P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Best chinese cheap tenor sax.

Rio Cuarto city, Córdoba state, Argentina, South America

Default Best chinese cheap tenor sax.

Well, it´s all said, what is the best chinese cheap tenor sax do you consider in terms of quality of sound and playability? I think that´s the top of the price to take in account is $ 900. Well, what do you think?

Default Re: Best chinese cheap tenor sax.

CE Winds at under $500, I have never read a bad comment, mine plays PERFECTLY in tune(curved soprano). I am use to reference 54's, it frankly shocked me how easy to play this curved soprano is. For probably $750 you can buy there pro line tenors. They look real nice, havent played them(not chinese though)

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    CE Winds... For probably $750 you can buy there pro line tenors. They look real nice, havent played them(not chinese though)
    They have one on eBay new now with a Buy it Now of $699 or something. Whoever snatches it up please give a review . . .
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Hey new guy here,I really wanted to get back to playing.I hadn't played for 30 years,took a break to have wife,kids and career.I took a chance and bought a Cecilio (Chinese)Nickel plated Tenor.The series 1 model,was 369 us on eBay,now is 460.Until yesterday I assumed my chops would take awhile to get back so wasn't sounding too great.Went to music shop yesterday picked up Rico reeds and mouthpiece protectors,now I am playing like I never did before,the tone and Intonation of this horn is great!I still one day will have a Buffet Paris(my horn of my dreams)I think this Cecilio will be a great horn take to jams,on the bus (don't drive)cheers

Distinguished SOTW Member Seasax's Avatar

i think walstein should be considered in this category and every horn they make at the moment is interesting, play well and other people rave about them (including pete thomas whose opinion should be held in high regard when considering horns)
    Conn "27 Chu
    ---- zinner adjustatone mpc,

TK Melody Endorser/
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    CE Winds at under $500, I have never read a bad comment, mine plays PERFECTLY in tune(curved soprano). I am use to reference 54's, it frankly shocked me how easy to play this curved soprano is. For probably $750 you can buy there pro line tenors. They look real nice, havent played them(not chinese though)
    For a inexpensive but not "cheap" Chinese saxophone you should look at C.E. Winds Alpha series on ebay.

I have had a few above average dealings with this company.

For a bit more money though you should consider both C.E. Winds Omega line, and Phil Barone horns.

Of course even though I play tested the C.E.'s I chose to go with vintage Selmer Tenor, Vintage Noblet Paris Alto, and S-6 Yani Soprano but they were so committed to service the returns were easy.

I am going to purchase a Saxello for the fun of it and will probably go to Brian at Christopher Elliot because they were so darn nice.

BB

Do not rule out Saxophone.com saxophones. Not only are their advanced(Chinese) saxes top notch, but you also have the option of a generous return policy, and a rental program. Here is the model they have on sale.

http://www.saxophone.com/saxophoneco...wgoldkeys.aspx

The only main difference between their advanced/student model and their pro model are the springs, the ribbed contruction, and the finish. I own an Advanced model Soprano that has been my workhorse gig horn for the last few months, and it has held up great!

Also, their pro model tenor(Taiwanese) is excellent for a few more dollars!

Garrett bends over backwards to take care of his customers also. These are the reason I have purchased all of my horns from them.

Good luck on your search!

Phineas

Distinguished SOTW Technician BOPITY FUNK's Avatar

Bauhaus-Walstein, quite remarkable. Peter Scaddon at Studio Music in Wales UK does them at the "right price"
    Regards BF

Distinguished SOTW Member themacintrasher's Avatar

I've heard great things about walstein

I have not played one, but I would think the Selmer Prelude would be good -- on the basis of resale value alone...

Distinguished SOTW Technician Stephen Howard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissNiceness View Post
    I have not played one, but I would think the Selmer Prelude would be good -- on the basis of resale value alone...
    At the price the horns are new it's hardly worth the bother of considering the resale value - and whilst I'd say that it's an 'ok' horn for the price, it's not particularly special.

Assuming it falls within the stated price range then I'd say it has to be the Bauhaus-Walstein - the depth of tone these horns put out is worth the price alone.

Regards,
    Stephen Howard
    www.shwoodwind.co.uk
    - Woodwind instrument repairs & period restorations
    Author, Haynes Saxophone Manual, Haynes Clarinet Manual

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

A 1950's-'60's American or European stencil...

...which costs $300-700.

Then use the leftover $200-400 or so for tech work...

...and anything left beyond that, buy your Significant Other something Pretty.

THAT'S the best cheap chinese tenor you can get for under $900.....

I have 3 CE Winds saxes. Omega Alto, Alpha curved Soprano and I just got an Alpha Tenor. All three are great horns and I'm very pleased with them. I made some posts on here before and was accused of being a shill. Guess because I spoke highly of CE Winds. I'd be glad to give my thoughts on any or all of my CE horns.
    Doc