Antigua Winds

Default King Zephyr Special Key Guard

The Zephyr Special does not have any key guards for the low C, B, Bb keys. Would that affect the functionality of those low keys because I thought the felts of the low key guards would ensure the key caps are not "spun" away too much even the player presses hard on the keys. The Super 20 model has low key guards which I think is an improvement.

I ask the above question because I have never played a Zephyr Special before and I am considering to buy one.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

Default Re: King Zephyr Special Key Guard

The Zephyr has key guards. They're just not as pronounced as the eyebrows on the Super 20. There's also a different mechanism for the left pinky keys, but that's another topic.

I don't even notice a difference in the action or anything.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

thanks, Martysax. Yes, I should say that Zephyr Special has key guards for the low key notes. But what I want to discuss/seek opinion is that since it does not have the typical eyebrow key guards and the felts so would the low keys be "spun" off too far from the key holes when the player presses hard on the keys and hence the action is affected?

Thanks.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008 martysax's Avatar
    Boston (pronounced: Bahsten), Massachusetts

You can't press the keys so hard that something like that happens, unless there are pieces broken already. The mechanism provides just the right action.
    Just two questions: Where's the Bar located relative to the stage, and does the band get a discount?

Songs I recorded with The Cyclones

Check out my new informative site!

Distinguished SOTW Member BlueTrane2028's Avatar

On modern Selmer type horns, the keys open until they hit a bumper on the keyguard. That is simply not how it works on a Zephyr OR a Super 20. It's been a while since I've studied my Zephyr, but IIRC, there is a foot on a rod somewhere that stops the key from opening further.

That said, a keyguard that actually covers the key will protect the key better in case of accidental bumps, but if you're careful you should never have a problem with the Zephyr's keyguards.
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

Thanks for the explanation indeed! By the way, have you played and compared between Zephyr Special and Super 20? If yes, what's your assessment? Both of the 2 models look cool and some said the 2 models are akin to each other. But there is a considerable price difference though.