P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the SML fans?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Where are all the SML fans?

I noticed that most of the posts in the SML area are older. Even the Holton area gets more action. Maybe it's true that SML owners are so "satisfied" they simply don't need to talk about it. Or have they moved on to Cannonball… or back to Buescher?

Also, people have mentioned an archive of SML threads. I don't see any older than 2003.
    Life is too short for long tones

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Default Re: Where are all the SML fans?

Do a search on member DixeSax. He's disgustingly happy with the recent acquistion and work done on an SML. That thread had others chiming in with their infatuation with their SMLs. Should give you an idea of where they've been hiding.

For me, I'm too busy playing one of my Rev.D SML altos to post much..
    Lisa Parrott (a.k.a. Paz)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DaddyRabbit's Avatar

Here. Here. I'm loving both the alto and tenor. But I'm really new to tenor sax and I'm trying to spend all of my (precious little) practice time on the tenor.
    "Everything that is really great and inspiring
    is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
    -Albert Einstein

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
    I'm loving both the alto and tenor. But I'm really new to tenor sax and I'm trying to spend all of my (precious little) practice time on the tenor.
    I noticed you have a gold plated alto. That thing must be gorgeous!

Thumbs up Re: Where are all the SML fans?

here....

on alto and soprano...

resold my tenor, it was too close to my medusa.
    S SML & PB straight, Soloist by BP A SML rev D, Yani M5, Selmer metal by Brian Powell
    T MKVI, Morgan 6C by Erik Greiffenhagen, Drake ceramic 8, copper neck Ph Barone
    B S20 (For sale), [/SIZE]

Hey guys, just wondering if someone could give me the straight dope on an SML tenor vs. a 10m. Keywork "looks" similar (spatula, at least), are they? The neck angle and spatula placement (not necessarily configuration/type) is the main drag on my 10m. I was hoping maybe the SML neck and spatula cluster might be better positioned/angled.

I used to have a King Marigaux soprano (had to sell it, hope to replace it next year), and it was awesome. The spatula keys were great and I had no problem with them at all.

Thanks,

Mark
    Outer space is a pleasant place
    A place where you can be free
    There's no limit to the things you can do
    Your thought is free and your life is worthwhile
    Space is the place

Sun Ra

Here...

And here is some music :

http://dl.free.fr/jJb9doSJp/02EnLaCimaDelMundo.mp3

Recorded witj my coleman hawkins special, #25**

Smile Re: Where are all the SML fans?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gilmore View Post
    Hey guys, just wondering if someone could give me the straight dope on an SML tenor vs. a 10m. Keywork "looks" similar (spatula, at least), are they? The neck angle and spatula placement (not necessarily configuration/type) is the main drag on my 10m. I was hoping maybe the SML neck and spatula cluster might be better positioned/angled.

I used to have a King Marigaux soprano (had to sell it, hope to replace it next year), and it was awesome. The spatula keys were great and I had no problem with them at all.

Thanks,

Mark
    Hi Mark,

One more SML fan chiming in here, and offering you the straight dope on SMLs v. Conn 10Ms.

Ergonomically, no contest. SMLs (Rev. D and GMI/IIs) come out on top because I find they simply have a better ergonomic design, both in terms of build (SMLs are somewhat more modern, with adjustment screws, etc.) and feel. Conn 10M players usually say that the 10M's ergonomics take some getting used to, and they're right, but the SML's ergonomics are more natural and will require little, if any, adjustment on your part. The key layout is similar to that of a Selmer Balanced Action or King Zephyr/Super 20, and feels quite slick and comfortable. The SML's ergonomics differ from that of a Selmer SBA or MK6 in that that the upper and lower stacks of the SML are more "in-line" instead of "radial" (i.e., the lower stack shifted to the right to facilitate playing to the side). If you like this "in-line" feel, as I do, you'll be quite pleased.

The pinky spatula is also quite comfortable and operates similarly to the Conn 10M, but differs in feel. I find it easier to operate than that of a Conn 10M, and I'm pretty sure many others would agree, but this is also a matter of opinion.

The SML neck design is distinctly different from that of a Conn 10M. The angle is clearly closer to that of a Selmer MK6 in that it presents the mouthpiece at a slightly inclined angle. The Conn 10M, in contrast, presents the mouthpiece at a lower angle, nearly directly perpendicular to the body. Playing the SML will feel quite "modern" or Selmer MK6-like, whereas you will feel the Conn 10M "ride higher" when you play it. It's difficult to explain, but the feel when you play is distinct and clear; compare them, and you will notice it immediately. Again, in terms of which you prefer, the choice is yours.

