P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Who are the Gurus of Sax Repair?

Default Re: Who are the Gurus of Sax Repair?

Such a nice guy lol.

Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008 saxmanglen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountSpatula View Post
    Such a nice guy lol.

He's much nicer when he's medicated.

BOT, I've used Tim Glesmann in the past and have had very nice results.

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

http://www.facebook.com/UnfilteredJazz

http://www.youtube.com/user/saxmanglen

Can anyone recomend a tech in NE Florida? Just moved from Boston area and don't know anyone. Appreciate the help!!

Forum Contributor 2011 tenor71363's Avatar

Gerry Evoniuk of Desert Winds in Tempe, AZ. is an excellent sax tech.

I haven't seen anyone mention Michael Manning here in NYC. He's very popular with the younger players here in town. I don't know if he's a "guru" (I'm not someone who gets excited about the equipment side of the music so I won't claim to be an expert in judging), but he does great work and provides good service on top.

I was a customer of Roberto for a long time and have had my horn over-hauled by both, and to me it was no contest. I much preferred Mike's work, though perhaps it was because I was older by this time and had more input to give pre-overhaul. He also makes great custom sax cases and accessories. Here is his web-site.

http://www.manningcustom.com/home.php

And no, I'm not an employee

Les Arbuckle does amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by silverselmer View Post
    NOT True.

Brad Wherry is the best tech I've ever had, of the 20+ horns I've had overhauled his are the best.

Travis Ranney is also an amazing tech and worked with Brad at Northwest Winds before it closed. They're the only techs in Washington that I would trust with my horns.
    I agree with you completely, but I was informed that Brad Wherry is no longer "open to the public", so to speak. Am I misinformed? If so, send me his number!

Distinguished SOTW Member alsdiego's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kritavi View Post
    I don't know if Les Arbuckle was a guru or not but he was damned good and always willing to take care of an emergency type situation oer the 8 years or so I went to him. He even lent me a horn when mine was in for an overhaul and I had gigs. I ended up buying that horn from him and still have it 5 years later. Now he is in San Diego and you guys out there have an outstanding new option.
    I recently had Les do some work on my horn, and he is outstanding...... meticulous, knowledgeable, and an interesting guy to boot..... my horn never played better.

Al
    Buffet Dynaction..... Woo Hoo!!

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by lochness88 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from anyone in Australia.

(My tech is Brian Dickson, Sydney Australia)
    Phil Noy is the man, but also Steve Wright (Melb), Steve Giordano (Syd), Tom Sparks (Syd), Ian Gordon (Melb, the best for oboes), Pete Jerabek (Melb).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Otto View Post

He's repaired horns for:

Wayne Shorter
    Mike Brecker
    David Sanborn
    George Coleman,
    Tim Price
    John Purcell
    Tim Berne
    Julius Hemphill
    Vincent Herring
    Sonny Simmons
    Arthur Blythe
    Joseph Jarman
    Don Byron
    Henry Threadgill
    Steve Coleman
    Oliver Lake
    Bobby Watson
    Steve Wilson
    Ellery Eskelin
    Bob Mintzer
    John Zorn
    Greg Osby
    Note - Just for clarity, my following post has nothing to do with the tech mentioned as I only know of his name, and certainly not dissing many of the named technicians whom I know personally and have great respect for.

I find myself giggling after reading this thread as I know many technicians (some known and mentioned on this forum, others not) who have made the same claims about the same players. (Brecker and Getz are two players alone who must have 30 techs who claim this notoriety.) I have done repair work for quite a few major names in the business, but that was due to the fact that they needed a repair while they were travelling through the area, and I was recommended. Brass players as well as woodwind players. A lot of it has to do with location of the shop/tech also and the frequency of major-name players often being in their area on a regular basis. This is never going to happen where I live, and it doesn't bother me a bit.
    -Jerry
    www.empirewinds.com
    Syracuse, NY

I nominate Jerry as a Guru for the Syracuse area. Nice guy to talk to and he will do a super job on your horn. Go Jerry!
    Hans
    ps
    No gurus in the Fredericton Area, But I.m fun to talk to and I'll repair your horn for you until you can make it to your favourite guru.

Guru has two meanings. This thread relates more to the definition "a recognised leader in a field"

I think the origins of guru relate more to the definition "a teacher, guide, advisor or mentor"

I have only had experience of one person already mentioned, but he could be described as a guru as he has taught me a bit about his skill, and through his web site he clearly aims to teach others and spread his knowledge.

What would really interest me in this thread, of the established, skilled and respected sax repairers - who are their gurus?
    Chris

Tenor: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone V7*; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone J6M; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Yanagisawa A-600 (Vito VSP); Otto Link slant sig. (Wolfe Tayne face) 5*; Vandoren Java #3
    Soprano: Buescher TT (1926); Barone V7; Vandoren Java #2.5
    Clarinet: Bb Leblanc Opus; Morgan RM15; Vandoren "56" #3
    Clarinet: Bb Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet E13 1961); Selmer C85/120; Vandoren "56" #3

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Phil Noy is the man, but also Steve Wright (Melb), Steve Giordano (Syd), Tom Sparks (Syd), Ian Gordon (Melb, the best for oboes), Pete Jerabek (Melb).
    Thanks a million, I will look those names up. I did my work experience with Tom Sparks, an absolute legend.

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist

"What would really interest me in this thread, of the established, skilled and respected sax repairers - who are their gurus?"

If that includes me, then I would have to say I am pretty remote here down under, I and could not really say I've made contact with specific person I would call my guru.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon (NZ) View Post
    "What would really interest me in this thread, of the established, skilled and respected sax repairers - who are their gurus?"

If that includes me, then I would have to say I am pretty remote here down under, I and could not really say I've made contact with specific person I would call my guru.
    Don't worry Gordon - Just for your inexhaustible energy to share, help and teach on this and clarinet BB I think you qualify for the guru title yourself!....
    Chris

Tenor: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone V7*; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Couesnon Series II Monopole; Barone J6M; Vandoren Java #3
    Alto: Yanagisawa A-600 (Vito VSP); Otto Link slant sig. (Wolfe Tayne face) 5*; Vandoren Java #3
    Soprano: Buescher TT (1926); Barone V7; Vandoren Java #2.5
    Clarinet: Bb Leblanc Opus; Morgan RM15; Vandoren "56" #3
    Clarinet: Bb Evette & Schaeffer (Buffet E13 1961); Selmer C85/120; Vandoren "56" #3

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by lochness88 View Post
    Thanks a million, I will look those names up. I did my work experience with Tom Sparks, an absolute legend.
    I can give you details for the guys in Melb if you like. Phil and Pete work from their own workshops- not shopfronts.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician hornfixer's Avatar

Les Otto ..... .. Elkhorn Wisconsin
    ** NEW ** Saxophone Instructional DVD How To Tear Down And Polish A Saxophone ** NEW **

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111225817570...84.m1559.l2649

Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician & columnist clarnibass's Avatar

It's sax repairers... so isn't the correct term 'gooroo'

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I can give you details for the guys in Melb if you like. Phil and Pete work from their own workshops- not shopfronts.
    I won't be traveling to Melbourne any time soon, but cheers anyway for the offer. Ive subscribed to this thread and if I ever cross the border I'll be sure to pm you.

Many thanks,

Loch.
    Last edited by lochness88; 11-18-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician hornfixer's Avatar

Mike Sammons...........Corpus Christi, Texas
    ** NEW ** Saxophone Instructional DVD How To Tear Down And Polish A Saxophone ** NEW **

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111225817570...84.m1559.l2649

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast