Antigua Winds

Thread: Herbie Nichols!

Thumbs up Herbie Nichols!

This guy is becoming one of my favorite pianists. Really interesting and unsung cat who combined a lot of different influences to make his own unique sound. Truly had his own way of swinging, too.

Anyone else into him?

Distinguished SOTW Member Razzy's Avatar

Default Re: Herbie Nichols!

Yep. Check out Ben Allisons' Herbie Nichols Project album, too. Really amazing. The tune Love is Proximity has become a favorite of my band and I intend on doing a new arrangement of it before the month is out. Herbie never recorded it or even released it for anybody else to record. I think Ben Allison found it while doing research on Herbie at the library of congress...
    My quintet album - Released June 2013. Please enjoy.
    Glenn Miller Orchestra - See when we're near you and come on out to a show! Ask me about comp tickets.
    Mike Lorenz - a great musician who I collaborate with often. He also produced my album.

Default Re: Herbie Nichols!

Quote Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
    Yep. Check out Ben Allisons' Herbie Nichols Project album, too. Really amazing. The tune Love is Proximity has become a favorite of my band and I intend on doing a new arrangement of it before the month is out. Herbie never recorded it or even released it for anybody else to record. I think Ben Allison found it while doing research on Herbie at the library of congress...
    Thanks man--I'll have to check that out. I have one of Ben Allison's recordings and definitely dug it.