P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Model 22 question

Default Model 22 question

Doesn't anybody play the Model 22? Alto or tenor? Looking for any input on this model. Thanks.

Charlie Parker played on one of the early Model 22 at some point.
    I usually recommend this mpc to beginner players. But this doesn’t necessarily make this mpc a “beginner model”; players of all level can enjoy playing this piece. The 22 is a small opening mpc (largest size is #5) it is easy to blow and blends well for section playing.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Runyon 22

I play a Runyon 22 on my tenor. I LOVE it. I have no trouble playing top to bottom with it. #4 opening.

I just received my first tenor yesterday (a 1957 Conn 10M) and have a Runyon 22 #5 facing as my first mpc for it. I have 2 types of reeds (Rico Orange box #2 1/2s and Gonzalez #2s). The bill of the mouthpiece is more rounded vs. the 'more square' cut of the reed tips. My questions are 1) Is this "normal", 2) if so, how should the reed tip line up with the mpc bill (eg. slight overhang at the corners, or aligned at the corners with the reed center barely touching center of the tip rail 3)if not, should I re-shape the reed tip by cutting or burning 4) Is there a good 'beginners' reed with a more rounded tip profile?

Depending on how I aligned the reed, I had slight difficulty in either the lower register (B, Bb) - or some difficulty hitting G2? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

JMac - Congrats on the new horn. Hope you love it. As for reeds, I use Fibracell reeds and they line up pretty well against the bill of the Runyon. I believe you do want the mouthpiece and the reed to line up with each other to prevent squeeking. As far as your difficulty with the different notes, have you had your horn checked for leaks? I had a problem with the low C for a while that turned out to be a very minor leak in that pad. Amazing how such a small change can make such a difference.

Thanks a lot Mark5047! I will probaly check out the Fibracells as so many people seem to like them, particularly on Tenors and Baris. The new sax is just phenomenal! My first ever vintage sax and the sound and feel of the Conn is just amazing. I think the issue with the low notes is a combination of the pads not being fully broken in (or seated?) and my needing to work (a lot more) on long tones! The sax was just re-padded with some of Curt's (MusicMedic) black 'Saxgourmet' pads and boy are they quiet. I played alto primarily and always owned student or intermediate horns. Now I think it will take something really special to get me to think about anything other than vintage. Thanks again for the info!

I ordered a 22 through Charlie A., and he even allowed a special order #7 opening. I use it on a late 60's Selmer Bundy tenor with Fibercell or La Voz medium reeds and it works perfectly top to bottom. Comes with a standard, metal lig which is just right. I also use a Custom #8 on my alto with Fibercell reeds, and it smokes! I don't even use the spoiler. It actually sounds better than the Smooth Bore #8!