Sax on the Web Forum banner

Yanigasawa Copies

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1jakeh 
#1 ·
I had a very interesting conversation with my sax teacher today.

He said that China are producing copies of Yani Baritone's for around 800 pounds ($1500 approx.). My teachers heard that some of the copies produced have a lot left to be desired but some are an absolute bargain at 800 pounds and well worth considering.

I plan to buy a bari around xmas time. After hearing Kurt McGettrick on Frank Zappa's Make a Jazz Noise Here and Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

I want to, and have to, make those sounds.

What are people's opinion on these Chinese bari's? Has anyone tried one?

#5 ·
Or a Yanagisamaha or Yamahagisawa. Or best left blank for anyone to engrave their own name, initials or tag on with a compass or screwdriver.

Someone in Emsworth (Hants.) was selling these baris on eBay fairly recently - I've got a sneaky suspicion who it was.

Here's a Yanagisawa(ish) copy with a 'Yamahmothpis' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Professio...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I do know an alto player over Worthing who calls Yanagisawa 'Yaganagasaki'.

#6 ·
I had a client, something of an old jazzer, who used to say that he'd never buy a horn with a name that sounded like the sort of noise you make when you eat a bad walnut.

If you hang around the Yani stand at trade shows you get to hear the reps *very* pointedly correct the punters' mispronunciation.

Regards,

#7 ·
If you hang around the Yani stand at trade shows you get to hear the reps *very* pointedly correct the punters' mispronunciation.
I've always pronounced the brand as Yaw-Ne-Gaw-Sawa. All of the A's being short. If I'm incorrect in this thinking, I would rather be corrected online than by an actual rep in person. I would imagine that those reps enjoy making this correction as much as we enjoy making corrections to the word "embouchure".

#9 ·
Thanks for the links.

I'm in two minds now. Due to my finances I have two options:

1. Buy a Chinese manufactured sax.

2. Save a bit more and buy a second hand bari from the USA where they are cheaper than in the UK.

I do have reservations about 2. though. I would have to buy a modern 2nd hand bari sax as opposed to a vintage bai, without actually seeing or hearing the sax.

This is why I love the sound of the bari so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.