P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Got A Cough/Cold - How Should I Disinfect My Reed After Playing?

Default Got A Cough/Cold - How Should I Disinfect My Reed After Playing?

I got a cold. I read on some other threads that playing the saxophone while being sick is fine. So I decided to keep playing. But none of the threads I've read talked much about disinfecting a reed after playing. What should I do to it when I'm done playing? Could hand soap and water do the trick? Thanks!

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar

Default Re: Got A Cough/Cold - How Should I Disinfect My Reed After Playing?

I keep some white vinegar in a spray bottle and occasionally spray and rub my reeds with it. I rinse them afterwards with water and let them dry.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaaltoplayer View Post
    I got a cold. I read on some other threads that playing the saxophone while being sick is fine. So I decided to keep playing. But none of the threads I've read talked much about disinfecting a reed after playing. What should I do to it when I'm done playing? Could hand soap and water do the trick? Thanks!
    You should not worry about it. Do as you usually do with cleaning your reed (or not). Don't worry about your mouth. Your nose, on the other hand, is dangerous. The hand-to-nose vector is how you get many colds, and how you can easily give them. That's why washing your hands often, and keeping them off your runny nose, does the most good in preventing colds.
    D.R.
    Martin and Grassi tenor. HR Link Phil-Tone. Grassi jade alto.

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    You should not worry about it. Do as you usually do with cleaning your reed (or not). Don't worry about your mouth. Your nose, on the other hand, is dangerous. The hand-to-nose vector is how you get many colds, and how you can easily give them. That's why washing your hands often, and keeping them off your runny nose, does the most good in preventing colds.
    Oh. The runny nose.

I usually just suck the moisture out of the reed after playing and then it's back into the reed case. I guess I'll just rinse it and maybe use soap too.

Any other opinions?

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Wussies. Just stick the reed back in the reed case and fugedaboudit.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Or, if you don't have a readily available reed case, simply temporarily stick it up your nose and save the germs the travel time and distance.
    Well, it works for drummers.
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...77247214nsQKSv

Welcome back, Gary.

Distinguished SOTW Member belliott's Avatar

Grey Goose

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Exactly.

I never do anything different when I play while sick. I doubt a cold virus could live very long on a reed anyway.
    Soprano: Kessler Custom Deluxe Red Brass, JodyJazz DV 7*
    Alto: Selmer Reference 54, JodyJazz DV 7

Forum Contributor 2012

I'm wondering why you are asking this. You've already got the cold. You can't give it to yourself. Are you planning to share your reed with someone else? This is a bad idea at the best of times, but especially when you're sick.

I NEVER share my reeds. EVER! I guess you should talk to the people in my school. They use school instruments without even cleaning the mouthpiece. They don't even care if a reed has been used before. Lol. I guess being sick doesn't really change my sax playing in any way. Now I gotta get rid of this cold. It usually takes forever for me to get better.

First of all, when the cold is over, the germ isn't gone furthermore you are immune. You can't get sick again from the same germ.

Normally water is enoug. If this is not enough for you use hot water.

Alcohol is also a solution. Personally I like rum. ;-)

Irregularly I give my MPCs and Reeds (synthetics) a "Kukidentkur".
    I don't know if you know Kukident. It's a set of theeth cleaner.
    ( but be careful, last time it attacted the MPCs goldplating)

I NEVER share my reeds. EVER! I guess you should talk to the people in my school. They use school instruments without even cleaning the mouthpiece. They don't even care if a reed has been used before. Lol. I guess being sick doesn't really change my sax playing in any way. Now I gotta get rid of this cold. It usually takes forever for me to get better.
    Yeah, but school people only need to share the instrument, not really the mouthpeice.

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    +1+1+1+1!!!!!!
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ...Selmer 2-screw Lig ... Red Java's #2.5
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ...Selmer 2-screw lig .... Red Java's 2.5
    Sop.... Yamaha 475 .... Morgan Vintage 6...... Rico H lig .... Marca 2.5, RJS 2M

Vodka.

Turtle
    1924 Conn New Wonder Tenor / 1970's Yamaha 61 Tenor / NY STM Link 5* / Vandoren V16 reeds
    Soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy

Vodka would be a really good idea I think! Why not always soak your reed in vodka I stead of water?! Makes it taste much better!

Could hand soap and water do the trick?
    Didn't you ever get your mouth washed out with soap when you were a kid? Blea....

Vodka. If you're worried about the alcohol, dilute it halfway with water.