If you were happy with the King Marigaux soprano, you'll be right at home with an SML tenor or alto.

Now you didn't mention sound, but this is where I feel the SML excels. Of course, sound is where personal taste is the big cheese. Frankly, I find the sound of the Conn 10M great: big, fuzzy, ballsy, fat, and powerful. It's little wonder why many are attracted to it, and why many players are willing to put up with or adapt to its unique ergonomics.

But I would say the same of the SML's sound (and I'm speaking mostly tenor here, but I assume altos, too, by inference): big, fat, fuzzy, and muscular, but perhaps with an additional focus or "tonal core" underneath that is more reminiscent of the French-made horns (e.g. Selmer, Buffet) and perhaps owing to different dimension of the body tube and neck. A kind of tonal evenness and texture across the range of the instrument. This added texture is what I find makes the SML's sound interesting and unique, and is something that I really appreciate. It offers a degree of tonal flexibility that allows me to produce a sound signature all my own.

And that larger bell on the tenor is glorious. One pianist with whom I gigged once said "Man, that think sounds like a baritone sax or something!" ... and we were only playing light dinner music (standards, mostly)! When I asked him if he meant it was loud, he said "No. It's more the depth and warmth of the sound, like a blanket of sound." I couldn't agree more.

Now on the issue of sound, I'm really getting into a very subjective evaluation of things that are truly matters of opinion, so please accept them as such. The other, more objective issues I started off with, however, I think are clearly more objective and, though still a matter of taste, are nevertheless measurable.

I hope this answers your questions ... and perhaps raises a few others!
    "Use what talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent indeed if no birds sang but those that sang best."
    -- Henry Van Dyke

I pretty much agree with what hafuch has said. I don't personally have a 10M but do have a "Naked Lady" 30M. I also have two SML tenors, one Rev. D and one Gold Medal silver plate. There is no comparison in terms of quality, intonation and ergos. The SMLs win hands down. The only downside to my SMLs is that they are both heavier than the Conn. In fact, they are heavier than most tenors. This is probably due to the robustness of construction and perhaps thicker body brass. My 30M sits in the closet. The SMLs get played.
    David Boyles
    Currently playing Yamaha YSS-62R, Conn F Mezzo, Martin Skyline Handcraft Alto, Lyon & Healy C Melody, Buescher "Big B" tenor, Yani B901 Baritone

What can I say? This is the best, most helpful response I've received on any forum. And it may be one of the best I've seen on this forum, for sure.
    You guys are great, I appreciate it. Sound is a major factor, as I love the Conn 10m sound. I'm sold. Now headed to the drawing board with a calculator.
    Space is the place

Sun Ra

+1 for the SMLs. The King-Marigaux is still a sleeper value too - a poor man's (or smart player's) substitute for a Selmer BA.

G'luck on your quest.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Wink Re: Where are all the SML fans?

Thanks Dr G. Any SML fans have an extra tenor they might want to part with?
    Space is the place

Sun Ra

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DixieSax's Avatar

Thanks Dr G. Any SML fans have an extra tenor they might want to part with?
    Sorry, just have one, and it's not going anywhere. I echo everything that has been said above. My SML is hands down the best saxophone I've ever wrapped my grubby little fingers around.

Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Forum Contributor 2014

Any SML fans have an extra tenor they might want to part with?
    I have a gorgeous alto if you're interested.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 DixieSax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    I have a gorgeous alto if you're interested.
    Which rev? Condition? Plating?

(wonder if it's a match for my tenor.. )

No thanks on the alto. Just looking for a tenor. Appreciate the offer though.
    Hmm... wonder if it's time to trade in the Selmer?
    Space is the place

Sun Ra

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by DixieSax View Post
    Which rev? Condition? Plating?

(wonder if it's a match for my tenor.. )
    Oops, just realised this is going way off topic. I'll send you a PM with more info.

Forum Contributor 2013

I saw -88-'s SML in the market place and was really glad to see it finally sold. It took too long and was really starting to create significant gastric distress. Im glad its gone. NO more good horns allowed...OK?

Meyerslansky needs to get that darned 30M off the forum too. Drool is shorting out my keyboard!
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast