Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: SOTW new member introductions Q4 2008

Hello!

My name is Bastiaan, I'm 23 years old and I live in Holland, Europe. I've been playing the saxophone for about fifteen years now, mostly alto, but lately I've been sort of collecting saxophones... Sure you know how addicting that is . Currently filling my room:

- Conn New Wonder I Sopranino from 1926
    - SML Rev. D Soprano from 195x
    - Selmer SA80II Alto from 2003
    - SML Rev. D. Alto from 195x
    - Kohlert 57 Tenor from 1957
    - Kohlert 58 Tenor (stencil) from 1958
    - SML Rev. D Baritone from 196x
    (- Conn Bass Clarinet, about 50 years old)

Hope to learn more about the Kohlerts here, I'll try to repad them myself.

Best regards!
    Bastiaan

Good evening,

I study from Connie Frigo at The University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee and friends of mine have preached the advantages that posting on this forum offers, so I decided to grab a rung and climb aboard! I look forward to reaping all of the great benefits that the knowledgeable members of the forum afford to those who know how to find them...

Cheers,
    Ben

This site still blocks me from posting a thread discussion,,,very frustrating!..Happysax

Hello Everyone!!!!!
    My name is Tim Rivera.On SOTW I am Tim Lunchbox...I was named that after I was claimed to be like Silent bob. Anyways...I am a Music Ed major here at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas. I have been playing Sax for 7 years most of it was on Bari which is my all time favorite!!!!!!!

Thank you for letting me on. I hope to be able to learn alot from being on here.

Yo Tim, man I love that suit. Dang, I gotta get me a Tie like that. That would be a great suit for seminar in a few weeks....

Hey yourself

I too am new here, and I also played Alto/Bari in Jr/Sr High and then put them down for a LONG time (19 years). I bought a sop and played it in a local orchestra. I just bought a tenor and am playing it in a praise band at church. Small world.

Hello SOTW and fellow saxophoners,

My name is Stephanie and I am a high school student. I have been playing alto sax for a little over five years and started really getting into it last summer. I love music and I plan on going to college to study music and make a career with my saxophone.
    I often visit this site to find answers to many of my questions and just figured it was about time I joined. This is definitely my favorite place to find answers.

Stay cool my friends,
    Steph

Hello, I play drums at church. I found this forum when searching for information about piccolos. My daughter plays flute for highschool marching band. She wants a piccolo and a guitar. I am not sure what brand piccolo to buy. I need help because I know nothing about these instruments. I hope and pray someone out there can help.
    Thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Try this link. Good luck.

http://forum.flutes.tk/?page=forum&id=9

Quote Originally Posted by Marchingbandmom View Post
    Hello, I play drums at church. I found this forum when searching for information about piccolos. My daughter plays flute for highschool marching band. She wants a piccolo and a guitar. I am not sure what brand piccolo to buy. I need help because I know nothing about these instruments. I hope and pray someone out there can help.
    Thanks
    How old is your daughter?
    It is my understanding that flute is a very demanding instrument, and a piccolo flute even more so.

If applicable, keep the piccolo as a reward for achieving a major milestone as flautist.

ust I have been playing Bari for 8 years and am a senior
    in high school, I am planning on being a music
    major and love Bari above all other saxes
    I was wondering could someone tell me how
    to create my own post cause I looking for help
    in purchasing a new horn thanks

New guy here!

Played sax in High School. That was 16 years ago! Just bought a Yamaha. So here we go again

samuel123

Hey Guys,

Nice to see all of you here. I'm Samuel and I'm also newbie here.

This forum seems quite interesting and hope, I will enjoy my stay on this forum.

Baltimore, Maryland (pronounced "Balmer Merilan")

Hi,

I'm happy to have found SOTW, and have already gained a lot of new knowledge in the brief time since joining. Here's my brief history. I started out in the early 60's playing clarinet, then moved to alto sax around '64 or '65. I played alto throughout middle school and high school, participating in marching, stage, and jazz bands. After HS graduation, my father bought me a tenor. I had intended on playing tenor in the marching band in college, but they wanted an alto player, so I ended up playing alto in marching, pep, and jazzband in college. After college I had a nearly 20 year lapse due to career demands, but got my horns out of storage and started playing again in 1996. These days, I play a Selmer MkVI tenor and favor blues, jazz, funk, and zappa music. I'm a rank amateur, but love playing and listening to all types of music.

Cheers,

Jazzwombat aka Bob
    Soundclick: Amy's 6 O'clock Jazz (www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1319624)?
    FB: Amy's 6 O'clock Jazz Band (www.facebook.com/Amys6OClockJazzBand?ref=stream)
    Youtube: Dr. Fills Jazz (www.youtube.com/user/DrFillsJazz)

Hi Everybody!

According to my profile, I've been a member since Nov. of 07. So, it's been since then that I've been sitting in thew shadows and just taking everything in. I guess it's time to post and introduce myself.

I played through HS and into college. I discovered that I liked music better as a hobby as opposed to trying to make a career out of it. I tucked my horns away for a few years. About two years ago I started practicing again and playing with a little frequency. Now, I'm thinking of actually looking for venues to play - amature, community based stuff, open mic nights, that sort of thing.

Anyways, I'll probably continue to just read and hang out in a quiet way. But if I do speak up, you'll now have a little knowledge of who I am.

Peace,
    JMC

Hey,

My introduction and background is a bit long winded, forgive me.

I have been a musician all of my life. Both of my parents hold higher education degrees in music education and performance, so I was fortunate to have quality intense training from a very early age. I started piano, saxophone, flute and voice in elementary school, and picked up the clarinet in high school. Now, my main instrument is the saxophone, although I am extremely proficient with all of my other instruments.

I am currently a senior at Lebanon Valley College, in Annville PA. I will be graduating in May 2009 with two degrees, a BA in Jazz Studies, and a BM in Music Recording Technology. After graduation, I will be moving from central Pennsylvania to New Jersey to pursue dual masters degrees in saxophone performance and music education.

Currently, I work as a recording engineer with a company called Traveling Tracks (Traveling Tracks). We specialize in remote concert recordings, although we offer many other services. I also work as a freelance mixing and mastering enginner. Please feel free to contact me, as I am always looking to take on new projects.

My current set up:

Selmer Series II Alto Saxophone, Brushed Laquer
    Selmer C* Hard Rubber Mouthpiece
    Vandoran 3 Reeds
    Meyer 5 Hard Rubber Mouthpiece
    Vandoran Java 3 1/2 Reeds
    Yamaha Custom Tenor Saxophone
    Otto Link RG .108 Metal Mouthpiece
    Vandoran Java 3 1/2 Reeds

Greg

Greetings to all. My name is Phillip and I am a saxophone major at Wichita State University in Wichita KS. In addition to school i do compose a little on the side. The debut performance of my first ever published work "A Folk Song Suite For Saxophone Quartet." is available on youtube [Bhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC9SNkZYLYI[/B] check it out.

My current set up is an L.A. Sax 700 series with a Selmer C-star 80 mouthpiece. I use Vandoren ZZ reeds. I play mostly classical saxophone. I'm looking to find a new mouthpiece and reed brand soon.

Thanks for having me here and I hope to learn and help others learn more about this wonderful instrument.

Hey there, I'm new here. I played tenor back in the day (20 years ago), and I'm looking to start playing again. I found this forum while using google to try to find a decent beginners soprano sax... I figured this would be a good place to look.

Just want to drop my "Hello!" in. I just found this site yesterday and I must say that I'm thoroughly impressed with this forum. I played in Junior High, High School and a little in college, but I let other things get in the way. Now 12 years later, I want to pick it back up again.

BTW, I'm located in Central Arkansas and looking for a good sax technician if anyone knows of one.

Hi,
    I have a Noblet tenor sax that my oldest son played 8 years ago. I want to sell the thing, since it has simply been collecting dust in the closet, but my husband doesn't want me to sell it because one of our younger kids may want to play, later. He says saxaphones are expensive and we shouldn't have to invest in another. I can't really find the info I need on this particular sax to make the best decision. Can someone, anyone, help me?

Thanks,
    goldencorner

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast