Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone Remember "The Saxophone Shop" on Wilson in Toronto?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Swingtone 
#1 ·
I did a search, but nothing came up....

When I was in high school in the early 80's, I used to take lessons in the basement of a place called "The Saxophone Shop" on Wilson Ave in Toronto. Spent many an hour watching and gabbing with the techs (owners?) there, I believe their names were Rocky and Gino. Great guys, and was always interesting to watch them - they didn't seem to mind.

Anyone remember this shop? It disappeared some time ago, and I always wondered what became of those guys...

Pete

#2 ·
Sax Shop is long gone.

They went into the sound equipment biz as well. Don't know what happened to them after that. I bought my first bass clarinet from them.

I believe it was Frank and Rocky. Gino Nobili is still around.

#3 ·
Yes, that's it - Frank and Rocky. I got mixed up a bit... thanks! My teacher was (if I remember right, it was so long ago) John McLaughlin (not THE John McLaughlin, this would be the OTHER one, a sax-playing guy). Played on an old Selmer Super, and had a room in the basement covered in egg crates to give the room a really "dead" sound.

Pete

#5 ·
No, but I remember the shop with the same name in Skokie, Illinois (Chicago suburb). It may still be in business; haven't been there for a few years unfortunately....

Funny how there was both a "Second City" comedy troupe and a place called the "Saxophone Shop" in both those great cities.... Actually I always preferred the Toronto Second City Alums (Candy, Levi, Moranis, Thomas, O'Hara, Flaherty, etc.) over the Chicago "school" (Murray, Belushi, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.