Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Squeak G on my tenor..

Well not really squeaky but I keep getting the (2nd octv) D sound when I try to play G on my tenor. The problem is worse if I use a metal mpc, and I mostly don't have this problem if transiting to G from another note, (F or A for example). Any advice?

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: Squeak G on my tenor..

Have you had the saxophone serviced recently, it may need checking for leaks. You will probably be able to work around the problem by lowering the A key momentarily before the G, or by gripping harder, but neither is ideal. I suggest having the horn looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Have you had the saxophone serviced recently, it may need checking for leaks. You will probably be able to work around the problem by lowering the A key momentarily before the G, or by gripping harder, but neither is ideal. I suggest having the horn looked at.
    Hi Pete! I'm an alto player and I know there's a weird harmonic issue in the G and G# notes of the alto that requires you to stay still and have as little mouth movement as possible. I'm not sure that it is the same on the tenor G and/or G#, but it's that way on alto and I thought I would throw it out there. If i'm wrong please correct me.

Hi, i sometimes get that octave G with some funky wobble sound on tenor , i have to "catch" the note with trust or it will warp totally. Mainly cause I'm a total newbie at sax of course

I had the same problem when i first switched from alto to tenor, and there were a couple things that helped. First was, whenever it would happen i would hold the squeaky note - that is, consciously try to keep it - and then see if i could fix it without moving my fingers. essentially a kind of long tone exercise where you really try to see what is causing the problem. if it's not what Pete Thomas suggested it could be (a leak) then it's just a matter of embouchure/airstream kind of stuff. i don't really know what else to say but fool around with it and really try to pinpoint where it's coming from.

the second thing that helped me (and i hesitate to suggest this) is that i bought a new mouthpiece. the thing is, i didn't buy the piece BECAUSE of this specific problem, but it actually helped a lot. if as you say it's worse on metal, consider playing HR. however, i wouldn't suggest changing mouthpieces unless you have a bunch of issues with whatever metal ones you use. First and foremost, assume the problem is in your mouth.

hope that helps a little.

that is a very common problem on tenor. once you play for a long time you unconsiously compensate for it with your throat, but tenors tend to squeak sometimes when going from any note above high g down to it (especially high d). I had that problem for a while and i round that it was in part due to my mouthpiece. Do the pop test and make sure that it holds for a while, and try different ligature positions. Try a different reed as well. If that doesnt make it better (nothing will solve it but this should help) then I would take your mouthpiece to a refacer and at least have him see if the facing is wrong. I had to get my mpc refaced to stop the problem.

you said it is worse on metal mpcs, is the metal piece you are using by any chance a link because that is what i had and they are notorious for facing problems

Another thing that i found helpful was bending down to the G a bit untill i didnt squeak and then progressivley bending less and less. Keeping the embrochure loose is also good

I just switched to tenor, and have had sort of the opposite of this. When I go over the break for middle D I sometimes get a G instead. At first I suspected a leak, but I think the problem was me not getting the G key down quick enough. If I concentrate on doing that I pretty much eliminate the problem. The G key seems pretty high, I'll probably ask my tech if he can lower it a bit.

I have the same problem with the high G and G# making the warble/bobble noise.
    I can overcome it by loosening my embouchure a bit and blowing a faster air stream.
    The other way is to really opening my throat and concentrating on blowing from my gut.
    But I am still working on eliminating this issue altogether. So I feel you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTenor View Post
    I can overcome it by loosening my embouchure a bit and blowing a faster air stream.
    The other way is to really opening my throat and concentrating on blowing from my gut.

Doing all of the above is a great description of how to play the sax in general.