P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: well you needn't, bridge?

Default well you needn't, bridge?

The bridge of this song as written in the Real Book is MUCH different from the way it is written in the Aembersold and Hal Leonard versions, which is how I play it. THe changes are far different, and even the melody. I played the supposedly legit version with a pianist who played the Real Book version, and we clashed terribly - the changes clashed against the melody I played, and if we played the melody notes together they collided. I'm no longer certain when this tune is called how to play it. Anyone else encountered this?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Default Re: well you needn't, bridge?

The bridge starts on bVI7, then it's just up and down chromatically til you're back on V7:

Eb7 | % | E7 | % |
    F7 F#7 | F7 E7 |Eb7 D7 | Db7 D7 |

That Db7 is tricky though. I've never seen it any other way. How do Aebersold an Hal Leonard have it?

However, I don't know anyone that plays the melody the way it's written in the Real Book.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Hgiles - thanks for the reply. The way you have notated the changes on the bridge is the way I play them, but as you noted, not the way they are written in the Real Book. Seems like at jam sessions people are always opening the Real Book and playing whatever is written there. The version you cite, which I play, will not work with the Real Book changes, or even come close. Plus, if you are doubling the melody line with another horn, they do not coincide.

I guess I will have to learn both versions and be alert. I wonder where the Real Book version came from?

Meanwhile, I will be curious to know which version most people here on SOTW play.

Forum Contributor 2011 tenor71363's Avatar

This is what is found in the Monk Fake book published by Hal Leonard

Db/%/D/%
    Eb E/Eb D/Db C/B C

This is different than what they played on different recordings. These chords were used on the one found on Genius of Modern Music Vol 1.
    Monk may have modified it over time.

Yep, that is what I am playing too, but where I live people open the Real Book and play that version. Now I am just curious as to which version most people on SOTW play. I guess it's necessary to get familiar with both.

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Yep, that is what I am playing too, but where I live people open the Real Book and play that version. Now I am just curious as to which version most people on SOTW play. I guess it's necessary to get familiar with both.
    I think the two of you were in different keys.

When someone says REAL BOOK, this is what I think of:

Not this:
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

You have to listen to the Monk recordings. The Real Book is based on Miles Davis' recording which is wrong. Miles wasn't changing it on purpose, he just played the tune from memory and got it wrong. Not just the changes at the channel but the melody is wrong as well.

Forum Contributor 2011 tenor71363's Avatar

The notes for Epistrophy are different as well. Different publications have different notes. Same goes for Blue Monk, etc.........................

Quote Originally Posted by BarrySachs View Post
    You have to listen to the Monk recordings. The Real Book is based on Miles Davis' recording which is wrong. Miles wasn't changing it on purpose, he just played the tune from memory and got it wrong. Not just the changes at the channel but the melody is wrong as well.
    Imagine that: using your ears ??

What. a. ca- raaaazzzzzy. concept !!

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    Imagine that: using your ears ??

What. a. ca- raaaazzzzzy. concept !!
    Nah, it'll never catch on.

I wish players on jam sessions would just play tunes they know instead of reading from the Realbook. And people wonder why jazz is dying (or does it just smell bad?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Nah, it'll never catch on.

I wish players on jam sessions would just play tunes they know instead of reading from the Realbook. And people wonder why jazz is dying (or does it just smell bad?)

I couldn't agree more.

Having a real book on the bandstand looks .. ummm .. lame .

" Play the tunes you know " .

Another crazy idea .

I really think the pianist/guitarist/ 'comper truly bears the responsibility
    of knowing more tunes than anyone, but the 'soloists' really should
    agree on what tunes to play in this setting that are mutually familiar,
    and save the sheet music for the rehearsals.

The bridge starts on Dflat7. They corrected the bridge changes and the whole melody in the six edition (legit one by Hal Leonard) of the Real Book. The other melody and changes sound lame in comparison and is not how Monk did it, that I have heard, maybe Miles did it that way as mentioned. Not to imply that Miles is lame, he may have just changed it or played a version he had heard.