P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: SOTW Blues recording

Default Re: SOTW Blues recording

I think we're struggling to get the last one or two current entries in to close off this edition.

It sounds like Pete may run another SOTW Blues recording process some time after he has completed this one, if my reading of his responses is correct...

DanPerezSax? You're finished now? [Impnt]
    Ciao. [ KennyD01 on YouTube ] -->1923 Conn New Wonder Alto Sax #118,108 +Pomarico Crystal M/P -->1947 Conn 444N Big Bore Bb Clarinet #B324663L +Pomarico Diamond Crystal M/P -->1967 Boosey & Hawkes Edgware Bb Clarinet #288,983 +Mitchell Lurie Crystal & Master by Gregory Hollywood M/P

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

o, the agony!
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Smile Re: SOTW Blues recording

Quote Originally Posted by swansong View Post
    o, the agony!
    Well, have we heard from cpete? I sent him a PM but he might have blocked me - not that I have any real reason to suspect he is blocking me 'cause I'm usually pretty much a not-blocked person (I think?...).

If cpete is done and DanPerezSax did eventually get around to making his recording, we're done and might want to check in with Pete Thomas to see where we are at.

Swansong? See what cpete and DanPerezSax are up to please? [Impnt] I'm not gonna pester either of them more than I have already...
    Ciao. [ KennyD01 on YouTube ] -->1923 Conn New Wonder Alto Sax #118,108 +Pomarico Crystal M/P -->1947 Conn 444N Big Bore Bb Clarinet #B324663L +Pomarico Diamond Crystal M/P -->1967 Boosey & Hawkes Edgware Bb Clarinet #288,983 +Mitchell Lurie Crystal & Master by Gregory Hollywood M/P

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

I have files from:

wisedude, KennyD, clarnibass, swansong and danperez.

I've started working on the track.

I also have littlewailer waiting to do the next round! I notice a few other people expressed an interest, you need to contact me via PM if you already did and got no response, I apologise!

Quote Originally Posted by clarnibass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    If in doubt, is it possible to mix in just one of the count in drum beats? I would be able to sync to that.
    Yes, I will mix in some of the drums counting and re-send it.
    That was useful - the 1st drum beat was in fact not at the beginning of the audio file so something had gone wrong and I was able to line it up.

Quote Originally Posted by pete thomas View Post
    ... I've started working on the track. ...

awesome! :d

Forum Contributor 2011 swansong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KennyD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete thomas View Post
    ... I've started working on the track. ...

awesome! :d
    Second that!! THANKS PETE!!!
    '67 King Super 20 Tenor 427xxx ~ '38 Conn 26M VIII alto 284xxx NY neck ~ '19 Buescher C soprano
    "I am on the edge of mysteries and the veil is getting thinner and thinner." -Louis Pasteur

Distinguished SOTW Member Rufusax's Avatar

I have files from:

wisedude, KennyD, clarnibass, swansong and danperez.

I've started working on the track.

I also have littlewailer waiting to do the next round! I notice a few other people expressed an interest, you need to contact me via PM if you already did and got no response, I apologise!
    PM Sent

OK it is up on the site at http://www.petethomas.co.uk/saxontheweb.html

Well done everyone!

(Dan Perez's is the wrong take we just found out, it may get updated if he sends me the right one)

The next round will be a little way off, but anyone interested should now email me, not PM (as my inbox is hard to manage):

CONTACT PETE ABOUT THE BLUES RECORDING

and choose the SOTW blues option from the dropdown menu.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Nice job on Round #4 guys! All strong players, I really LOVE that bass clarinet!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Sounds great everyone. Bass clarinet sounded cool.
    Dan Perez, if that was the "wrong take", I can't wait to hear the right one.

Talking Re: SOTW Blues recording

Not quite sure how it worked out that way but mine's leading the beat by a whisker rather than sitting in the groove where I expected it to be on the backing... Just a fraction of a second, but it sounds 'strange' to me...

And I love that bass clarinet...
    And Dan? Not bad at all for a 'throw-together'...

Great mix all round, well done guys...

Thanks again for all your hard work, Pete... And that little bit I did for the ending wraps the whole piece up well - glad you could use it...

Not quite sure how it worked out that way but mine's leading the beat by a whisker rather than sitting in the groove where I expected it to be on the backing... Just a fraction of a second, but it sounds 'strange' to me...
    Well, it's exactly how I gopt the file, 2 bars of silence start bang on the beat then the solo. Do you want me to try nudging it a bit later?

Wink Re: SOTW Blues recording

Well, it's exactly how I got the file, 2 bars of silence start bang on the beat then the solo. Do you want me to try nudging it a bit later?
    Ooh, ooh, I'd love you to! (If'n it's not a huge amount of trouble to do...) You'll find it sounds much better starting just a whisker later and deeper into the beat...

I'm not quite sure how I managed to botch the timing on it but I'd love to hear it matched up closer to how I thought I'd timed it...

Again, thanks muchly, Pete!

Well, it's exactly how I got the file, 2 bars of silence start bang on the beat then the solo. Do you want me to try nudging it a bit later?
    Ooh, ooh, I'd love you to! (If'n it's not a huge amount of trouble to do...) You'll find it sounds much better starting just a whisker later and deeper into the beat...

I'm not quite sure how I managed to botch the timing on it but I'd love to hear it matched up closer to how I thought I'd timed it...

Again, thanks muchly, Pete!
    The best thing then is to send it to me with the first snare drum count in on the track so I can line it up

Distinguished SOTW Member DanPerezSax's Avatar

Thanks, harmonizer and Kenny D. I did work on this thing, and I think I had like 26 takes, which is why I sent the "wrong" one. It was not the one I intended, but I think it sounds good now that Pete's mixed it in. I'll send the one I'd intended when I get a chance, but since I've started this new day job I have had very little time to chill on my home computer and bounce that take. Probably I'll get to it on Saturday.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 harmonizerNJ's Avatar

Pete, I have always wondered how you can line up the timing of these tracks that you get from us, with the intent of the person who recorded their solo. On SOTW #2 I had intended mine as a more behind-the-beat kind of thing than how it came out in the compilation, but after listening to it I realized I had given you absolutely nothing in the recording I sent that you could have used as a frame of reference. I have a multitrack recorder, so I think if I had thought this through better I should have asked you how I could give you something to help with the lineup, like perhaps give you a stereo recording where one of the channels included the backing track.

Quote Originally Posted by harmonizerNJ View Post
    but after listening to it I realized I had given you absolutely nothing in the recording I sent that you could have used as a frame of reference. I have a multitrack recorder, so I think if I had thought this through better I should have asked you how I could give you something to help with the lineup, like perhaps give you a stereo recording where one of the channels included the backing track.
    I line them up from two bars before they start. I ask everyone to send me an audiofile that starts exactly on the beat of the first beat of the (two bar) count in. Otherwise, I would not be able to line them up.

If in doubt you can include the drum beats of the count in (what clarnibass did)

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by harmonizerNJ View Post
    but after listening to it I realized I had given you absolutely nothing in the recording I sent that you could have used as a frame of reference. I have a multitrack recorder, so I think if I had thought this through better I should have asked you how I could give you something to help with the lineup, like perhaps give you a stereo recording where one of the channels included the backing track.
    I line them up from two bars before they start. I ask everyone to send me an audiofile that starts exactly on the beat of the first beat of the (two bar) count in. Otherwise, I would not be able to line them up.

If in doubt you can include the drum beats of the count in (what clarnibass did)
    I had problems in the previous round, as well - except I think I was further behind than I intended (Pete kindly fixed it for me). Perhaps different programs / methods add or take a way a hair or two when exporting the file. I'd suggest the best bet is to put the first snare beat in!

Pete
    Disclaimer: My opinions are not based in any way on research, knowledge, experience, talent, insight, facts, or in some cases reality. Take any advice I offer at your own risk.

A few of Pete's recordings: Check it Out!

OK everyone, this is getting a bit out of hand for me. I just noticed some people sent emails with the wrong subject header, most of those would have gone straight into my spam folder and disappeared.

So please don't contact me using the address above, (and not via PM either) please use the form here:

CONTACT PETE ABOUT THE BLUES RECORDING

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast