NY and dukoff 8 are both ends of an extreme.

Anybody have luck with setups in the middle? Otto link STM, Jody Jazz HR,
Jody Jazz DV NY, etc ????

Thanks - Ken

#2 ·
Check out this thread, where more experienced players than me say to avoid large chambered pieces. My experience is just the opposite on the Keilwerth Shadow, which I believe is similar to your SX90R. In fact, the biggest difference I saw was before and after taking the horn to a really good tech to make sure it was properly set up. Even after that, I've had best results with more or less large chambered pieces: An STM, an Uptown NF, a Morgan 8EL, a Springer Rollover, and the AMMA. Theses pieces have different amounts of baffle, but all have reasonably large chambers.

All of this leaves me wondering how important the mouthpiece is, but I wouldn't skip the tech check-up if your horn has not yet had one.

#3 ·
Yeah, large chambered pieces like Links are harder for me to play in tune well on the Keilwerth. Pieces like Bergs works best for me. Others have said they have no problems with them, though, so YMMV. Try all the ones you can and see what works for you.

#8 ·
Doesn't matter because "on a Keilwerth, there's no better mouthpiece than a Lawton". :D

Ken - can we assume from your description of what you want that you are playing primarily MOR jazz?

I had great luck with a Ponzol M1. I found it to be very versatile. Although it's a high baffle mpc, it is not thin or shrill, especially in the upper register where that is evident on some high baffle mpcs. I played it in pop cover bands, jazz combos, both MOR and more aggressive, and in big bands.

I would just about bet that the new stainless steel Ponzol M2 would be an excellent choice. It has the modernity of the older M2 but has a bit more depth to the tone, which also allows it to be played more moderately. I love the "spread" sound of the JKs but I think the Ponzol M1 (older) or SS M2 (newer) would focus the sound just to the right degree without losing that characteristic broad presence JKs have.

#7 ·
in my experience all bergs (metal and HR) have worked well, have played in tune and sounded great, on keilwerths,
I have a friend who uses a medium tipped Link (just a 5 or 6 i think) on an old keilwerth/couf stencil which sounds incredible and is very in tune.
just a matter of trial and error really, Keilwerths do vary a lot, seemingly more than other brands? so one mouthpiece may work great on one keilwerth and not so good on another, it depends on what works well on yours...

#10 ·
I used a C** soloist w/ real nice results on my Black nickel SX-90 Keilwerth. I now use a Brancher L25(large chamber .100) w/ great results. My daughter uses a C* soloist on her lacquer Keilwerth SX-90. The soloist mouthpiece helps center the tone and adds some nice harmonics to the dark tone color of the Keilwerth sax.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the input so far it helped a great deal with my research and thinking. I am leaning to a mid range $$ piece to hopefully have a better chance of product quality. I like the bergs but felt I would have to have a bunch sent to get the correct one as I heard they vary. It looks like the Ponzol M2 has a very similar baffle to a piece I already have so it might not be much brighter. I was looking at the V16 as an option as I heard they are versitle and then came upon Brancher B27 which I am having sent from saxforte. I'll post my impression once I have spent some time with it. Thanks .....Ken

#15 ·
I played a Ponzol m2 on my Keilwerth and loved it. I use an m2 plus on my 10m and its an amazing combo.

#16 ·
I got my Brancher B27 and it fits the tone modification I was looking for on my Keilwerth Tenor.

Brighter than the stock plastic piece but still enough diffusion/character in the tone. The quality of the surfaces, plating and lig are all very nice. It is still early on but it looks like a good general purpose piece. The baffle design looks similar to some 50-60's bergs.

Ken

#21 ·
I have had excellent results with large chambered mouthpieces on my JK. My regulars are a Jody Jazz HR* and a HR Link reworked by Mr. Phil-Tone. Vandoren V16 seems to work very well also. I am trying to make a Guardala Crescent fit into the line up. So far I'm not sure where it stands.

#24 ·
On my Shadow alto, I began with a metal Meyer 6. Worked well, nice vintage jazz sound, but not enough edge for me. Then I switched to the Vandoren A35 and I did get more edge, but I struggled a bit with the low notes. I've finally setlled for a Jody Jazz DV and the sound is incredible, especially in the low and middle register, warm and deep, but not too dark. I still struggle a bit with the high notes (Eb3 and upwards), but I'm working hard on my embouchure to overcome this.

#25 ·
Both a large chamber Slant Sig 2 and a Durga 3 by Wanne play great on my Keilwerth MKX. So does a new off the shelf Link Tone Edge. But most high baffle pieces didn’t compliment the darkish JK MKX tone and most large chamber pieces were tubby. The horn needs lots of air and a medium soft reed with an 8 or 9 tip is sumptuous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.