P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: good reed strength comparison chart

Default good reed strength comparison chart

Can you please recommend a thorough and accurate chart for comparing strengths of saxophone reeds by brand?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

Default Re: good reed strength comparison chart

DoctorSax has snagged this collection from SOTW:
    http://www.doctorsax.biz/reed_comp.htm

It does not answer your question because they differ individually. Personally, I trust the Vandoren chart most, but it only covers their own reeds plus some Rico brands.
    I doubt you can find an accurate chart because as we all know, the reeds in a box differ in strength.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, Wolfe Tayne #5 / MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Guy Hawkins #7 HR, Brilhart brass lig / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

For Rico Reeds, the Rico chart is very accurate. For Vandoren reeds, the Vandoren chart is very accurate. There is one big problem with the Rico chart, however, it forces standard block categorization of equally proportionate intervals when there is a lot of overlap for the average strength among reeds.

This is a very sore topic for me--I think I'll create my own reed chart with my personal reed factory and have SOTW members adjust it accordingly. Together, we can change the status quo reed charts.

Best,

Great idea 007! Something to consider: maybe there ought to be different charts for different size saxes. I have suspected that the strength correlations are different from different manufacturuers for S,A,T,B saxes.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor

And there's always the problem of the damned reeds being so inconsistent the charts are meaningless.
    "Humanity i love you because when you're hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink ..." e.e. cummings

Hope these help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Te quiero mucho Papi. Mandame tu bendición

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That's the first chart I've seen that gets Legere right.
    "Humanity i love you because when you're hard up you pawn your intelligence to buy a drink ..." e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    That's the first chart I've seen that gets Legere right.
    yeah, nice chart.
    I have copied it to excel so I can compare easily between two brands using excel filters

Quote Originally Posted by ftttf007 View Post
    For Rico Reeds, the Rico chart is very accurate. For Vandoren reeds, the Vandoren chart is very accurate. There is one big problem with the Rico chart, however, it forces standard block categorization of equally proportionate intervals when there is a lot of overlap for the average strength among reeds.

This is a very sore topic for me--I think I'll create my own reed chart with my personal reed factory and have SOTW members adjust it accordingly. Together, we can change the status quo reed charts.

Best,
    Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Great idea 007! Something to consider: maybe there ought to be different charts for different size saxes. I have suspected that the strength correlations are different from different manufacturuers for S,A,T,B saxes.
    I agree that this is a great idea. I have my own chart that I have been compiling for a while. I can put it on my website if anybody is interested and people can let me know if there are any changes they would want to make. Let me know if you want to try this out.

I took the liberty of cleaning up the charts and converting them to PDF. (Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes in the conversion!) Enjoy.

reed strength - clarinet.pdf

reed strength - saxophone.pdf
    Selmer Mark VI Sopranino, Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bari. Yamaha Clarinet and Piccolo. Haynes Flute.

Nice job!

The sax one seems pretty accurate, but my beef with the clarinet one is that I don't find V12 3.5's to be any harder than Classique 3's, and it shows them as almost a whole strength harder. The Classiques definitely run harder than the V12's, as far as I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by milnak View Post
    I took the liberty of cleaning up the charts and converting them to PDF. (Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes in the conversion!) Enjoy.

Thanks. Looks great. Can you also attach it as a spreadsheet?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milnak View Post

These charts are very helpful. I will offer one comment, based on my recent playing of LaVoz and Rico Jazz Select reeds on my alto sax:
    I find the RJS 2H to be very slightly harder (on average) than LaVoz Medium. So, I would not put the LaVoz Medium reeds "to the right" of the column for the Rico Jazz Select 2H.

I don't know if the situation with tenor is any different, since I don't play tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by harmonizerNJ View Post
    These cha
    I find the RJS 2H to be very slightly harder (on average) than LaVoz Medium. So, I would not put the LaVoz Medium reeds "to the right" of the column for the Rico Jazz Select 2H.
    It seems the same to me on tenor.

Given that inside a box of reeds you can find high variations, these charts have to be evaluated after playing several reeds from one brand versus several reeds of another brand, in order to make an average that can be close to the reality.
    I suggest that it would be a good theme for a research,, scientifically made, to establish a good and reliable chart. Maybe only for the most known brands.
    I think that evaluating reeds are like wine tasting.

I think the same than Durand, because all the charts are differents and all the reeds inside the box are diffferents too.