Sax on the Web Forum banner

RIP Jimmy Yan....THE AMAZING JIMMY IS GONE !!!

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lambros 
#1 ·
RIP JIMMY YAN....NyC CLARINET REPAIR ARTIST

I got in yesterday, after a weekend of gigs and travel. Woke up late and started to head off to do the daily biz- when my friend, a NyC woodwind reapair woman called with the devastating news. She found out through a Met Opera clarinetist.
It seems Jimmy passed @ August 16 2008- last month:shock::(

Jimmy was the embodiment of pure intellect, instantly recognizable as a world class clarinet repair artist, mouthpiece maker, barrell maker, bassoon & oboe repair, and an _ASSET_to the art of woodwinds in New York City.

Jimmy Yan was unfathomably profound, a genius among geniuses who enjoyed beautiful music and the culture that summons it. His clients were a world wide who's who of clarinets and woodwinds. The great NY Philarmonic clarinetist Stanley Drucker was a weekly customer of Jimmy Yan. Likewise many of the great players in the Met Opera, NY Phil, Broadway, Greek and Jewish players and people who came in from Brazil or Russia to gig, and set appointments up with Jimmy. I called him the " The Amazing Jimmy" , because he was amazing.

I'm going to stop here, for now, I'm pretty upset, and shook by this. This is not the way to start a week.#$!@!@$:(

IF, anyone has any details or obits they find please do me and others a favor and post in this thread.

They broke the mold when they made this man, we all lost a fantastic person and friend here in Jimmy Yan.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very sorry to hear this Tim, as I know you'd mentioned to me in recent
months that he was battling an illness, and his shop was closed off and on
while he was sick.

I remember you loaning me that clarinet barrell that Jimmy made that was
inscribed 'JY' and was especially made for the older Conns, if memory serves,
as I was dealing with an old Conn clarinet at that time(around 2000)

You always spoke glowingly of this man to me, and I was always envious
that I couldn't get into NYC to have my bass overhauled by him, as he
seemed to be THE BEST OF THE BEST, and supremely talented and in tune
with the clarinet, like your other friend and mentor Kal Opperman.

#3 ·
Im really sad.

A super great guy, I really enjoyed going to his shop & always found him to be knowlegdable, friendly, HUMBLE & always, extremely helpful and patient---and a great sense of humor.

I remember looking at a picture of Woody Allen on his wall & asked him about his clarinet playing. Jimmy rolled his eyes and said something like, "well, he makes funny movies"

Sad to see Jimmy go.

#6 ·
Tim, I dug up this old thread because I wanted to see the nice things you and others wrote about Jimmy after his passing 6 years ago. He was truly amazing and I dread the day I have to completely overhaul my old Buffet he last worked on. I have been so vigilant in keeping it the way he left it. He also taught me a few things along the way since I first got to know him in 1990...I still miss him to this day.

#7 ·
....Lambros....I know, I know. 6 months before he got really sick....I introduced Kristin Bertrand to him. She also was an excellent NYC tech for clarinet- bassoon etc- and sadly they never met. Since then she moved out of NYC and still repairs but went more towards Maryland. Jimmy was one of a kind. Educated, passionate, EXACT, fairly priced and the salt of the earth. I miss him too, he was an asset to this life in so many ways.
He'd say....." Tim your bloody 1 on 1 is out. Big leak." And fix it immediately.

It seems a certain NYC era is becoming a memory. So much is changing- and that personal touch that Jimmy had is a fond memory. He came out with those barrels a long time before so many others. Using different material etc...and his tapers.

He was a unique soul - and a great player too. I hear you Lambros....I hear you.

#8 ·
Tim, everytime I pick up my Buffet, I try to eyeball it the way Jimmy would, do all the pinky exercises for all the possible key combinations, suction test, see if the rings are stationary, adjust pivot screws, etc...he loved my Buffet. When he was with Roberto, he was the only reason I would go to his shop. I still see Perry Ritter when I need to Tim because he is important to me that way too, he too can bring the best out of a really good horn. But Jimmy was a person who had an ecclectic taste in music and understanding of people and things. That is someone I can really relate to beyond the obvious genius he had in understanding the physical matter that makes up an instrument.

#9 ·
Lambros- YES.....2 years ago Selmer laid a Signature " A" clarinet on me. ( It's a long story- but they treat me like family)
SO- When I got it...I almost called Jimmy up to tell him- and say let's get new pads on this and Jimmy-ize it. Well I needn't on that.
I had Kristen do it ( she IS fantastic) and put Tung oil in the barrel like Jimmy used to to stabilize it....and so on. It sounds so dark and
fat, really solid. I wish Jimmy was around to enjoy the joy on this. I used the " A" a lot on my Michiko concerts with Bill Goodwin- and John Gross.
JIMMY....had something deep, because he played so great, and had culture. He_got_it. As you know. Sure think of him ALL the time.
NOW...Perry Ritter. There is one hard working guy. Lenny Pickett told me of all the years he is in NYC -Perry has been his only repairman ever.
My deal there is- Perry opens at 6AM. A convenient thing if you GOT to get to a great repair guy- and always Perry is on the case and gets the work done. He is one of the NYC legends...and a nice guy. I've known him since he worked for Art Pincus at Art-Shell in the 70's. Remember Art Pincus?

BUT JIMMY...for sure and he was born with a big heart that just gave out fast. I remember he used to have a cot...in his 54th st studio- and many times sleep there because of emergency jobs!! That sais it all- he was there for everyone!

Hope to run into you Lambros....thanks for keeping our friends legacy alive.

#10 ·
You're welcome and I really can't add much to what you said Tim because it saddens me too. I'll tell you one thing Mr. Price, you're a helluva good person yourself and I'm sure Jimmy cared a lot about you. As for Art Pincus, I only know him through the story or 2 Perry told me about serving his apprenticeship at his shop. Tim I agree with you whole-heartedly on one point especially and that is the scene has REALLY changed in that small self contained repair community in midtown, NYC...
I will definitely look up Kristen on your recommendation, thanks! Hopefully one day we'll bump into each other at the Michiko studio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.