Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Default Re: Help need people with guts!

What!?! Come on cpete, no guts? (your own words) and yes, I did it..I am at the end of Round 3

Arrow Admin Note:

This thread has been merged with another on the the same subject - Sorry for the little inconsistencies that may occur in the order of replies.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Default Re: SOTW Blues recording

Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harmonizerNJ View Post
    I just listened to Round 4 again, with the latest updates. Nice solos - the whole thing was really pleasing to listen to.
    On behalf of just me - thanks! Was a pleasure to do and I've enjoyed listening to the whole - which truly is much better than the sum of the parts!

My co-conspirators can answer for themselves!
    Yes kind of the opposite of entropy--a synergy.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Official Spender of Too Much Time on SOTW/P. Mauriat Fanatic jmoen3's Avatar

I finally took the time and listened to all the recordings and they sound great. I'm about to start my recording for round 5!
    Alto: P. Mauriat 67R w/ Solid Nickel Silver Neck/Drake Custom Ceramic .085/Van. Java 2.5 Reeds and Hahn Synthetic 2.5
    Tenor: CE Winds Brushed Vintage Gold Alpha Tenor/Jody Jazz ESP .120/RJS 2M Unfiled
    Soprano: CE Winds Silver Plated Alpha Saxello/Yanagisawa 7 HR/ Van Java 2.5 Reeds
    My Playing: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=954022
    -Jared

Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

Just Mailed in my chorus for round 5, it's realy kind of interesting to play one chorus instead of 3 or 4 on a blues, makes you think. if anyones interested i played this on a JJHR 9* that Eric Falcon refaced for me it's realy a great playing piece, check him out.............

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

[QUOTE=Rufusax;1267949 it's realy kind of interesting to play one chorus instead of 3 or 4 on a blues, makes you think.[/QUOTE]

This is true. It's often what I've had to do on recording sessions where there's only space for one solo.

I also find sometimes on gigs, even when other people are taking extended solos, I find that if I do one or two choruses and I'm happy with it, I stop. I know that if I go on and on it's often because I'm just not saying what I want, so I keep trying until I do. So in a way, one or two choruses is a sign to me that I nailed it. Aha , I can feel a blog stirring inside.

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harmonizerNJ View Post
    I just listened to Round 4 again, with the latest updates. Nice solos - the whole thing was really pleasing to listen to.
    On behalf of just me - thanks! Was a pleasure to do and I've enjoyed listening to the whole - which truly is much better than the sum of the parts!

My co-conspirators can answer for themselves!
    Yes kind of the opposite of entropy--a synergy.

or, "misery loves company"
    if you could hear what i hear, you'd like it a lot better than what i play.

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

When you have plenty of time though, your solos can be a lot more expressive. I find in the short ones, I try to say it all in 4-8 bars. With a long solo, you can set it up with some long notes or play off the melody, then ramp it up a bit, wail for a while, and then bring it all back around to a conclusion. That can be really difficult with 4 bars....

On the flip side, I'll take what I'm sure is an 8 bar solo with my R&B band, and just as I've finalized it, the vocalist will signal me to keep going. That can be as aggravating as not having enough time to express yourself. Then your faced with following up your own "best".....

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

So far I only have two from round 5 and one from round 6. I have some time to mix this in a week or two, so can I politely (please) ask those who haven't sent me their files to try to do it soon. What I might do is use smoothjazztenor's contribution for round 6 into round 5 if anyone needs more time.

Thanks

And please make sure you send it with the right subject header (as mentioned on the contact form or the SOTW instructions page), everything else to this email address goes straight into my spam folder.

Thanks Pete...I do NOT mind if you can push mine up to Round 5...sounds equally good too.
    Selmer Mark VI Alto. Beechler Bellite #7. Fibracell Premier #3.5
    Selmer Mark VI Soprano. Selmer S80 'H'. Alexander NY #3

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Ok guys I need some help. I have audacity on my desk top and can get it to run. I'm using my web cam for a mic. I just can't seem to figure out how to open the backing track in audacity. I would imagine that after I get it open and I get my track ready to record I will need to send it through some head phones. This is my first time being my own engineer or an engineer period for that matter. If someone has the time and patience to get me through this step by step or just give me some pointers I would owe you big time. I want to get a track up and I really like the takes that all the brave souls have posted. Great job every one.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by stormott77 View Post
    Ok guys I need some help. I have audacity on my desk top and can get it to run. I'm using my web cam for a mic. I just can't seem to figure out how to open the backing track in audacity. I would imagine that after I get it open and I get my track ready to record I will need to send it through some head phones. This is my first time being my own engineer or an engineer period for that matter. If someone has the time and patience to get me through this step by step or just give me some pointers I would owe you big time. I want to get a track up and I really like the takes that all the brave souls have posted. Great job every one.

