Sax on the Web Forum banner

general runyon question/concern

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Paul Coats 
#1 ·
I play tenor sax, and on all the runyons i've tried, for some reason the low notes just don't come out very well... on none of my other mouthpieces do i have this problem.

Right now i like the sound of my Runyon 88 for classical, but the lower notes are quite difficult.

any suggestions on what i can do?

#2 ·
The obvious suggestion is not to play runyons but aside from that you could play with reed strengths...a half strength lighter perhaps, Reed drilling can free up the lows on some reed mouthpiece combos, and play with lig position or an alternate lig. I play a runyon and there is no prob with the lows. On the other hand your setup and playing style just may not lend itself to the design. I have learned that no matter what I cant make a current run selmer mpc sound even tollerable (havent tried soloist tho). Keep on trying but dont be too afraid to give up the ship. There are more classical pieces out there.

#6 ·
aarondanger, what reeds do you use? I'm having the problem of my 88 tenor piece sounding a bit too bright/buzzy/jazzy, but I really like the feel of the piece.
Thanks

#8 ·
I would definitely suggest you try other brands and cuts of reeds. The Vandorens are rather heavy, and work better on mouthpieces with long facings, narrow tip openings.

I would suggest for classical with the 88, try the Hemke reeds. For the #5 facing, the Hemke 3 will work well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.