P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: System 54,Phil Barone saxophones

Default System 54,Phil Barone saxophones

Hi there,I have recently come across the system 54 and Phil Barone saxophones.I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these horns,I´m after an Alto,if possible the same in sound as the 67 rdk Mauriat Alto.¨not the 76¨¨,I understand this might be a sensitive issue because of sales politics but as a buyer I have to ask.
    I already have a 66R Mauriat tenor and I absolutely love this horn.
    Is there a web page where I could listen to any sound clip of these horns,,System 54 web page just has sound clips of the tenor not alto.
    I have also being told the P mauriat saxophones use french brass and that this would make a difference in terms of sound.
    Thanks.

Default Re: System 54,Phil Barone saxophones

I am not sure that listening to someone else play the horn will help. My suggestion is that you find somewhere to trial the horns. I would also suggest that you used a structured approach, eg utilise the same tunes, scales, pivots, riffs, etc. on each horn. I personally start out by slowly playing the chromatic scale and listening for intonation and muffled notes (eg C#, D, and upper G# to A where the octave mechanism changes over, etc.). Then I run the horn through various preplanned exercises. I also use Wtune to log the intonation so that I am not guessing as to how good the intonation really is.

If you are looking at new, why not try a Jupiter 969 alto, an Antigua and a Yani A901? One of these may surprise you very pleasantly. My own personal favourite is a Buescher Big B alto. These can be picked up in near mint condition for around USD 1,600 to 1,700 completely repadded and adjusted.
    David Boyles
    Currently playing Yamaha YSS-62R, Conn F Mezzo, Martin Skyline Handcraft Alto, Lyon & Healy C Melody, Buescher "Big B" tenor, Yani B901 Baritone

Please visit System54 webpage to see the System 54 Superior Class alto in action.
    Played by Tony Kofi.

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sorrel View Post
    Hi there,I have recently come across the system 54 and Phil Barone saxophones.I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these horns,I´m after an Alto,if possible the same in sound as the 67 rdk Mauriat Alto.¨not the 76¨¨,I understand this might be a sensitive issue because of sales politics but as a buyer I have to ask.
    Is there a web page where I could listen to any sound clip of these horns,,System 54 web page just has sound clips of the tenor not alto.
    I have also being told the P mauriat saxophones use french brass and that this would make a difference in terms of sound.
    Thanks.
    Hey

Most of what you have said is purely speculation and/or marketing hype. For example, I doubt there is much difference from the sound of "french brass" to that of other types of brasses. I own a Mauriat 67 RDK alto, and its a phenomenal horn, but I won't say that the type of brass they use, the dark lacquer finish or any of these other things have an effect on sound.

If you want the sound of a Mauriat 67R, buy one of those! In general, its cheaper than a Selmer horn anyhow. The Barone saxes and 54 are said to both have similar sounds, but each will be unique to itself, as is with every horn. Another example is, you can play two P. Mauriat 67R's right next to each other and odds are they will play a little different than each other, as you can do two Mark VI's or anything.

The best way to find a horn is to test one. Are you within the range of a local shop that carries any of these horns, or do you have any saxophone playing friends who live near a shop. Play testing the horn is probably the best way to get the horn you want.

A little bit more information about how close you are to a saxophone shop could help me and many others to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!
    Alto: P. Mauriat 67R w/ Solid Nickel Silver Neck/Drake Custom Ceramic .085/Van. Java 2.5 Reeds and Hahn Synthetic 2.5
    Tenor: CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Alpha Tenor/Jody Jazz ESP .120/RJS 2M Unfiled
    Soprano: CE Winds Silver Plated Alpha Saxello/Yanagisawa 7 HR/ Van Java 2.5 Reeds
    My Playing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=954022
    -Jared

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Consider http://www.viking-instruments.com which are manufactured in the same few factories in Houli, Taiwan as the aforementioned.

B

Pasadena California,Los Angeles ,Encino, Hollywood,Glendale,Arcadia,Beverly Hills,San Marino

Hi Modman from Murray Middleman GeminiSax 6115--MyTenor 85xxxMark VI was stolen 2 weeks ago in L.A..
    I am searching for a horn , and can not afford to buy another mark VI
    I 've been talking to Saxophone .Com Sax player owner -Mr.Garrett Hypes ,in Las Vegas
    He makes a 85%Bronze no lacqure tenor sax . sells it for $1185 , I was told the keys get soft after a while , by another smart sax player dealer. . Garret played this Sax ,over the phone to me and they sounded great ! Anyn ideas about them ? Thw System 54 sound better ,or maybe the players playing thjem are better players than some rank amatuers playing the P. Mauriat's .
    I have not seen the Systwm 54 Tenors, They look and sound as good or better than the P.Mauriats ,
    Murray gvt_mm@sbcglobal.net /// www.murraymiddleman.com

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Email sent. B
    “We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.”
    ~Aristotle

Not that familiar with saxophone.com horns.
    For great horns and an exc. price look into Barone, TK Melody or Maxtone. There are 'alot' of horns out there. Probably best to try something near you

Quote Originally Posted by sorrel View Post
    Thanks.
    Phil has his own section under manufacturers for the Phil Barone Horns. Search SOTW for the many reviews that exist on here. From personal experince i know that Phil would be happy also to call you if you require additional information from the man himself.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I've tried some System 54s and also the Mauriats, they are very good saxophones, but I didn't find a System 54 as good as a P.Mauriat.

My choice given the budget would be for a Bauhaus Walstein M2. I don't have one but I did borrow one for a while.

I agree the 66R tenor is something rather special.