You can load an audio file one of a few ways... you can open Audacity, and just choose File>open, which will bring it in by itself. Or, you can choose File>Import, which will add it to any tracks you already have. You can also just from Windows right click on an audio file and choose "Open with...", then choose Audacity as the application to open it.

Make sure that in Audacity you have your settings set up right. You might have to play around a bit with the input/output settings to get the mic you want, and the ability to hear the backing track while you record.

Note that depending on your computer, Audacity may introduce a little bit of delay to your recorded track, and you'll have to bump it forward to get it in sync. You can test this by playing a few short staccato notes on the top of the beat, or just clapping (which I prefer), and seeing where it ends up relative to the beat. You can zoom in to the soundform to see exactly how close it is. That'll let you know how much you'll have to move your recording after the fact (you can also have it compensate automatically, but I forget where in the settings it is).

That should get you going... good luck!

Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

Quote Originally Posted by SactoPete View Post

You can load an audio file one of a few ways... you can open Audacity, and just choose File>open, which will bring it in by itself. Or, you can choose File>Import, which will add it to any tracks you already have. You can also just from Windows right click on an audio file and choose "Open with...", then choose Audacity as the application to open it.

Make sure that in Audacity you have your settings set up right. You might have to play around a bit with the input/output settings to get the mic you want, and the ability to hear the backing track while you record.

Note that depending on your computer, Audacity may introduce a little bit of delay to your recorded track, and you'll have to bump it forward to get it in sync. You can test this by playing a few short staccato notes on the top of the beat, or just clapping (which I prefer), and seeing where it ends up relative to the beat. You can zoom in to the soundform to see exactly how close it is. That'll let you know how much you'll have to move your recording after the fact (you can also have it compensate automatically, but I forget where in the settings it is).

That should get you going... good luck!

Pete
    Thank you very much Pete. I got it imported. Now I just have to wait for everyone to leave my house so I can get to some blues! I'm sure I will still fumble along the way just trying to get this file to Pete Thomas but I'm making it happen. This is to much fun.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Well I got everything going but it looks like my little logitech camera can't handle my sax. I have all the inputs turned down as much as possilbe and if I play louder than mp it just pegs everything in the red and sounds like doo doo. Does anybody have any ideas on a good cheap mic that I can use with a usb or any other ideas? Thanks again.

Well I got everything going but it looks like my little logitech camera can't handle my sax. I have all the inputs turned down as much as possilbe and if I play louder than mp it just pegs everything in the red and sounds like doo doo. Does anybody have any ideas on a good cheap mic that I can use with a usb or any other ideas? Thanks again.
    Try this:

http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

---with an sm57(everyone should have one--it's the audio engineer's equivalent of a pencil)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2013

If you have some Mics kicking around (I suspect you do), and the issue is getting it into the PC, your best bang for the buck would be to find an inexpensive USB pre-amp... there's lots of them out there, and I think they are mostly equivalent. Go to musiciansfriend, zzsounds, or sweetwater and take a look, I'm not up to date on them. Others may have specific recommendations.

Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

I think most of my mics are on the road with out me. I donated a couple to a band a did a lot of touring with. I will dig through my gear bag and see whats up. Thanks again for all the help. I will get this going.

I think most of my mics are on the road with out me. I donated a couple to a band a did a lot of touring with. I will dig through my gear bag and see whats up. Thanks again for all the help. I will get this going.
    Drop by my house anytime. I'll record you.

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    Drop by my house anytime. I'll record you.
    Well why didn't you say so. The North Shore is starting to rumble so I could get some waves in too! I just booked my ticket! I wish. I haven't been to Hawaii in over a year, that's just not good for a person.

Forum Contributor 2013

Storm, I haven't tried this, but I like the bulletproof nature of Shure products, and it looks pretty slick... nice and portable:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ter?sku=580350

Peter

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast